Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

will it work if only one of us wants to be in oz

will it work if only one of us wants to be in oz

Old Mar 4th 2009, 12:59 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: will it work if only one of us wants to be in oz

Do you prefer your wife or Australia?
Old Mar 4th 2009, 1:19 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

Kind of what I was trying to say...but you put it better!
Old Mar 4th 2009, 3:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jayr
Succinct! Absolutely to the point.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 3:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

I thinks it's fair to say, we could all learn something from your brevity.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 3:51 am
Forum Regular

sawbang is an unknown quantity at this point

hum" not fare
Old Mar 4th 2009, 7:38 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sawbang
hum" not fare
How isn't it fair? There have been many a marriage split up because of this immigration thingy.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 6:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really nice

Originally Posted by spartacus
I thinks it's fair to say, we could all learn something from your brevity.
As I recall, your answer was two letters long for original posters question, so you hold current record!
Old Mar 4th 2009, 7:22 pm
A horse walks into a bar.

russmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond repute

It's fair alright....... You're caught up in all this and if anything like me looking at Oz through tinted specs. You live in the New Forest area? You live in a spectacular area of the world, stick it out and enjoy your life on your doorstep.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

sawbang is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by russmcp
It's fair alright....... You're caught up in all this and if anything like me looking at Oz through tinted specs. You live in the New Forest area? You live in a spectacular area of the world, stick it out and enjoy your life on your doorstep.
perhaps sometimes you don't no what you got until it's gone "but how do you no until you have tried it
Old Mar 4th 2009, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute

You can 'try' it but but at what cost?

As you said, try it for a couple of years and see, but what if you love it and she hates it, would you be prepared to return to the UK? Sadly many are not so the relationship breaks down. That's a huge cost to scratch an itch.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 8:16 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

perhaps sometimes you don't no what you got until it's gone "but how do you no until you have tried it
You could apply that same sentiment to your wife......

You don't know what effect all this will have on her. She clearly doesn't want to go. So you have to ask yourself, what happens if you do get her to move and you love it here and she hates it? Would you still want to stay in Oz even if it meant losing her? Or would you return to the UK?

I think asking what matters more, your wife or Oz is pretty relevant in this situation. I'm all for going to explore and see what things are like, but I can guarantee you there is no way we would have come here if my husband wasn't up for it. That's a recipe for disaster in my opinion.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 8:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

. . . you don't no what you got until it's gone
. . . they paved paradise and put up a parking lot.

Your point is?

If you really want to go, just go on your own.

Sorted.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
. . . they paved paradise and put up a parking lot.

Your point is?

If you really want to go, just go on your own.

Sorted.
Overwhelming opinion of likely outcome is ...no it won't work if you drag her here.

Options
1. Agree a trial period and mean it when you say you'll come back if it doesn't work for everyone. Consider the upheaval to kids schooling etc
2. Give up your 'dream' for the sake of your family
3. Take them anyway and risk the consequences if they continue to hate it.
4. Come alone and risk your marriage that way.

When you say she has been opposed to most moves .....have you moved a lot? Maybe she doesn't want to go through it all again - to anywhere.

When you say those moves worked out ok....is that your opinion or hers?

Its easy to slate you as being selfish and uncaring to your family but its hard to give up a dream especially when you think its for their benefits too. Just make sure you are really being honest with yourself before making decisions for them.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 1:19 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

You claim you want the best for the kids yet you are willing to put the relationship of their mother and father at risk.

Do you think it will be good for the kids to be in the middle of the strains that this will put on your relationship with your wife?

What if you come here and she wants to go back, with them? If that happened, and you also went back then she will have "spoilt your dream".

Or perhaps they go back and you stay, achieving "your" dream.

I suspect you are using your kids as some sort of bargaining chip, transferring your desires into their wellbeing.

Just what exactly do you think it is about Australia that will do the best for your kids? I am honestly interested to know. I know what aspects of life in Australia are good for my kids, but then I have lived here for over 6 years.

hum" not fare

Last edited by jayr; Mar 5th 2009 at 1:21 am. Reason: addition of quotes for emphasis
Old Mar 5th 2009, 1:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I suspect you are using your kids as some sort of bargaining chip, transferring your desires into their wellbeing.

He's doing a 'Hector the Projector' isn't he?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.