Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

will we be tared and feathered by red necks??

will we be tared and feathered by red necks??

Old Nov 12th 2008, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

simon2cairns has a brilliant futuresimon2cairns has a brilliant futuresimon2cairns has a brilliant futuresimon2cairns has a brilliant futuresimon2cairns has a brilliant futuresimon2cairns has a brilliant future
Default will we be tared and feathered by red necks??

Hello all, as a lefty, inclusive, gay, racism hating type of chapys will we (partner and our daughter) be got within hours of landing and living in Cairns??

Get there in january and wobbling!!! our well meaning friends (who dont want us to go!) are saying we have no chance!!

???????
Old Nov 12th 2008, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: will we be tared and feathered by red necks??

Think you will be fine, its the humidity you need to worry about
Old Nov 12th 2008, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

simon2cairns has a brilliant futuresimon2cairns has a brilliant futuresimon2cairns has a brilliant futuresimon2cairns has a brilliant futuresimon2cairns has a brilliant futuresimon2cairns has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by 4Margaret
Think you will be fine, its the humidity you need to worry about
thanks! our plan is if it does not work in cairns i have promised my other half that we will live in st kilda's beach!!!
Old Nov 12th 2008, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

melbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud of

Cairns has a lot of tourists from all walks of life so the population is used to all types of people and are not as redneck as you might think. Of course there is an element that will be narrow minded wherever you go but I do know there is an active gay community there and even a gay resort (Turtle Cove) so it can't be that bad. I suppose it depends on the type of people you associate with.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 9:10 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simon2cairns
Hello all, as a lefty, inclusive, gay, racism hating type of chapys will we (partner and our daughter) be got within hours of landing and living in Cairns??

Get there in january and wobbling!!! our well meaning friends (who dont want us to go!) are saying we have no chance!!

???????
Are you saying you're a lefty, inclusive, gay hating type or that you're a lefty and inclusive and gay but hate racism type I think your friends are spinning you a line because they'll miss you. Cairns has gays and happy they appear to be. You won't be the only gay in the village, put it that way
Old Nov 12th 2008, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Are you saying you're a lefty, inclusive, gay hating type or that you're a lefty and inclusive and gay but hate racism type I think your friends are spinning you a line because they'll miss you. Cairns has gays and happy they appear to be. You won't be the only gay in the village, put it that way
Good point!!!! very unclear....... I am a lefty ect ect
thanks it could look that i had become the enemy!!!
Old Nov 12th 2008, 9:20 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Good point!!!! very unclear....... I am a lefty ect ect
thanks it could look that i had become the enemy!!!
No worries
Old Nov 12th 2008, 10:09 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

???????
You'll be fine in Cairns...it's a bit of a melting pot of cultures, travellers, all walks of life etc. Just don't stop anywhere between Cairns & Brisbane though!
Old Nov 12th 2008, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bcworld
You'll be fine in Cairns...it's a bit of a melting pot of cultures, travellers, all walks of life etc. Just don't stop anywhere between Cairns & Brisbane though!
we were thinking of getting a campervan in brisy and traveling up but we may change our minds! long way to go!!
when we traveled around we did meet some LGB people wherever we met who said it was great to live in cairns but they were abit concerned about letting other people know there sexuality at work!
Old Nov 12th 2008, 11:06 am
...feeling hot hot hot!!!

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of

we were thinking of getting a campervan in brisy and traveling up but we may change our minds! long way to go!!
when we traveled around we did meet some LGB people wherever we met who said it was great to live in cairns but they were abit concerned about letting other people know there sexuality at work!
Hi Simon, you will be fine don't worry about it. Cairns is a very cosmopolitan city, I know quite few gay people, mostly people I work with, and they have had no issues, there are gay clubs and bars also.

Stop worrying
Old Nov 12th 2008, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by wannabauzzienurse
Hi Simon, you will be fine don't worry about it. Cairns is a very cosmopolitan city, I know quite few gay people, mostly people I work with, and they have had no issues, there are gay clubs and bars also.

Stop worrying
thanks............
hoping to work in sexual health then should have no problem!!
Old Nov 12th 2008, 11:09 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Do people at work need telling? Obviously you tell friends and family but work colleagues? Nah, not until they're friends. I think that goes for gay or straight. Without negating the importance to you, I think it's irrelevant to anyone else.

Gone all serious. Sorry
Old Nov 12th 2008, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

Do people at work need telling? Obviously you tell friends and family but work colleagues? Nah, not until they're friends. I think that goes for gay or straight. Without negating the importance to you, I think it's irrelevant to anyone else.

Gone all serious. Sorry
yes just sitting back on my high backed chair thinng about that!!!!

See your point but a am "married" and if someone asks about my family it feels abit crapy to lie or avoid the subject. The Uk has improved to the point now that I am very open about it, I am not a raving homo or a flag waiver but its good just to be who you are and feeling free to be just that is important. We have 5 year old daughter who outs us all the time when she calls us dad and daddy!!! cannot say to her that her family is wrong!

ooowww Oh there I go (in camp accenty type way) just to stop the seriousness!!!
Old Nov 12th 2008, 11:34 am
Crazy Cat Lady

yes just sitting back on my high backed chair thinng about that!!!!

See your point but a am "married" and if someone asks about my family it feels abit crapy to lie or avoid the subject. The Uk has improved to the point now that I am very open about it, I am not a raving homo or a flag waiver but its good just to be who you are and feeling free to be just that is important. We have 5 year old daughter who outs us all the time when she calls us dad and daddy!!! cannot say to her that her family is wrong!

ooowww Oh there I go (in camp accenty type way) just to stop the seriousness!!!
You're right of course. I just remember being asked by a colleague years ago if I was straight or gay and happily told him to mind his own business I'm straight but decided it had f*** all to do with him. If I were you I'd just put a pic of you and yours on your desk and if they want to ask they can. Your daughter sounds great. Two parents who adore her are all she needs, regardless of sex.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

You're right of course. I just remember being asked by a colleague years ago if I was straight or gay and happily told him to mind his own business I'm straight but decided it had f*** all to do with him. If I were you I'd just put a pic of you and yours on your desk and if they want to ask they can. Your daughter sounds great. Two parents who adore her are all she needs, regardless of sex.
thanks!!!!! our daughters a monkey!!! we have been told that we will have to have a swimming pool and she wants to be by the sea!! right off to ebay the whole house!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.