Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Will we pay tax on UK rental income whilst on 12 month Australian holiday visa?

Will we pay tax on UK rental income whilst on 12 month Australian holiday visa?

Old Mar 20th 2018, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

ColinD2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Will we pay tax on UK rental income whilst on 12 month Australian holiday visa?

Hi
My partner Elaine and I are visiting Australia and New Zealand for up to 12 months from June this year on a 12 month holiday visa. We will be part funding our trip by renting out our two houses in the UK during our absence and this will be our only sources of income during our trip. We cannot work in Australia or New Zealand. My question is, will we need to pay any tax on the rental? We pay tax now of course, but that is because we also work and this takes us over our allowance, but in the next tax year we will not work and therefore we will be well below our allowance.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

Colin
Old Mar 20th 2018, 8:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will we pay tax on UK rental income whilst on 12 month Australian holiday visa?

Originally Posted by ColinD2
Hi
My partner Elaine and I are visiting Australia and New Zealand for up to 12 months from June this year on a 12 month holiday visa. We will be part funding our trip by renting out our two houses in the UK during our absence and this will be our only sources of income during our trip. We cannot work in Australia or New Zealand. My question is, will we need to pay any tax on the rental? We pay tax now of course, but that is because we also work and this takes us over our allowance, but in the next tax year we will not work and therefore we will be well below our allowance.

Thanks

Colin
It's still income. Of course you need to pay tax on it. How much tax is dependent on how much you make from it.

Put that value into a tax calculator. If it's really low then you might escape tax but better of getting a higher amount and paying some tax.
Old Mar 20th 2018, 8:57 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will we pay tax on UK rental income whilst on 12 month Australian holiday visa?

Hi

Thanks

Colin
Hi Colin. You'll need to check with HMRC re your tax obligations while you're on holiday. You'll still be residents of the UK for tax purposes and all the usual HMRC tax rules will apply to you both. You'll still be eligible for your tax free allowance but I'd hazard a guess that even though you'll be under the tax free allowance you'd still need to report to HMRC, at the very least in the form of a self-assessment tax return after 5 April of the relevant year.

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Mar 20th 2018 at 9:00 pm.
Old Mar 20th 2018, 9:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Beoz
It's still income. Of course you need to pay tax on it. How much tax is dependent on how much you make from it.

Put that value into a tax calculator. If it's really low then you might escape tax but better of getting a higher amount and paying some tax.
You're missing the point. As I've already said, the amount we will get from the rent will be well below our allowance, so if we stayed in the UK we would not pay tax full stop. However there is a scheme called non-resident landlord scheme which says that if you're resident outside the UK you pay tax on rent from properties in the UK. I guess what I'm really asking is, does a 12 month holiday to Australia on a holiday visa count as being resident outside the UK?
Old Mar 20th 2018, 9:05 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz

If the OP and his partner jointly own the rental properties, split the rental income equally and have no other taxable income, they can receive a total of up to £23,000 net rental income in a UK tax year without having to pay any tax.
Old Mar 20th 2018, 9:07 pm
Concierge

You're missing the point. As I've already said, the amount we will get from the rent will be well below our allowance, so if we stayed in the UK we would not pay tax full stop. However there is a scheme called non-resident landlord scheme which says that if you're resident outside the UK you pay tax on rent from properties in the UK. I guess what I'm really asking is, does a 12 month holiday to Australia on a holiday visa count as being resident outside the UK?
No, it doesn't.
Old Mar 20th 2018, 9:16 pm
Just Joined

Thank you
Old Mar 20th 2018, 9:22 pm
Concierge

Thank you
You're very welcome. Enjoy your holiday!
Old Mar 20th 2018, 10:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
If the OP and his partner jointly own the rental properties, split the rental income equally and have no other taxable income, they can receive a total of up to £23,000 net rental income in a UK tax year without having to pay any tax.
I think I said as much in my second paragraph.
Old Mar 21st 2018, 4:49 am
Forum Regular

M0zza is on a distinguished road

He wasn’t missing the point as far as I can tell. Whether you are tax resident or not is completely irrelevant. Your UK rental income subject to taxation in the UK regardless of your residency status. If your total income for the tax year falls below your personal thresholds then the tax bill is zero. Otherwise the usual tax bands apply.

The non residents form only relates to how the tax is collected, it doesn’t make any difference to the overall tax bill. Yes, I would fill it in so that tax is not automatically deducted at the source, however even if it was, this would correct itself once you complete a tax return.

Last edited by M0zza; Mar 21st 2018 at 4:56 am.
Old Mar 21st 2018, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

There are two issues here. Firstly, will you fall under the UK Non-resident Landlords Scheme? The answer seems to be yes - see 2.3. You could ring the helpline on 03000 516 644 if you wanted to discuss it with HMRC.

Secondly, will you have a liability to Australian tax on that income - or at least will you have to do an Australian tax return? I don't believe so because you will be on temporary visas so only taxable (in your circumstances) on Australian income. Not really my area though.

As for whether you will remain UK tax residents, probably, but maybe not depending on when you leave and return! There's no real avoiding have a fun time reading this - it's not as bad as it looks as you aren't being employed outside the UK. Will it matter whether you are or aren't UK tax resident? Probably not, but you will have to determine whether you are or not as it asks you on your tax returns (which you will have to complete whether or not you do now if you do fall under the NRL scheme).

Edited to add: just reread your original post and seen you are leaving in June. In that case you will almost certainly remain UK resident as you will fall foul of the second automatic UK test (1.24) in 2018/19 and won't be abroad for enough of 2019/20 to be non-UK resident.

Last edited by louie; Mar 21st 2018 at 1:58 pm.