Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Will a vegetarian have a problem getting invited to barbecues?

Will a vegetarian have a problem getting invited to barbecues?

Old Aug 7th 2008, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

astonmartinv8 has a brilliant futureastonmartinv8 has a brilliant futureastonmartinv8 has a brilliant futureastonmartinv8 has a brilliant futureastonmartinv8 has a brilliant futureastonmartinv8 has a brilliant future
Default Will a vegetarian have a problem getting invited to barbecues?

...Just asking on behalf of a friend - ahem!

Cheers,

Marcus.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 9:44 pm
Heading to WA

roamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really nice
Default Re: Will a vegetarian have a problem getting invited to barbecues?

Not problem, you can have salad and bread rolls.

As a veggie, if invited to a barbecue in any country, I always arrive with some veggie sausages or burgers just in case.

People don't mean to be bad but they do tend to assume a potato and some coleslaw will do, but it's so unhealthy being expected to stock up on just bread and starch all the time. Veggie sausages and burgers can just be stuck on some tin foil (so no need to have the BBQ cleaned).
Old Aug 7th 2008, 11:09 pm
Forum Regular

jonnywonny is an unknown quantity at this point

just take an apple with you LOL jonny
Old Aug 7th 2008, 11:18 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not a vegetarian but don't eat a lot of meat and I manage fine.

Make up some veg kebabs to chuck on the barbie. Do you eat seafood? Take some skewered prawns along - but make sure you check for people with seafood allergies and maybe cook them last thing. Maybe take along a big bowl of couscous or pasta salad so you're not restricted to a lettuce leaf.

I always take plenty to share, as the hardened carnivores always seem to like to try what I take. Don't feel bad about being strict and making sure you save some for yourself, though. Last one I went to, I ended up eating salad after all my salmon fishcakes were given to the kids.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 11:30 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roamer25
Not problem, you can have salad and bread rolls.

As a veggie, if invited to a barbecue in any country, I always arrive with some veggie sausages or burgers just in case.

People don't mean to be bad but they do tend to assume a potato and some coleslaw will do, but it's so unhealthy being expected to stock up on just bread and starch all the time. Veggie sausages and burgers can just be stuck on some tin foil (so no need to have the BBQ cleaned).
If you are coming to WA I suggest your start weaning yourself off veggie sausages and burgers unless you make them yourselves. The availability of stuff like that here is not good.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

Got to agree finding veggie stuff (especially if you don't like the fake meat stuff) is pretty hard here in qld too.

OH is veggie and Aussie blokes do look at him a bit funny (a bloke! who doesn't eat meat????)

Most bbq's here are BYO meat and alcohol anyway so not really a problem. Use foil or get yours on first in a corner!
Old Aug 8th 2008, 12:03 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astonmartinv8

Cheers,

Marcus.
You'll be fine, so long as you don't insist your veggie burgers are cooked on a separate grill to everyone else's food. That's fighting talk here in Oz.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 12:10 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astonmartinv8

Cheers,

Marcus.
You shouldent have any problems being invited but dont expect to eat well
As seasider says most ppl take plenty along to share anyway so just take something you can eat so that you wont starve. A freind of mine who is veggie usually takes along a piece of fish for herself wrapped in tinfoil
Old Aug 8th 2008, 12:49 am
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute

Its the norm to takealong your own meat/dish along to any bbq event anyway.
A friend of mine is veggie - she just takes along her own veggie creations, everywhere shes been the 'chef' usually has an oven tray on the side of the bbq to do onions/sweet potatos/capsicums(peppers) in so they cook it in there. Or in the house/oven!
Old Aug 8th 2008, 12:51 am
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
If you are coming to WA I suggest your start weaning yourself off veggie sausages and burgers unless you make them yourselves. The availability of stuff like that here is not good.
Ive stopped buying them as they all taste the same - even though I've bought all the different flavours in the "Gourmet" vegemeat range - best Ive had is the mex tofu burgers...
Old Aug 8th 2008, 3:16 am
Forum Regular

grevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of light

Haven't had a problem with this in all the years I've lived here, & I'm allergic to seafood, too. Here in VIC there seem to be a fair no of vegetarians, along with meat eaters who often choose vege options for health reasons.

We've been to dozens of BBQs over the years. If the food's prepared by someone else, there are almost always items such as corn-cobs, potatoes, vege burgers etc. Even our local council's BBQs have good vege options. If we're going to one at someone's house, where you have to bring things to BBQ, we always take home made vege burgers & kebabs. They're usually so popular that I make sure we take enough for the carnivores to try, too.

Don't worry - I'm sure you'll be fine!

G.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 3:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

hi there! not a problem at all! plenty of vegetarians BBQ in aussie land.

i usualy have...spuds and onions on the barbie..even a Banana in its skin...hmmm hmmmmm aussies love salads too in generaly..so if you enjoy that you will be fine!!
Old Aug 8th 2008, 3:50 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Probably not the first time ....
Old Aug 8th 2008, 5:37 am
BE Enthusiast

POW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nice

We have a very good neighbour who is a vegi. When we have them over for a BBQ, we do a couple of vegi dishes for her but she does bring some of her own (which are so tasty). We only have the one BBQ so we cook her food seperately in foil and there is never a problem.

IMO vegi food can be very tasty but you need to add a sausage chop and steak to the plate.

Barney
Old Aug 8th 2008, 7:18 am
Heading to WA

roamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really nice

Originally Posted by renth
You'll be fine, so long as you don't insist your veggie burgers are cooked on a separate grill to everyone else's food. That's fighting talk here in Oz.
Well, then they wouldn't be vegetarian anymore, if covered in beef juices and grizzle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.