British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   will uk cordless phone work in australia,what cables,adaptors to i need (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/will-uk-cordless-phone-work-australia-what-cables-adaptors-i-need-806059/)

brian.w Aug 15th 2013 5:24 am

will uk cordless phone work in australia,what cables,adaptors to i need

was looking at some broadband companies to get set up with internet and phone line and i see one of them asks for my home number i dont have one or know what it used to be,it says i can try the line see if i have a tone,i suppose they need to phone if there is something there.
Anyway i took over my uk phones cordless and wanted to know if these will work over here?
Just noticed that i must have removed the rechargable battries from them when leaving uk so looks like i need to buy new ones and on what i can see not cheap and i need cables i think?I do have various cables but more to do with plugging into uk phone socket.
Anyone tell me what cables i be after?Would be for wall to uk phone or maybe i just need an adaptor.
It be good to see if there is a line/tone there as asks when trying to sign up.

chris955 Aug 15th 2013 5:37 am

Re: will uk cordless phone work in australia,what cables,adaptors to i need

They will work as our Australian one works here but to be honest if you have to start buying cables and especially rechargebale batteries you might be better off just buying another cheap phone.

Amazulu Aug 15th 2013 5:40 am

Originally Posted by brian.w (Post 10851512)
was looking at some broadband companies to get set up with internet and phone line and i see one of them asks for my home number i dont have one or know what it used to be,it says i can try the line see if i have a tone,i suppose they need to phone if there is something there.
Anyway i took over my uk phones cordless and wanted to know if these will work over here?
Just noticed that i must have removed the rechargable battries from them when leaving uk so looks like i need to buy new ones and on what i can see not cheap and i need cables i think?I do have various cables but more to do with plugging into uk phone socket.
Anyone tell me what cables i be after?Would be for wall to uk phone or maybe i just need an adaptor.
It be good to see if there is a line/tone there as asks when trying to sign up.

My experience is that you need one of these:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/bt-us-adaptors-12492

Our UK cordless set did not work without this adaptor

quoll Aug 15th 2013 7:07 am

Technically illegal http://archive.acma.gov.au/WEB/STANDARD/pc=PC_1687 but that's a risk you take I suppose (darned ACMA updated its website and finding the relevant document was a nightmare LOL)

GarryP Aug 15th 2013 7:18 am

I just bought a DECT base unit in Oz (so all the connections were right) and then had the other units (from the UK) connect to that.

IIRC the regulations are so insane that if you took them seriously you couldn't even wire a plug. Everyone just ignores them as the self-serving red tape they are.

EvannTel Aug 15th 2013 9:13 am

I found I had to rewire the RJ11 jack but I can't remember how! Probably did the same as Amazulu's plug adapter.

chris955 Aug 15th 2013 9:50 am

I wonder why they work in one direction but not the other? Ours worked fine here.

quoll Aug 15th 2013 10:00 am

Originally Posted by GarryP (Post 10851603)
I just bought a DECT base unit in Oz (so all the connections were right) and then had the other units (from the UK) connect to that.

IIRC the regulations are so insane that if you took them seriously you couldn't even wire a plug. Everyone just ignores them as the self-serving red tape they are.

Technically you cant wire a plug in Qld I believe although the rest of Aus isnt that hide bound. Breaking the rules is a risk you take but then dont whine if it comes back to bite you!

EvannTel Aug 15th 2013 10:32 am

Originally Posted by chris955 (Post 10851736)
I wonder why they work in one direction but not the other? Ours worked fine here.

They works in both directions - talk and listen! :lol:

chris955 Aug 15th 2013 10:57 am

Originally Posted by EvannTel (Post 10851782)
They works in both directions - talk and listen! :lol:

Didnt you say you needed an adaptor?

EvannTel Aug 15th 2013 7:49 pm

Sorry being flippant.
Yes mine needed an adapter.

Jilliebee Aug 16th 2013 1:57 am

You can buy a single cordless phone for about $40 and a triple pack here for about $60-$70. Maybe worth just doing that if you have to buy cables and adapters etc especially if you're not sure what you need x

GarryP Aug 16th 2013 2:10 am

Originally Posted by GarryP (Post 10851603)

Originally Posted by Jilliebee (Post 10853048)
You can buy a single cordless phone for about $40 and a triple pack here for about $60-$70. Maybe worth just doing that if you have to buy cables and adapters etc especially if you're not sure what you need x

Actually, there is another option.

You buy a base DECT unit for your existing DECT phones to connect to - but you make it a VoIP capable unit (Gigaset is the usual go to name).

That way you not only get the landline setup that can use your existing phones, you can also extend voip functionality into the mix. Particularly useful for calling back to the UK if you set it up right. Also would enable you to drop the landline (and Telstra) and go naked (if you want).

JoanneF Aug 16th 2013 11:42 am

They will work with the right adapter. Probably easiest just to buy a new one though!

Chris N Lora Aug 17th 2013 8:46 am

we just plugged our uk phones in to uk extension lead we brought with us removed uk plug for aus plug and it worked