Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Will Sydney give us a better life?

Will Sydney give us a better life?

Old May 9th 2010, 3:18 am
Forum Regular

chelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to all
Default Re: Will Sydney give us a better life?

Hi there,

We moved lock stock and dog to Sydney in Jan of this year and its bloody expensive. If you want a house with a garden and room to park a car you are looking at paying at least a couple of million dollars + all you other bills.

Its taken me 4 months to get a job and if we hadent of had credit cards and a several thousand dollars to dip into we would have been buggered.

We live in a place called putney and we rent, its a good 40-50 minutes via teh river cat to sydney and the houses round here start at 1.7 million $, we want to buy a house next year and we are having to look further and further out of sydney.

Having said all of this its a lovely place to live and I cannot strongly recommend enough that you and your family get on a plane and come over for 3 weeks to check it all out. I think people forgett how hard it is to move to a new country at the start of the journey and only remember the good times.

There are a lot of things that are much more expensive out here and the only way to find this out and find out if this is the life style you want for your family is to get out here and have a look around.
Old May 9th 2010, 5:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Merseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I think that a move to Australia involves a huge amount of practical considerations, but if it does feel like a true 'calling' and not just ' sounding like a good idea', then do it.

However, make sure that the information you get from your sister about life in Sydney is a balanced one, and that she is not just trying to sell the idea to you as 'living the dream".
I'm not meaning to be cynical about this, but if a family member really wants you to come over because it will really suit them also they may give you a bit of a sales pitch. Just a thought.....
Old May 9th 2010, 5:56 am
Forum Regular

mark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Alienfeet
My husband and I have been wanting to emigrate to Sydney for the last few months. We have 2 children aged 4 and 2 and, like a lot of people, would like a better life for our family. My sister and her partner have lived in Sydney for 6 years and love it. Since we showed an interest in emigrating to Australia my sister has been telling us about the amazing life we could have. I have seen on the various websites that Sydney looks like a really fantastic place to live and the kids would have a great outdoor life with plenty of things to do and see. I have been so excited about it all and couldn't wait to put our visa in so our amazing adventure could start.

My problem is that since my husband has passed his RPL test and his skills are on the CSL, we know we can get a visa, all of a sudden I keep looking at our life and it doesn't seem too bad. We have quite a nice house, good friends, girls are happy and making friends etc and they are building their life over here, so I don't know whether moving to the other side of the world is the best option.

It seems like a big gamble and I would hate to make the wrong decision, by up-rooting my family and putting us all through the massive move but on the other hand I don't want to look back in 10 years and regret not giving it a go.

It is such a hard decision...stick with our good life here or risk it for an amazing life in Sydney.
Hi all i can say is just slow down before you make a decision. Your Visa probably runs for a while so dont rush. If your life in the uk is fine then think really hard. If Its not broke dont try and fix it. The oz 2 day is a very expensive place. Look through this forum and evaluate the general views.
Old May 9th 2010, 9:10 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by chelly77
If you want a house with a garden and room to park a car you are looking at paying at least a couple of million dollars + all you other bills.

We live in a place called putney.
It depends on what you are looking for...

Putney $1.85M

Putney $880,000

Ryde $570,000 (shown as a surrounding suburb on domain.com.au)

Gladesville $629,000 (shown as a surrounding suburb on domain.com.au)