Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Will Sydney give us a better life?

Will Sydney give us a better life?

Old May 6th 2010, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

Alienfeet has a brilliant futureAlienfeet has a brilliant futureAlienfeet has a brilliant futureAlienfeet has a brilliant futureAlienfeet has a brilliant futureAlienfeet has a brilliant future
Default Will Sydney give us a better life?

My husband and I have been wanting to emigrate to Sydney for the last few months. We have 2 children aged 4 and 2 and, like a lot of people, would like a better life for our family. My sister and her partner have lived in Sydney for 6 years and love it. Since we showed an interest in emigrating to Australia my sister has been telling us about the amazing life we could have. I have seen on the various websites that Sydney looks like a really fantastic place to live and the kids would have a great outdoor life with plenty of things to do and see. I have been so excited about it all and couldn't wait to put our visa in so our amazing adventure could start.

My problem is that since my husband has passed his RPL test and his skills are on the CSL, we know we can get a visa, all of a sudden I keep looking at our life and it doesn't seem too bad. We have quite a nice house, good friends, girls are happy and making friends etc and they are building their life over here, so I don't know whether moving to the other side of the world is the best option.

It seems like a big gamble and I would hate to make the wrong decision, by up-rooting my family and putting us all through the massive move but on the other hand I don't want to look back in 10 years and regret not giving it a go.

It is such a hard decision...stick with our good life here or risk it for an amazing life in Sydney.
Old May 6th 2010, 10:35 pm
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Will Sydney give us a better life?

Originally Posted by Alienfeet
or risk it for an amazing life in Sydney.
You won't have an amazing life in Sydney. Once you get past the geographical location, which you get used to, it will basically end up being the same shit, different bucket.

If you're moving to Sydney make sure you have got a lot of cash to bring with you.
Old May 6th 2010, 10:57 pm
ABCDiamond

My husband and I have been wanting to emigrate to Sydney for the last few months. We have 2 children aged 4 and 2 and, like a lot of people, would like a better life for our family. My sister and her partner have lived in Sydney for 6 years and love it. <...>
It is such a hard decision...stick with our good life here or risk it for an amazing life in Sydney.
Your children will probably not notice much difference, mine was 2 when she came over, and that was our experience of that part.

The amazing part only comes if you look for, and actively participate in living that part of it. For some people an amazing life is travelling around Europe etc, for others it can be so very different.

Your sister, having lived there for 6 years, will have a better idea of what life may be like for your circumstances, than anyone that does not know you.

You do have a hard decision... already having a good life in the UK means you have more at risk than someone who is looking to change their life by moving.

Although there is the advantage of having family already in Sydney.
for whatever you choose.

Old May 7th 2010, 1:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

My husband and I have been wanting to emigrate to Sydney for the last few months. We have 2 children aged 4 and 2 and, like a lot of people, would like a better life for our family. My sister and her partner have lived in Sydney for 6 years and love it. Since we showed an interest in emigrating to Australia my sister has been telling us about the amazing life we could have. I have seen on the various websites that Sydney looks like a really fantastic place to live and the kids would have a great outdoor life with plenty of things to do and see. I have been so excited about it all and couldn't wait to put our visa in so our amazing adventure could start.

My problem is that since my husband has passed his RPL test and his skills are on the CSL, we know we can get a visa, all of a sudden I keep looking at our life and it doesn't seem too bad. We have quite a nice house, good friends, girls are happy and making friends etc and they are building their life over here, so I don't know whether moving to the other side of the world is the best option.

It seems like a big gamble and I would hate to make the wrong decision, by up-rooting my family and putting us all through the massive move but on the other hand I don't want to look back in 10 years and regret not giving it a go.

You have to ask yourself what is it thats ' better, amazing and fantastic" about sydney.

I know its fantastically expensive no seriously it is.

Nice place if you could afford to live on one of the inner water suburbs, my idea of hell if you had a parammatta bankstown budget

I think with sydney a lot of it will come to to how much cash you have.
Old May 7th 2010, 1:23 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
I think with sydney a lot of it will come to to how much cash you have.
Make that all of it!
Old May 7th 2010, 2:47 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

It is a gamble, and take it from me, an expensive one! I would come on holiday and check things out before I considered even applying if I was you. What do you think will be better? Weather? Long way to come just for that and there will be no more lovely European holidays!
Old May 7th 2010, 2:57 am
Forum Regular

salopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud of

In my opinion there are more fantastic things to do and see in the UK and Europe than you'll ever find In Oz. In the end it all boils down to what really makes you happy (the idea that everyone has this utterly amazing life and all the kids are happier in Oz is just rubbish) if it's sunshine and beaches you want then move if it's anything deeper then really, really think about it. Yes, the sun shines more here and the winter's are milder but IMHO Australia is blandness personified. Good luck with your decision. Oh, and I agree with the above posts it is also incredibly expensive.

Why do you think your life in Sydney will be amazing?

Last edited by salopian; May 7th 2010 at 4:55 am.
Old May 7th 2010, 5:34 am
ian

mabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to all

Risk it and don't regret anything in your life!
Carol
Old May 7th 2010, 5:47 am
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by salopian
In my opinion there are more fantastic things to do and see in the UK and Europe than you'll ever find In Oz. In the end it all boils down to what really makes you happy (the idea that everyone has this utterly amazing life and all the kids are happier in Oz is just rubbish) if it's sunshine and beaches you want then move if it's anything deeper then really, really think about it. Yes, the sun shines more here and the winter's are milder but IMHO Australia is blandness personified. Good luck with your decision. Oh, and I agree with the above posts it is also incredibly expensive.

Why do you think your life in Sydney will be amazing?
Totally disagree with this poster. All these people who generalise how much more there is to do in the UK, without ever actually saying what they are!

You will never know unless you try it. There are so many things to do in Oz it beggars belief - and the sunshine makes outdoor pursuits that much more.... doable. You have to make an effort though, get out there, join clubs, groups etc, life won't just jump and bite you on the bum when you move to a new country.

That being said the UK is a great place also, just different. My personal advice to anyone considering emigrating anywhere... make sure you feel a "calling" not just "it sounds like a good idea" or "I was fed with winter in the UK" or "we watch Home & Away and think it looks nice"

Australia is the other side of the world.
Old May 7th 2010, 6:48 am
Forum Regular

salopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by aussietobe
Totally disagree with this poster. All these people who generalise how much more there is to do in the UK, without ever actually saying what they are!

You will never know unless you try it. There are so many things to do in Oz it beggars belief - and the sunshine makes outdoor pursuits that much more.... doable. You have to make an effort though, get out there, join clubs, groups etc, life won't just jump and bite you on the bum when you move to a new country.

That being said the UK is a great place also, just different. My personal advice to anyone considering emigrating anywhere... make sure you feel a "calling" not just "it sounds like a good idea" or "I was fed with winter in the UK" or "we watch Home & Away and think it looks nice"

Australia is the other side of the world.
You honestly think there are more things to do in Oz than in the UK and Europe?? Really?? Wow!
Old May 7th 2010, 6:52 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by salopian
You honestly think there are more things to do in Oz than in the UK and Europe?? Really?? Wow!
It does come down to what people want from life. Not everyone is the same, many people wan't different things.

Some people need to be more open minded and accept that.

There is much more in this part of he world to do for those people who prefer this part of the world, and have little interest in doing "European" things.

But for those people who love to nip over to European countries all the time, then Australia may be a mistake, unless it is done for just a few years.

Old May 7th 2010, 7:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Tubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to all

We arrived in Sydney in October with our two boys (at the time 4 and 2)! We have been really loving life over here. We have a bit of family here, husbands Uncle, Aunt and cousins. I think for me life is so much better, I am a housewife and am loving all the things I do with the kids, think the school is great that my son has just started and we have great weekends as a family. Sometimes just at home and sometimes out exploring our wonderful surroundings.

We have chosen to live quite far out of Sydney as the suburb is so nice and peaceful (comparatively) as well as being on the fast train line in to the city. However my husband commutes 1.5hrs each way a day (including cycling/walking each end). For him I think life during the week is pretty rotten, just working and sitting on a train so he's more likely to feel homesick. We decided that it was now or never in terms of the kids, the older they are the harder it would be for them to move so far (you could consider that in terms of it being difficult to go back too). We really would always have wondered what if and regretted not coming.

For now, I can't see us ever going back and my husband is determined that the minimum we would be here is until we are citizens so that if we did return to the UK, the boys could choose later in life without any visa hassles.

Not sure if that helps you or not! The only person I really miss in the UK is my sister, if she were here already!

Good luck whatever you decide.
Old May 8th 2010, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

Alienfeet has a brilliant futureAlienfeet has a brilliant futureAlienfeet has a brilliant futureAlienfeet has a brilliant futureAlienfeet has a brilliant futureAlienfeet has a brilliant future

Thank you for the responses. I think we have decided that we really need to visit Sydney first, as it is such a huge decision to make. I know it will be quite costly, but now realise some people love Sydney and some people don't, so think we need to see it with our own eyes and make our own opinions.

It is still definately an option for us, so we'll just have to see what we think of it when we visit in February. Your responses have really helped us realise we can't rush into anything, but also its lovely to see some people do love it over there, as its still nice to have our dream of how it could be.

Thanks again
Old May 9th 2010, 12:51 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Old May 9th 2010, 12:55 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mohogony
The Uk and all of Europe will soon collapse into deep depression and economic chaos like Greece with violent riots, massive unemployment and out of control crime while the OZ economy will go from one huge boom to another with its massive natural resources. lll' take balnd and boring OZ anyday.
Thanks for your insight. Brilliant as ever and so impartial.
Attached Thumbnails Will Sydney give us a better life?-mohogony.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.