Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Will our baby be British or Australian?!!

Will our baby be British or Australian?!!

Old Jan 26th 2005, 12:50 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will our baby be British or Australian?!!

Originally Posted by Merlot
What happens if you decide to come back to the UK to have the baby? Just thinking of a friends situation at the moment? She wants to give birth in the UK????
If she and her husband are PRs, then they will need to sponsor the child to migrate to Ausralia. So it may not be a very good idea to have the child born in the UK.

If they're Australian citizens it's different as usually the child would be eligible for Australian citizenship by descent.

Jeremy
Old Jan 26th 2005, 4:17 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by JAJ
If she and her husband are PRs, then they will need to sponsor the child to migrate to Ausralia. So it may not be a very good idea to have the child born in the UK.

If they're Australian citizens it's different as usually the child would be eligible for Australian citizenship by descent.

Jeremy
Thank you as always Jeremy.

M

Old Jun 9th 2005, 4:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jjonboy
My understanding is both. Baby jones automatically becomes an Aussie citizen upon birth to two permanent residents as long as baby is born in australia and upon application can/ will become a british citizen also.

OZ- www.citizenship.gov.au
UK http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/ind/en/home.html.

Both sites have contact numbers. Not sure of the paperwork side of things particularly for the UK side of things. I'm sure one of the experts will clarify however

Hope this helps

Jonboy
Still trying to find out how to apply for a British passport for bub. Used link above but it's not the right one apparently.

Thanks all
Old Jun 9th 2005, 5:02 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by The Jones Family
Still trying to find out how to apply for a British passport for bub. Used link above but it's not the right one apparently.

Thanks all
Start from here for UK Passport Service(Babies & children).
The site has changed since I last looked, but this seems like the right place.
Old Jun 9th 2005, 5:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JulesandChris
Start from here for UK Passport Service(Babies & children).
The site has changed since I last looked, but this seems like the right place.
I think we can lodge an application at the British Consulate in Perth. Not sure how we get the application though. http://bhc.britaus.net/Contact_us/co...ault.asp?id=30
Old Jun 9th 2005, 5:49 am

I think we can lodge an application at the British Consulate in Perth. Not sure how we get the application though. http://bhc.britaus.net/Contact_us/co...ault.asp?id=30
Try the FCO website.
It's a bit of a maze and I ended up back at the Home Office site for overseas passport applications.
I've now found what I was looking for in the first place, you need to go to the British High Consulate in Canberra. Have a mosey here.
Old Jun 9th 2005, 5:52 am

Try the FCO website.
It's a bit of a maze and I ended up back at the Home Office site for overseas passport applications.
I've now found what I was looking for in the first place, you need to go to the British High Consulate in Canberra. Have a mosey here.
I took so long to get the info together, you beat me to it.
I went through all of this for some friends over a year ago.
Try this link, then drill down as relevant to your case. the application form is there somewhere I know it.
http://bhc.britaus.net/Passports/pas...ult.asp?id=364
Old Jun 9th 2005, 5:57 am
BE Forum Addict

I took so long to get the info together, you beat me to it.
I went through all of this for some friends over a year ago.
Try this link, then drill down as relevant to your case. the application form is there somewhere I know it.
http://bhc.britaus.net/Passports/pas...ult.asp?id=364
Thanks so much for all your help!!
Old Jun 9th 2005, 6:03 am

Thanks so much for all your help!!
No worries.
Where in Dorset where you? I worked in Wincanton just before coming to Oz, and I used to drive through 3 counties, Dorset included, just to get to work.
Now I cycle 5kms. Still it was lovely countryside to drive through, if it was light enough to enjoy.
Old Jun 9th 2005, 6:12 am
BE Forum Addict

No worries.
Where in Dorset where you? I worked in Wincanton just before coming to Oz, and I used to drive through 3 counties, Dorset included, just to get to work.
Now I cycle 5kms. Still it was lovely countryside to drive through, if it was light enough to enjoy.
We were in a little village called Witchampton, near Wimborne. Gorgeous, really pretty!!! Still the view (albeit a windy one) from where I'm sitting isn't too bad either (180 degree views of Indian Ocean )
Old Jun 9th 2005, 6:18 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

I am glad I read this post. I am going to try to get an application form for Ezekiel to get a British passport now, and that will be another thing sorted.

Katie
Old Jun 9th 2005, 6:42 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

Hi again

I have just applied for the passport forms and it has cost a fortune :scared: By my reckoning about $7/8 for the phone call including $3.50 for them to post the forms.

I couldn't download the form from the internet.

Katie
Old Jun 9th 2005, 6:59 am
Deep in the red C.

Iginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KatieStar
Hi again

I have just applied for the passport forms and it has cost a fortune :scared: By my reckoning about $7/8 for the phone call including $3.50 for them to post the forms.

I couldn't download the form from the internet.

Katie
Surprising lack of consistency as here in Canada we were able to download the forms from the British High Commission in Ottawa and they didn't appear to be country specific,
Old Jun 9th 2005, 7:07 am
BE Forum Addict

I think it is our computer set up, it doesn't seem to want to download any forms. LOL it seems to wantus to have to spend money on phonecalls.

Katie
Old Jun 9th 2005, 7:19 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by KatieStar
I think it is our computer set up, it doesn't seem to want to download any forms. LOL it seems to wantus to have to spend money on phonecalls.

Katie
They are pdf forms, and you need adobe to open them. If you don't have it there is an area on http://bhc.britaus.net/Passports/pas...ault.asp?id=40 that allows to you downlopad adobe first, and then get all the forms you need.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.