Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Will our baby be British or Australian?!!

Will our baby be British or Australian?!!

Old Jan 25th 2005, 8:15 pm
  #1  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: A land far far away
Posts: 1,149
Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Will our baby be British or Australian?!!

............or both??

Baby will be born when we are both on PR Visas. So how does the whole citizenship things work?

TIA

Mrs. J.
Wave the Sails is offline  
Old Jan 25th 2005, 8:28 pm
  #2  
Merlot
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Will our baby be British or Australian?!!

Originally Posted by The Jones Family
............or both??

Baby will be born when we are both on PR Visas. So how does the whole citizenship things work?

TIA

Mrs. J.
JAJ is the one of the knowledgable bods to answer this one.

I was under the assumption that if one parent was an Australian Citizen, the child could apply for Citizenship under desent or something like that, before they are 25.

The site JAJ recommeded to us was http://www.immi.gov.au

I don't know if PR Visa's are the same, even if the baby is born in Australia? it would be interesting to discover.

Good luck with the birth.

Merlot
 
Old Jan 25th 2005, 8:32 pm
  #3  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: A land far far away
Posts: 1,149
Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will our baby be British or Australian?!!

Originally Posted by Merlot
JAJ is the one of the knowledgable bods to answer this one.

I was under the assumption that if one parent was an Australian Citizen, the child could apply for Citizenship under desent or something like that, before they are 25.

The site JAJ recommeded to us was http://www.immi.gov.au

I don't know if PR Visa's are the same, even if the baby is born in Australia? it would be interesting to discover.

Good luck with the birth.

Merlot
Cheers Merlot, I shall go and have a look at that site. I think we just assumed he/she would be an Aussie Citizen, then got to thinking..................
Wave the Sails is offline  
Old Jan 25th 2005, 8:33 pm
  #4  
BE Forum Addict
 
HiddenPaw's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Nappyland
Posts: 2,886
HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will our baby be British or Australian?!!

Baby born in Oz to PR parents will have both British and Australian citizenship. It will be an Oz citizen even if the parents are still on PR visas
HiddenPaw is offline  
Old Jan 25th 2005, 8:38 pm
  #5  
Merlot
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Will our baby be British or Australian?!!

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
Baby born in Oz to PR parents will have both British and Australian citizenship. It will be an Oz citizen even if the parents are still on PR visas
Hello Luvvie

Nice to hear from you. Hope Nappyland is treating you well?

So what I gather if you and other half are PR's and have the baby in Australia, the nipper can be an Australian Citizen - winner!!!

What happens if you decide to come back to the UK to have the baby? Just thinking of a friends situation at the moment? She wants to give birth in the UK????

Merlot
 
Old Jan 25th 2005, 8:39 pm
  #6  
Merlot
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Will our baby be British or Australian?!!

Originally Posted by The Jones Family
Cheers Merlot, I shall go and have a look at that site. I think we just assumed he/she would be an Aussie Citizen, then got to thinking..................
Reading HP's mail looks promising for you. Fingers crossed.

Best of luck
Merlot
 
Old Jan 25th 2005, 8:43 pm
  #7  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: A land far far away
Posts: 1,149
Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will our baby be British or Australian?!!

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
Baby born in Oz to PR parents will have both British and Australian citizenship. It will be an Oz citizen even if the parents are still on PR visas
Gosh isn't that lovely!!! Very chuffed at that.

Mrs. J.

PS Will go and whisper to Number One son (16 months) that he'll prpobably need to attend a Citizenship Ceremony after the requisite 2 years
Wave the Sails is offline  
Old Jan 25th 2005, 8:46 pm
  #8  
Merlot
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Will our baby be British or Australian?!!

Originally Posted by The Jones Family
Gosh isn't that lovely!!! Very chuffed at that.

Mrs. J.

PS Will go and whisper to Number One son (16 months) that he'll prpobably need to attend a Citizenship Ceremony after the requisite 2 years
I am sure he will be thrilled with his new toy of a lemon gum tree!!!

Best of luck over there, you sound like you are looking forward to it.

M
 
Old Jan 25th 2005, 8:55 pm
  #9  
Sydney- North Shore
 
jjonboy's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Sydney
Posts: 387
jjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant future
Default Re: Will our baby be British or Australian?!!

Originally Posted by The Jones Family
............or both??

Baby will be born when we are both on PR Visas. So how does the whole citizenship things work?

TIA

Mrs. J.
My understanding is both. Baby jones automatically becomes an Aussie citizen upon birth to two permanent residents as long as baby is born in australia and upon application can/ will become a british citizen also.

OZ- www.citizenship.gov.au
UK http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/ind/en/home.html.

Both sites have contact numbers. Not sure of the paperwork side of things particularly for the UK side of things. I'm sure one of the experts will clarify however

Hope this helps

Jonboy
jjonboy is offline  
Old Jan 25th 2005, 8:57 pm
  #10  
Merlot
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Will our baby be British or Australian?!!

Originally Posted by jjonboy
My understanding is both. Baby jones automatically becomes an Aussie citizen upon birth to two permanent residents as long as baby is born in australia and upon application can/ will become a british citizen also.

OZ- www.citizenship.gov.au
UK http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/ind/en/home.html.

Both sites have contact numbers. Not sure of the paperwork side of things particularly for the UK side of things. I'm sure one of the experts will clarify however

Hope this helps

Jonboy
That was the next question answered, what happens with the babies rights to become a British Citizen.

Thank you.
M
 
Old Jan 25th 2005, 9:39 pm
  #11  
BE Forum Addict
 
HiddenPaw's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Nappyland
Posts: 2,886
HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will our baby be British or Australian?!!

Originally Posted by Merlot
What happens if you decide to come back to the UK to have the baby?
You mean like we did!!

Baby born in UK to PR parents has no Australian residency or citizenship rights. As in our case, we have to apply (sponsor) for a child migration visa for our bub before we can move back to Oz (another £500 or so !!) But bub will get citizenship when we do - i.e. bub won't have to do 2 years residency, she will go on our citizenship application.
HiddenPaw is offline  
Old Jan 25th 2005, 10:04 pm
  #12  
Merlot
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Will our baby be British or Australian?!!

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
You mean like we did!!

Baby born in UK to PR parents has no Australian residency or citizenship rights. As in our case, we have to apply (sponsor) for a child migration visa for our bub before we can move back to Oz (another £500 or so !!) But bub will get citizenship when we do - i.e. bub won't have to do 2 years residency, she will go on our citizenship application.
Tis all $$$$$$ :scared:

Expensive lark this migration stuff!

M
 
Old Jan 26th 2005, 10:42 am
  #13  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Hills District
Posts: 1,399
Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will our baby be British or Australian?!!

Four sons, two born in Scotland two in Australia. Two are Australian citizens by birth, no problem gaining British citizenship/passport. Two born in Scotland like parents have to apply for Australian citizenship.
Gibbo is offline  
Old Jan 26th 2005, 11:28 am
  #14  
JAJ
Retired
 
JAJ's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 34,649
JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will our baby be British or Australian?!!

Originally Posted by The Jones Family
............or both??

Baby will be born when we are both on PR Visas. So how does the whole citizenship things work?

TIA

Mrs. J.
Short answer:

AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP
1. With PR parents (in fact only one parent needs to be a PR) a child born in Australia is automatically Australian by birth.
2. As the Australia birth cert doesn't prove citizenship for those born after 1986, use form 119 to get a certificate of Australian citizenship (will save hassle later)
3. Get the child an Australian passport.

BRITISH CITIZENSHIP
1. Usually the child will be British automatically (by descent).
2. However there are some exceptions where a specific application for citizenship may required (within a time limit). Possibly if parents were born outside the UK, or the father is not married to the mother.
3. Britain doesn't do consular birth registration in Australia, so the best way to document the child's citizenship is to get a British passport asap.

GENERAL POINTS
1. Never assume your child has a particular citizenship unless he or she has been issued with a citizenship certificate and/or a normal validity individual passport.
2. If your child doesn't have a nationality you want it to have automatically, an opportunity to apply for it to have citizenship may be time limited, so don't wast time.
3. Where one does acquire a nationality by descent automatically at birth it makes life a lot easier to document it soon after birth (as opposed to years later).

Jeremy
JAJ is offline  
Old Jan 26th 2005, 11:32 am
  #15  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: A land far far away
Posts: 1,149
Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will our baby be British or Australian?!!

Originally Posted by JAJ
Short answer:

AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP
1. With PR parents (in fact only one parent needs to be a PR) a child born in Australia is automatically Australian by birth.
2. As the Australia birth cert doesn't prove citizenship for those born after 1986, use form 119 to get a certificate of Australian citizenship (will save hassle later)
3. Get the child an Australian passport.

BRITISH CITIZENSHIP
1. Usually the child will be British automatically (by descent).
2. However there are some exceptions where a specific application for citizenship may required (within a time limit). Possibly if parents were born outside the UK, or the father is not married to the mother.
3. Britain doesn't do consular birth registration in Australia, so the best way to document the child's citizenship is to get a British passport asap.

GENERAL POINTS
1. Never assume your child has a particular citizenship unless he or she has been issued with a citizenship certificate and/or a normal validity individual passport.
2. If your child doesn't have a nationality you want it to have automatically, an opportunity to apply for it to have citizenship may be time limited, so don't wast time.
3. Where one does acquire a nationality by descent automatically at birth it makes life a lot easier to document it soon after birth (as opposed to years later).

Jeremy
Thanks so much for clearing that. Just looks like we need to be on the ball.
Wave the Sails is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.