Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Will my Sky Plus box work in Oz?

Will my Sky Plus box work in Oz?

Old Jan 14th 2009, 1:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

GillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of light
Default Will my Sky Plus box work in Oz?

We have a Sky Plus box from the UK which we are currently using in France and I was wondering whether it would also work in Oz? In France not all of its functions work as well as in the UK but we are still able to receive the free channels and record programmes. Cheers!
Old Jan 14th 2009, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will my Sky Plus box work in Oz?

No idea, but you might get more responses in the Australia, rather than the immigration section.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 3:21 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GillyG View Post
We have a Sky Plus box from the UK which we are currently using in France and I was wondering whether it would also work in Oz? In France not all of its functions work as well as in the UK but we are still able to receive the free channels and record programmes. Cheers!
No
Old Jan 14th 2009, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

varsanik will become famous soon enoughvarsanik will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by EvannTel View Post
No
The picture might be upside down, I guess you could sort this out by turning your tv over.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 7:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light

All the programs will be an hour later in Qld!
Old Jan 14th 2009, 9:50 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EvannTel View Post
No
Agreed. No it won't work, but they wont stop Sky charging you if you don't cancel your contract
Old Jan 15th 2009, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

GillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by varsanik View Post
The picture might be upside down, I guess you could sort this out by turning your tv over.
Oh no I didn't think of that! Will have to invest in one of those flat screen jobys that you put on the wall and then we can just screw it on upsidedown!
Old Jan 15th 2009, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bigAPE View Post
Agreed. No it won't work, but they wont stop Sky charging you if you don't cancel your contract
We don't pay anything for it now, we just receive the free chanels. Just out of intersest why won't it work?
Old Jan 15th 2009, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

mydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nice

"We don't pay anything for it now, we just receive the free chanels. Just out of intersest why won't it work?"

Lol this pops up every now and then and it always makes me chuckle!

Because Australia is the other side of the planet and therefore the satellite will always be orbiting the earth pointing and broadcasting at the northern hemisphere predominantly at Europe!!
Old Jan 15th 2009, 9:28 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Just out of intersest why won't it work?
It's called the satellites "footprint". They would need to move Astra 2D so that it sat over Australia for you to pick up Sky.

If you want "Sky" in Australia you will need to get Foxtel which is similar (but not as expansive)
Old Jan 15th 2009, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

jam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nice

It's called the satellites "footprint". They would need to move Astra 2D so that it sat over Australia for you to pick up Sky.

If you want "Sky" in Australia you will need to get Foxtel which is similar (but not as expansive)
I think the word is much more 'expensive' than Sky! lol

FOXTEL: don't have it yet but am contemplating it. This new IQ2 promo going on.

Rip off? More expensive than Sky +HD? Opinions please gang?
(I saw the add and saw a $3000+ per year in charges in the small print...I assume this is for top level stuff?)

I only want it for the motorbike racing (MotoGP/WSBK)...I'm not a soccer nut would you believe!
Old Jan 15th 2009, 9:44 pm
No Clean Feed

Originally Posted by jam76 View Post
I think the word is much more 'expensive' than Sky! lol
No, expansive... as in not as many channels as Sky in the UK.

Foxtel is also more expensive than Sky and has substantially less channels. The top SkyTV World package in the UK is £46 ($102) for 600+ channels while Foxtel is Platinum HD is $131 (£59) for ~80 channels.

I only want it for the motorbike racing (MotoGP/WSBK)...I'm not a soccer nut would you believe!
I'm not a soccer nut either. We only got it because over half of St Kilda's AFL matches are on Foxtel next year including 2-3 away matches.

Rip off? More expensive than Sky +HD? Opinions please gang? (I saw the add and saw a $3000+ per year in charges in the small print...I assume this is for top level stuff?)
$3,000+ ? Unlikely $1,572 is the most you would pay per year for the top Platinum HD package which includes all channels, plus all the HD channels, plus two free pay per view movies a month. We pay about $56 a month.

So far I have found it pointless. I am sure I will watch the few footy matches on it, but not sure if it's worth the expense. The quality of programming is worse than the terrestrial channels (IMHO) they don't pick up as many decent US shows (which I mostly watch), but they do have all the Discovery and Nat Geo channels which are great. Having all the News channels (Sky News, CNN, etc) is GREAT. Finally I don't have to listen to the 30 second "info slaps" they give you on Australian TV. I know finally feel that I know what is happening in the world again.

Last edited by bigAPE; Jan 15th 2009 at 9:56 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

jam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nice

No, expansive... as in not as many channels as Sky in the UK.

I'm not a soccer nut either. We only got it because over half of St Kilda's AFL matches are on Foxtel next year including 2-3 away matches.

$3,000+ ? Unlikely $1,572 is the most you would pay per year for the top Platinum HD package which includes all channels, plus all the HD channels, plus two free pay per view movies a month. We pay about $56 a month.

So far I have found it pointless. I am sure I will watch the few footy matches on it, but not sure if it's worth the expense. The quality of programming is worse than the terrestrial channels (IMHO) they don't pick up as many decent US shows (which I mostly watch), but they do have all the Discovery and Nat Geo channels which are great. Having all the News channels (Sky News, CNN, etc) is GREAT. Finally I don't have to listen to the 30 second "info slaps" they give you on Australian TV. I know finally feel that I know what is happening in the world again.

Thanks BA. This is well helpful.

Yep, motor-racing and some US shows are my TV interests...like 24 which I don't think is on Terrestrial but am glad that Heroes is!

I miss the news channels thats for sure.

Okay so Foxtel is cable or sat? What do I need...I assume phone-line? Anything else?
Old Jan 15th 2009, 10:27 pm
looking for an easy life!

IanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to all

sky plus box won't work, well that was what we where told, and foxtel IQ is crap, we had it for 3 months and total waste of money, show always run in QLd 10 to 20 mins behind so miss the start or end. When I rang foxtel they said I had to record the program before and after the one I wanted to watch as I already had it on max start and end time. Also you can't series link so you always have to remember to program in everytime you want to record a program.
We got rid of it pretty quick and now looking into TIVO as seems to do everthing we had in our sky plus box and works out cheaper, except you get the cost up front. I think it is about $600. Good luck
Old Jan 15th 2009, 10:42 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IanJakeCharlieDaddy View Post
We got rid of it pretty quick and now looking into TIVO as seems to do everthing we had in our sky plus box and works out cheaper, except you get the cost up front. I think it is about $600. Good luck
I don;t think TIVO will record FOXTEL.

Instead of paying for TIVO you could get a TV tuner card for your PC and then directly record to your hard drive.

If wanting to use the same to record from FOXTEL, you can send an AV signal using AV sender/receiver (under $100) to the PC.

Much cheaper than TIVO.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.