Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Will my dog Acclimatise ? ?

Will my dog Acclimatise ? ?

Old Aug 6th 2007, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

Swooty will become famous soon enough
Default Will my dog Acclimatise ? ?

We are relocating to Brisbane in Jan 2008, and are thinking of taking our English Springer Spaniel.

However we have been advised to consider this carefully as many dogs spend the rest of their lives wishing they were in the UK, due to the temperature in Brisbane.

I would appreciate anybodies first hand experieince and thoughts on this ?

Thank you
Old Aug 6th 2007, 4:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

chris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Will my dog Acclimatise ? ?

Excellent question, I have 2 springers, 1 english 1 welsh, isnt it,someone must have experiences to share, maybe some vets advice?come on guys!
Old Aug 6th 2007, 11:52 pm
Brisbane or bust!

Hooch&Lol has a brilliant futureHooch&Lol has a brilliant futureHooch&Lol has a brilliant futureHooch&Lol has a brilliant futureHooch&Lol has a brilliant futureHooch&Lol has a brilliant futureHooch&Lol has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Swooty
We are relocating to Brisbane in Jan 2008, and are thinking of taking our English Springer Spaniel.

However we have been advised to consider this carefully as many dogs spend the rest of their lives wishing they were in the UK, due to the temperature in Brisbane.

I would appreciate anybodies first hand experieince and thoughts on this ?

Thank you
Sorry guys no first hand experience but most dogs do live outside here
(especially if you're renting) and they have cool hammock beds which keep them off the ground and cooler in summer. Dogs also have coats that they wear during winter (yes it gets cold enough here in brissie!). We haven't been through a summer ourselves yet but keep being warned that it gets VERY HOT! If your dogs are sun dogs in the UK and stick to the central heating all winter then they might be ok?! Just bear in mind that ticks are a big problem in the summer if you live or walk where there's long grass, and the paralysis tick can kill. There's also the possibility of running into cane toads in queensland, snakes and spiders. How curious are your dogs??
Having said that, lots of people do bring their dogs here so it must be managable.
Best I can do!
Lol
Old Aug 6th 2007, 11:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

nessyp is on a distinguished road

Hi there i have a west highland terrier i took to spain last year whilst we wait to get visas to oz. I can tell you he loves it and its been in the 40s here some days. We do look after him differently than in uk for example we take him walkies first thing in morning and in the evening in summer so that hes not walking round in the sun. But you can see he loves it, as on the rare occasion it rains when you put his lead on he looks at you to say your joking im not going out in that We have no doubts of taking him with us to oz.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 12:18 am
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swooty

:
A dog lives in the here and now, it would not be sat their wishing it was in the UK ... it would just get on with it. Thats just human emotion getting in the way of things so don't worry
Old Aug 7th 2007, 2:26 am
BE Enthusiast

The Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to behold

We brought our 2 English Cocker Spaniels here last year and apart from having to have their coats cut shorter they love it! The dog beaches and parks are brilliant. They suffered no ill effects from the journey or quarantine, and when I picked them up and brought them home it was just like they'd always been here. I agree, dogs don't miss places, they're just happy to be fed, walked and loved. When it's really hot, they're a bit more lethargic (but who isn't). One thing I have noticed is that while they were born and bred in Scotland and were used to their daily walks in the rain, I have to force them out in the rain here. They're obviously fair weather dogs at heart!

It was more difficult to find a decent rental that took pets but it's not impossible. Our 2 are not kept outside and the landlord is quite happy with that.
TJ
Old Aug 7th 2007, 4:30 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

We've got a springer/collie cross and she absolutely loves it here. No problems acclimatising - runs around like a loon on the beach. We do get her clipped for the duration of the summer (was very funny seeing how she looked after that).
Old Aug 7th 2007, 4:34 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not really into dogs but I'm fascinated to hear that they are aware of their surroundings to that extent. What happens with Australian dogs, do they badger their owners to get a visa to live in the UK
Old Aug 7th 2007, 5:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Cookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud of

We came over to Adelaide first with our springer spaniel in 2006. She delt with the heat of the 41 degree days very well. As others have said we had her clipped in the summer. Now we are futher north in Queensland she is fine. We have her clipped all year round now!!!!! She still looks lovely and the only one we have seen so far in this area, which is a novelty.

Angela
Old Aug 7th 2007, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Olias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

I have no doubt that my dogs will love it (Lab and Terrier). What I do worry about is dogs in hot cars.

How do people cope when going out for trips in their cars? I am keen on getting a camper and doing some exploring on weekends etc. How do people cope on the occasins when they have to leave their dogs e.g. when they go out for a meal or to a museum or shops. Surely I couldn't leave them in the heat in the camper? But what other choice would I have?

I would be keen on hearing what other dog owners do in situations like these?

Even on day trips, there are going to be occasions when you want to go into shops/museum/for a meal etc etc?

Olias
Old Aug 7th 2007, 10:35 am
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

That's the thing with being a dog owner-there are always so many compromises! There are a number of things we haven't been able to do since getting our two babies 6 yrs ago-like take an impromptu overnight trip. Everything needs planning so far in advance. Even when staying in dog friendly accommodation often there is a clause to say the dogs cant be left alone in property so that foxes any chances of a romantic meal out or trip to anywhere dogs aren't welcome & we have never been lucky enough to have relatives close enough to just quickly drop dogs off. Even staying out late is a no-go as dinner & walkies time beckons. I guess it's a case of he pros outweigh the cons

We were considering the camper idea a while back to tour UK before going but the thought of sleeping in such a confined space with the doggies wuffing at every movement outside and parping away all night was a bit of a turn off
Old Aug 7th 2007, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

The Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to behold

You can't leave your dog in the car at all in summer (or spring & autumn for that matter). You'd come back to roast dog for dinner. We often find that the dogs just have to miss out on day trips when there are other activities involved - unless you can find pup-friendly places.

The only time I've seen dogs left in cars is when their chained to the back of utes .
TJ
Old Aug 7th 2007, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Olias
Hi,

I have no doubt that my dogs will love it (Lab and Terrier). What I do worry about is dogs in hot cars.

How do people cope when going out for trips in their cars? I am keen on getting a camper and doing some exploring on weekends etc. How do people cope on the occasins when they have to leave their dogs e.g. when they go out for a meal or to a museum or shops. Surely I couldn't leave them in the heat in the camper? But what other choice would I have?

I would be keen on hearing what other dog owners do in situations like these?

Even on day trips, there are going to be occasions when you want to go into shops/museum/for a meal etc etc?

Olias
You can't. To be honest I wouldn't even do that in the UK unless it was unavoidable. Either you take the dogs, and things revolve around them - e.g. camping trip, walking, doggy friendly self-catered accommodation, etc - or you leave them with friends or in kennels every once in a while to give you a few days off.
Our lab shed like crazy when we first got here, we had to hoover practically every day, there was fur everywhere. Then he settled down a bit... but we still haven't experienced a super-hot summer. Luckily he loves water, so it takes no persuasion to have him bounce around under a jet of hose water. There will always be lots of shade and water for him, and if the forecast is extreme heat then I will leave him inside in the airconditioning.
I'd highly recommend making friends with other dog owners, then you can dog sit for each other - saves paying for kennels and you know your dog will be looked after and have a great time playing with the other dog(s).
Old Aug 7th 2007, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

Swooty will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE
I'd highly recommend making friends with other dog owners, then you can dog sit for each other - saves paying for kennels and you know your dog will be looked after and have a great time playing with the other dog(s). [/QUOTE]

Thats a great idea, never thought of that one !
Old Aug 7th 2007, 2:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for your comments guys.

Just to clarify. I would never leave mine in a vehicle. My OH was an RSPCA inspector and has dealt with (literally) roast dogs before so we both know the score.

I guess I was hoping someone might have some magic answers. I currently live in the lakes in the UK and some tourist spots have doggy corrals where you can leave the dogs outside wheile you go into a shop or cafe. Don't know if they exist in Oz. I haven't seen them when I've been before, but then again I wasn't looking!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.