British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Will my Digital Radio work in oz? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/will-my-digital-radio-work-oz-544554/)

welovebonds Jun 22nd 2008 7:29 pm

Will my Digital Radio work in oz?

I have a Pure Digital Radio here in the UK, just want to know does anyone know if this will work in oz?

Racht70 Jun 22nd 2008 9:10 pm

Re: Will my Digital Radio work in oz?

Dont think they have DAB yet. Click

Pinkie Jun 22nd 2008 9:14 pm

We've got a Bug and we bought that as we love it but there are no stations available as Racht70 says so we can't even set it up with the time! We're keeping hold of it as they're bound to get digital eventually but it's no use at the minute.

Just want to add, we're in Adelaide but I guess it's the same across the country.

Hutch Jun 22nd 2008 10:18 pm

There's a trial DAB service in Sydney that's been running for a while, but digital radio is highly unlikely to be introduced nationally.

hoofie2002 Jun 23rd 2008 12:24 am

Originally Posted by Hutch (Post 6493050)
There's a trial DAB service in Sydney that's been running for a while, but digital radio is highly unlikely to be introduced nationally.

There are plans to introduce it here in 2 years or so, but it will be a more advanced one than used in the UK so UK radios may not work.

However I will believe it when it's actually installed and even then I imagine it will only cover the major cities.

Hutch Jun 23rd 2008 12:44 am

Originally Posted by hoofie2002 (Post 6493269)
There are plans to introduce it here in 2 years or so, but it will be a more advanced one than used in the UK so UK radios may not work.

However I will believe it when it's actually installed and even then I imagine it will only cover the major cities.

Yea I know - and there were plans two years ago to introduce it two years ago. There simply doesn't seem to be the motivation in this country to introduce it. It's not like the UK where the VHF spectrum was saturated - here there's plenty of dead air between stations and no great pressure to liberate more bandwidth. To be honest I'm not too bothered anyway - the difference in quality between digital and a good FM signal is negligible. Now if they talked about introducing satellite radio *then* I'd be interested. :)

Red_V_Roger Jun 23rd 2008 12:57 am

Interesting that most DVB TV transmittions in Sydney are on VHF..were as its UHF in the UK, so most UK TV set-top boxes wont work.

I wonder if digital radio will also be on different frequency bands?

Paul & June Jun 23rd 2008 6:17 am

I have heard through the grape vine that DAB will be superseded with Super DAB, better quality, better signal. This system will also be used in OZ. Apparently your old DAB will no longer work here in the UK, we will see.

The Bloke Jun 23rd 2008 10:22 am

Originally Posted by Pinkie (Post 6492901)
We've got a Bug and we bought that as we love it but there are no stations available as Racht70 says so we can't even set it up with the time! We're keeping hold of it as they're bound to get digital eventually but it's no use at the minute.

Don't hold your breath.:)