Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Will my DAB radio work in Oz??

Will my DAB radio work in Oz??

Old May 21st 2007, 4:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light
Question Will my DAB radio work in Oz??

Exactly as the title says. Anyone have any idea?

Tasha x
Old May 21st 2007, 5:19 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will my DAB radio work in Oz??

If they had digital radio in Oz it would work.

But digital radio is only at the experimental stage in Oz.

Gina
Old May 21st 2007, 6:08 pm

James Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant future

Looks like you would need an upgraded radio when it does become available.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Audio_Broadcasting

Australia has been testing DAB broadcasting systems since 1999, and larger parts of greater Sydney and Melbourne have DAB coverage. In October 2005, Helen Coonan, the Australian Minister for Communications, Information Technology and the Arts, announced Australia's plans for digital radio. Helen Coonan announced the adoption of a Eureka 147 system but added that the Australian radio industry should investigate the use of newer audio compression technology that would allow more services to be broadcast in the available spectrum, which has been reserved in Band III and L-Band.[19] The Australian Government has set a launch date for digital radio in the six state capital cities - January 1, 2009. Australia will use the AAC+ codec provided with upgraded DAB+ standard. Test transmissions of DAB+ were carried out in Sydney in October 2006.
Old May 21st 2007, 11:54 pm
Forum Regular

smiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to all

Hi
I'm in Brissy. Brought my DAB radio with us from the UK. Radio works fine but it's not digital!
Old May 22nd 2007, 12:03 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in Sydney. Our DAB radio works fine where we are, but it is dependent on whether you can pick up the test digital signals or not. We can get about 10 stations.

I think we've got a Cambridge A300, but don't quote me on that one.
Old May 22nd 2007, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Lal Lal a rural community outside Ballarat VIC, previously Kent England
oliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chels View Post
I'm in Sydney. Our DAB radio works fine where we are, but it is dependent on whether you can pick up the test digital signals or not. We can get about 10 stations.

I think we've got a Cambridge A300, but don't quote me on that one.
We are in regional VIC but unfortunately our DAB does not work, shame, cos it was bloody good in the UK
Old May 22nd 2007, 10:32 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by 4Reids View Post
Exactly as the title says. Anyone have any idea?

Tasha x
Recently sold our Technics one on eBay to a guy on the East coast, he says it is working well, that was brought with us from the UK.
Old May 22nd 2007, 10:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Lal Lal a rural community outside Ballarat VIC, previously Kent England
oliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CadburysFingers View Post
Recently sold our Technics one on eBay to a guy on the East coast, he says it is working well, that was brought with us from the UK.
ooo thats a good idea, i think i might list mine on ebay then
Old May 22nd 2007, 10:40 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by oliverandlisa View Post
ooo thats a good idea, i think i might list mine on ebay then
Got almost $300 for ours, I was literally gobsmacked, the guy that bought it had all Technics hifi separates and wanted a matching DAB, so was prepared to pay to get it.
Old May 22nd 2007, 11:18 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oliverandlisa View Post
We are in regional VIC but unfortunately our DAB does not work, shame, cos it was bloody good in the UK
We're planning a move, possibly, to Brisbane. One of the things I'll miss is being able to pick up digital radio