British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Will my DAB radio work in Oz?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/will-my-dab-radio-work-oz-452017/)

4Reids May 21st 2007 4:05 pm

Will my DAB radio work in Oz??

Exactly as the title says. Anyone have any idea?

Tasha x

GinaUK May 21st 2007 5:19 pm

Re: Will my DAB radio work in Oz??

If they had digital radio in Oz it would work. ;)

But digital radio is only at the experimental stage in Oz.

Gina

James Box May 21st 2007 6:08 pm

Looks like you would need an upgraded radio when it does become available.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Audio_Broadcasting

Australia has been testing DAB broadcasting systems since 1999, and larger parts of greater Sydney and Melbourne have DAB coverage. In October 2005, Helen Coonan, the Australian Minister for Communications, Information Technology and the Arts, announced Australia's plans for digital radio. Helen Coonan announced the adoption of a Eureka 147 system but added that the Australian radio industry should investigate the use of newer audio compression technology that would allow more services to be broadcast in the available spectrum, which has been reserved in Band III and L-Band.[19] The Australian Government has set a launch date for digital radio in the six state capital cities - January 1, 2009. Australia will use the AAC+ codec provided with upgraded DAB+ standard. Test transmissions of DAB+ were carried out in Sydney in October 2006.

smiths May 21st 2007 11:54 pm

Hi
I'm in Brissy. Brought my DAB radio with us from the UK. Radio works fine but it's not digital!

chels May 22nd 2007 12:03 am

I'm in Sydney. Our DAB radio works fine where we are, but it is dependent on whether you can pick up the test digital signals or not. We can get about 10 stations.

I think we've got a Cambridge A300, but don't quote me on that one.

oliverandlisa May 22nd 2007 10:22 am

Originally Posted by chels (Post 4811994)
I'm in Sydney. Our DAB radio works fine where we are, but it is dependent on whether you can pick up the test digital signals or not. We can get about 10 stations.

I think we've got a Cambridge A300, but don't quote me on that one.

We are in regional VIC but unfortunately our DAB does not work, shame, cos it was bloody good in the UK

CadburysFingers May 22nd 2007 10:32 am

Originally Posted by 4Reids (Post 4810367)
Exactly as the title says. Anyone have any idea?

Tasha x

Recently sold our Technics one on eBay to a guy on the East coast, he says it is working well, that was brought with us from the UK.

oliverandlisa May 22nd 2007 10:38 am

Originally Posted by CadburysFingers (Post 4813826)
Recently sold our Technics one on eBay to a guy on the East coast, he says it is working well, that was brought with us from the UK.

ooo thats a good idea, i think i might list mine on ebay then

CadburysFingers May 22nd 2007 10:40 am

Originally Posted by oliverandlisa (Post 4813866)
ooo thats a good idea, i think i might list mine on ebay then

Got almost $300 for ours, I was literally gobsmacked, the guy that bought it had all Technics hifi separates and wanted a matching DAB, so was prepared to pay to get it.

chels May 22nd 2007 11:18 am

Originally Posted by oliverandlisa (Post 4813788)
We are in regional VIC but unfortunately our DAB does not work, shame, cos it was bloody good in the UK

We're planning a move, possibly, to Brisbane. One of the things I'll miss is being able to pick up digital radio :(