Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Will the last person left in Oz please turn off the lights

Will the last person left in Oz please turn off the lights

Old Apr 20th 2004, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Will the last person left in Oz please turn off the lights

Have a look at this link

It shows the change in Oz permanent departures against permanent arrivals.

Since 1982, the % of 'permanent departures/arrivals' has been increasing by ~1% each year and the drain is accelerating.

In 2002-2003, it reached an all-time high of ~54%. So a crude calculation suggests that by ~2040 the number leaving Oz permanently will be greater than those arriving.

Better bring in those asylum seekers....
Old Apr 20th 2004, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

steve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to all
Default Re: Will the last person left in Oz please turn off the lights

Originally posted by MikeStanton
Have a look at this link

It shows the change in Oz permanent departures against permanent arrivals.

Since 1982, the % of 'permanent departures/arrivals' has been increasing by ~1% each year and the drain is accelerating.

In 2002-2003, it reached an all-time high of ~54%. So a crude calculation suggests that by ~2040 the number leaving Oz permanently will be greater than those arriving.

Better bring in those asylum seekers....

Your point is???????????
Old Apr 20th 2004, 9:54 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will the last person left in Oz please turn off the lights

Originally posted by steve-n-jo
Your point is???????????
Yeah, so what?.
Old Apr 20th 2004, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

Terry is an unknown quantity at this point

Think Mike wants to justify his move back.
Old Apr 20th 2004, 10:19 pm
wombat42

After reading Mike Stanton's post l have decided to leave this hell on earth and go down to the airport and do battle with the teeming millions fighting for the last places on the aeroplanes out
of Australia like they are the last choppers out of Siagon.

Old Apr 20th 2004, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

steve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to all

Originally posted by wombat42
After reading Mike Stanton's post l have decided to leave this hell on earth and go down to the airport and do battle with the teeming millions fighting for the last places on the aeroplanes out
of Australia like they are the last choppers out of Siagon.

Is it busy???
Old Apr 20th 2004, 10:33 pm
ABCDiamond

According to the Official Government Population clock the population of Australia is increasing at an overall total population increase of one person every 2 minutes and 7 seconds.

Population hit 20,000,000 on 4/12/03, and is currently showing at 20,079,682

Looks like the lights won't get turned off !!

Old Apr 20th 2004, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

Terry is an unknown quantity at this point

Too true ABC.

They may fuse every now and then but not go out.

I was interested to see that only around 6% of Uk. migrants returned.
Old Apr 20th 2004, 10:52 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Terry
Too true ABC.

That's the first time I have seen an actual figure quoted of UK born leaving Australia permanenty.

The United Kingdom-born were the second largest emigrant group, with 3,220 people departing permanently, in 2002-3
Info from: link

If that is about correct, and we compare that figure to the number of Permananet Visa issued annually to the British, we get a good idea of the actual % that do return.

The migration program for 2003-04 has 100,000 to 110,000 places available for migrants, how many will be from the UK ?

But it is only statistics

Old Apr 20th 2004, 10:58 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Terry
Too true ABC.

Not quite. There was a recent thread which looked at this and duting the nineties it was about 35% return rate. As ABC says all bloody stats.

There are some flaws in the technique used that double counts the no of new residents and undercounts the no of leavers.

The figures I quoted in the previous thread appear to be from this source.
Old Apr 20th 2004, 11:25 pm
ABCDiamond

Statistics must also be read, and re-conveyed very carefully !!

Otherwise we get chinese whispers very easily.

Old Apr 20th 2004, 11:27 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
Statistics must also be read, and re-conveyed very carefully !!

Otherwise we get chinese whispers very easily.
Or John Bull whispers in this instance.
Old Apr 21st 2004, 12:38 am
Location.. in my office

cadabra is an unknown quantity at this point

Does it really matter what other people are doing? As long as i am happy i really do not care who leaves and who stays.

Maybe Mike is feeling a bit insecure about his move and needs to re assure himself.
Old Apr 21st 2004, 12:45 am
BE Enthusiast

wombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to all

I agree. Couldnt give a sh*t who decides to leave or how many there are. Every case depends on the individual.
Old Apr 21st 2004, 2:47 am
Forum Regular

wulfruna is a glorious beacon of lightwulfruna is a glorious beacon of lightwulfruna is a glorious beacon of lightwulfruna is a glorious beacon of lightwulfruna is a glorious beacon of lightwulfruna is a glorious beacon of lightwulfruna is a glorious beacon of lightwulfruna is a glorious beacon of lightwulfruna is a glorious beacon of lightwulfruna is a glorious beacon of lightwulfruna is a glorious beacon of light

I agree. I'm not leaving life is good

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.