Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Will insurance cover possum damage?

Will insurance cover possum damage?

Old Jul 26th 2008, 1:40 am
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute
Default Will insurance cover possum damage?

I'll need to get in touch with SGIO, but until they open on Monday does anyone have any experience of recovering costs after possum damage?

We had a bit of a shock in the night to discover a possum lifting the air con ceiling vent and peering into the bedroom. Hubby has been up into the loft and he (the possum not hubby) has shredded a fair whack of the air con ducting. We can't see where it is getting in from though.
Old Jul 26th 2008, 2:10 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Will insurance cover possum damage?

Originally Posted by sunbather
I'll need to get in touch with SGIO, but until they open on Monday does anyone have any experience of recovering costs after possum damage?

We had a bit of a shock in the night to discover a possum lifting the air con ceiling vent and peering into the bedroom. Hubby has been up into the loft and he (the possum not hubby) has shredded a fair whack of the air con ducting. We can't see where it is getting in from though.
Wouldnt think insurance would pay unless there had been say a fire caused the possum.

WW
Old Jul 26th 2008, 4:17 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunbather

What about the shock the possum would have got?
Seriously, everything that is covered, and what is not, will be in your PDS (Product Disclosure Statement) booklet that you got when you took out your policy. I suggest you read it, as it will usually tell you all you need to know, though I would be surprised if what you a saying will be covered.

Last edited by The Bloke; Jul 26th 2008 at 4:20 am.
Old Jul 26th 2008, 11:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Cookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud of

Someone told me the other day that the best way to get rid of a possum in the roof is to leave a torch on up there as they hate the light. Worth a try!!

Angela
Old Jul 26th 2008, 11:52 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

We were told that too, that you should fit a security light.

We had possums in our roof and it took our rental agent MONTHS to get rid of them, and that was after getting someone to illgally remove them (you need a permit here in SA), and then just blocking up the holes (which we couldn't see either) leaving them entombed in the roof for two days!!! They only put a door for them to get out after I had to tell them I was going to report them!