Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

will i travel in the day or is it night?

will i travel in the day or is it night?

Old Sep 29th 2004, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

itsasecret is an unknown quantity at this point
Question will i travel in the day or is it night?

Hi,

Help, Im a little confused, and this may seem like a daft question, but i have asked around at work and had several different answers, some even scientific.

Q.
If i Fly from Manchester @10am (Uk time) and arrive (6am singapore time) have I flown through the night? or is it daylight all the way? If so do they treat it as a night time flight and close the window shutters on the plane..

Sorry its a silly question but you guys will know..
Old Sep 29th 2004, 3:32 pm
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: will i travel in the day or is it night?

The further east you go, the darker it will get.

Hope that helps.

Three Legs

Originally Posted by itsasecret
Hi,

Help, Im a little confused, and this may seem like a daft question, but i have asked around at work and had several different answers, some even scientific.

Q.
If i Fly from Manchester @10am (Uk time) and arrive (6am singapore time) have I flown through the night? or is it daylight all the way? If so do they treat it as a night time flight and close the window shutters on the plane..

Old Sep 29th 2004, 3:32 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

You will fly probably into the night, from the Uk, if you arrive at 6am local, as you fly over Asia it will probably get dark because you will fly through the sunrise - very bright, keep the sunglasses handy if the shades are up. Hpwever, depending on local sunrise times you may be flying at dawn virtually all the time. Most airlines would have the shades down in that case, because it is very very bright.Do not look without glasses -you'll feel it later (info and advice from an airline pilot)
Check the time of sunrise in SIN at the time of year you are flying - there is a link on the thread about "what time is it dark in Brisbane" posted yesterday.......
Old Sep 29th 2004, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

Gabriel is just really niceGabriel is just really niceGabriel is just really niceGabriel is just really niceGabriel is just really niceGabriel is just really niceGabriel is just really niceGabriel is just really niceGabriel is just really nice

Hi,

Q.

Singapore is GMT +8. It will be 6pm in Singapore at the time of your take-off. Your flight will take about 12 hours. You are going to fly during the night, too. You will arrive there next day morning.
Old Sep 29th 2004, 8:06 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Mmmmmmm........this is all very confusing isn't it

Wonder if the airlines can provide thick brown paper bags.
We can then pretend it's night-time all the way without having to adjust the shades.
Old Sep 29th 2004, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

mrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pollyana
You will fly probably into the night, from the Uk, if you arrive at 6am local, as you fly over Asia it will probably get dark because you will fly through the sunrise - very bright, keep the sunglasses handy if the shades are up. Hpwever, depending on local sunrise times you may be flying at dawn virtually all the time. Most airlines would have the shades down in that case, because it is very very bright.Do not look without glasses -you'll feel it later (info and advice from an airline pilot)
Check the time of sunrise in SIN at the time of year you are flying - there is a link on the thread about "what time is it dark in Brisbane" posted yesterday.......
hence the reason for those dodgy "aviator" sunglasses...
Old Sep 29th 2004, 10:06 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

As you fly east, you are in a sense flying forward in time. You will touch down in Singapore at approx 10pm British time, but in fact it is 6am Singapore time the following day. So your day and night will in total be shorter by about 8 hours!

Flying through several time zones is weird......I've never flown over the international dateline yet, but I imagine crossing it eastwards must be seriously strange as you have to live through the same day twice. Great if it's your birthday, you get to have two birthdays in a row!
Old Sep 30th 2004, 3:00 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonyk38

Flying through several time zones is weird......I've never flown over the international dateline yet, but I imagine crossing it eastwards must be seriously strange as you have to live through the same day twice. Great if it's your birthday, you get to have two birthdays in a row!
Or if you fly west over the dateline you may miss your birthday entirely

Jeremy
Old Sep 30th 2004, 3:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

I think you have it the wrong way round. You gain time when you fly west and lose it when you fly east.
Old Sep 30th 2004, 3:23 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gibbo
I think you have it the wrong way round. You gain time when you fly west and lose it when you fly east.
Not when the dateline's involved, you dont!

We left Sydney for LA on my son's 10th birthday. He thought all his Christmases had come at once - a trip to Disneyland AND a 36 hour-long birthday. By the time we got there (ie before we'd arrived) he was thoroughly sick of it!

Last edited by NickyC; Sep 30th 2004 at 3:32 am.
Old Sep 30th 2004, 3:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Wasn't thinking of flying to USA. Don't fly that way unless I have to. Even doing a round the world trip I prefer circumnavigating via Asia and Europe.
Old Sep 30th 2004, 6:46 am
Forum Regular

fraze1987 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Q.

We're doing the same kind of flight - leave heathrow at 1115 and arrive in Singapore at 0750. We've got one night there before flying to Sydney at 0900 and arriving in Sydney at 1920.
Has anyone got any tips on how to handle the jet lag involved. I was thinking that it would be best to try and get some on the leg to Singapore then try and stay awake as late as possible into the night to try and get ourselves in sync with local time?
Old Sep 30th 2004, 7:06 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Get onto Aussie time as soon as possible - easier if you are flying straight through of course. Try and stay awake throughout the leg to Sydney, and don't allow yourself to sleep when you get here till 10 or 11pm, then get up at a normal time the next day.