Reload this Page >

Will I miss Marks and Spencer??

Will I miss Marks and Spencer??

Old May 2nd 2010, 6:14 pm
Just Joined

Schmeva will become famous soon enough
Default Will I miss Marks and Spencer??

Hi all,

We are hopefully moving to Sydney from London in Jan 2010. I'm originally from Perth and married a Brit so been living in the UK for 10 years. Problem is that I've been spoiled with Marks and Spencer, mostly the food. I love it for being fresh and easy if I'm too tired to cook from scratch and also for the kids meals.

This may be a silly question coming from an native Aussie, but is there an Australian equivalent to M&S? I've been away for so long and when I am back I shop at Coles, IGA and Woolworths but cant seem to find decent pre-prepared food.

Don't get me wrong, I love cooking from scratch and Australian food is as fresh as it comes, but it would be nice to know!!!

Cant wait to move across though, M&S or no M&S!!!
Old May 2nd 2010, 7:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

suebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Will I miss Marks and Spencer??

Lots of stuff I love about Oz but food shopping is not one of them. I am exactly like you in that I love M&S and buy almost all my food there.

The answer is YES - I have lived in Sydney, Brisbane, Cairns and Perth and there is absolutely nothing that remotely resembles food shopping in M&S - sorry!
Old May 2nd 2010, 8:59 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

The prepackaged food choices in Australia are terrible. However, the quality of the fresh produce I find better.

Be nice to have both
Old May 2nd 2010, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

Crystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond repute

I hate to say it but yes, you'll miss M&S (and Waitrose and even Tesco) if you're anything like me.

I spend so much time in the kitchen. Seems to be a big thing here, a lot of the conversation revolves around recipes. Lovely to have unprocessed, healthy food but surely I'm supposed to be enjoying the great outdoors, not chained to the oven !

I also miss the clothes (especially undies and kids')

I've lived in Dubai and Hong Kong, both of which had M&S, sigh....
Old May 2nd 2010, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

Yes but they do deliver here but obviously just clothes!

I miss their food, especially at Christmas!
Old May 2nd 2010, 11:05 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Schmeva
This may be a silly question coming from an native Aussie, but is there an Australian equivalent to M&S? I've been away for so long and when I am back I shop at Coles, IGA and Woolworths but cant seem to find decent pre-prepared food.
Pre-prepared food is something that just wasn't really available here some years ago, but it is slowly becoming more 'fashionable'. However, it still has a long way to go till it becomes like the UK.

Until then, the popular options seem to be: people cook fresh food, or eat out.

Old May 2nd 2010, 11:52 pm
Banned

AllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really nice

Hi all,

We are hopefully moving to Sydney from London in Jan 2010. I'm originally from Perth and married a Brit so been living in the UK for 10 years. Problem is that I've been spoiled with Marks and Spencer, mostly the food. I love it for being fresh and easy if I'm too tired to cook from scratch and also for the kids meals.

Don't get me wrong, I love cooking from scratch and Australian food is as fresh as it comes, but it would be nice to know!!!

David Jones food hall is about as close as you'll get. Lots of alternatives:
http://www.eatability.com.au/au/sydney/
Old May 3rd 2010, 12:03 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AllGoode
David Jones food hall is about as close as you'll get. Lots of alternatives:
http://www.eatability.com.au/au/sydney/
Oh you and your proper city ways

Brisbane - like a city, only more backward. I'd love proper food halls where people might be forced to wear shoes
Old May 3rd 2010, 12:32 am
Just Joined

paulaff is an unknown quantity at this point

I do miss it very much for food and clothes, and Next and other places.... but you make do. Lots of other things to make up for it!
Old May 3rd 2010, 12:33 am
Banned

AllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really nice

Originally Posted by Centurion
Oh you and your proper city ways

Brisbane - like a city, only more backward. I'd love proper food halls where people might be forced to wear shoes
No food hall in any David Jones Qld stores:
http://www.davidjones.com.au/Services/Foodhall

Would gladiator sandals suffice, Centurion?
Old May 3rd 2010, 12:53 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

You will miss it big time if you rely on processed packaged foods to feed your family. There is nothing equivalent here.
Old May 3rd 2010, 1:34 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by northernbird
You will miss it big time if you rely on processed packaged foods to feed your family. There is nothing equivalent here.
I miss the chicken and mayo sub rolls... but as I wasn't professional footballer or 'financial advisor' (surely an oxymoron) I couldn't actually afford the prices to do a weekly food shop there.
Old May 3rd 2010, 1:35 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I miss the chicken and mayo sub rolls... but as I wasn't professional footballer or 'financial advisor' (surely an oxymoron) I couldn't actually afford the prices to do a weekly food shop there.
Other than the sandwiches I have never eaten any processed food from M&S so I don't get the whole ready meal thing.
Old May 3rd 2010, 1:39 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Other than the sandwiches I have never eaten any processed food from M&S so I don't get the whole ready meal thing.
Ditto.. sarnies and I think a boned and rolled Christmas turkey one year was about the total of our M&S food shopping as well.
Old May 3rd 2010, 1:45 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Processed food is everywhere. Coles and Woolies sell plenty of it. It's not just ready meals.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.