Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Will I lose medicare assistance?

Will I lose medicare assistance?

Old May 17th 2011, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

paddyb157 will become famous soon enoughpaddyb157 will become famous soon enough
Unhappy Will I lose medicare assistance?

Hello everyone,

I am currently on a spouse visa (been on it for 18 months now) which entitles me to have a medicare card.

My 175 visa application has recently been granted and i'm going to leave and re-enter Oz to activate my PR.

Ususally when a 175 visa is granted you have to wait two years before you can claim medicare assistance.

Does this mean that i will lose my rights to have medicare assistance or would i still be entitled to it as i'm married to an Oz citizen.

Thanks in advance.
Old May 17th 2011, 9:01 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will I lose medicare assistance?

Originally Posted by paddyb157
Hello everyone,

I am currently on a spouse visa (been on it for 18 months now) which entitles me to have a medicare card.

My 175 visa application has recently been granted and i'm going to leave and re-enter Oz to activate my PR.

Ususally when a 175 visa is granted you have to wait two years before you can claim medicare assistance.

Does this mean that i will lose my rights to have medicare assistance or would i still be entitled to it as i'm married to an Oz citizen.

Thanks in advance.
Don't know where you got that idea from. Permanent residents are entitled to Medicare as soon as they arrive in Australia, whether on a Spouse Visa or a Skills Visa.
Old May 17th 2011, 9:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

As Polly says, no you won't.

But, just out of interest, why did you apply for a 175 visa if you already have a spouse visa?

Last edited by Alfresco; May 17th 2011 at 9:29 am.
Old May 17th 2011, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

paddyb157 will become famous soon enoughpaddyb157 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Alfresco
As Polly says, no you won't.

But, just out of interest, why did you apply for a 175 visa if you already have a spouse visa?
I applied for the 175 in march 2009. After having both working holiday visas expired, my wife and i decided to get married in January 2010.

Thanks for the info everyone. My thoughts were that i wasn't entitled to medicare for a certain period of time but i guess i was wrong.
Old May 17th 2011, 9:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyb157
I applied for the 175 in march 2009. After having both working holiday visas expired, my wife and i decided to get married in January 2010.

Thanks for the info everyone. My thoughts were that i wasn't entitled to medicare for a certain period of time but i guess i was wrong.

Ah! that explains it. All the best!
Old May 20th 2011, 4:28 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Because a 175 is much better than a temporary spouse visa?
Old May 20th 2011, 8:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by JAJ
Because a 175 is much better than a temporary spouse visa?
Thanks. I didn't know a spouse visa was only temporary.

So if people split up, the spouse visa is no longer valid?
Old May 20th 2011, 10:41 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. I didn't know a spouse visa was only temporary.

So if people split up, the spouse visa is no longer valid?
Most spouse visas are temporary for 2 years at first. PR is only granted straightaway if they have been together (married or cohabiting) for three years, or two years if they have children. After two years DIAC revisit the application and as long as the relationship is still ongoing, the Spouse gets PR.
If the relationship breaks up while on the temp part of the visa, then in the majority of circumstances the visa holder has to leave Aus as the visa is no longer valid. There are a few exceptions - if it breaks down because of domestic violence, or if the Aussie Spouse dies, but generally if the rel'ship is over, the visa is cancelled.

Hence if a Spouse Visa holder qualifies for PR under a Skills visa its often a lot quicker route to PR. They can enter Aus on the temp Spouse, apply for Skills PR and be "safe"a lot faster - no need to rely on the rel'ship lasting.
Old May 20th 2011, 11:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Most spouse visas are temporary for 2 years at first. PR is only granted straightaway if they have been together (married or cohabiting) for three years, or two years if they have children. After two years DIAC revisit the application and as long as the relationship is still ongoing, the Spouse gets PR.
If the relationship breaks up while on the temp part of the visa, then in the majority of circumstances the visa holder has to leave Aus as the visa is no longer valid. There are a few exceptions - if it breaks down because of domestic violence, or if the Aussie Spouse dies, but generally if the rel'ship is over, the visa is cancelled.

Hence if a Spouse Visa holder qualifies for PR under a Skills visa its often a lot quicker route to PR. They can enter Aus on the temp Spouse, apply for Skills PR and be "safe"a lot faster - no need to rely on the rel'ship lasting.

Cheers. I though it would be something like that. Stopping visa convenience marriages and the like.
Old May 20th 2011, 2:07 pm
Home and Happy

Cheers. I though it would be something like that. Stopping visa convenience marriages and the like.
Thats the idea yep, doesn't always work though.....remind me to tellk you about the Russian I used to work with sometime; apparently spouse visa scams from Russia used to be seriously big business.