Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Will I Fit In And Mix ?????

Will I Fit In And Mix ?????

Old Feb 15th 2005, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

FITCHETT FAMILY will become famous soon enough
Default Will I Fit In And Mix ?????

Hi i`m Scott age 12 the youngest member of the Fitchett clan.
I`m a bit worried that when i come to OZ as to whether kids will just ignore me coz i`m new or are they all friendly. I have lots of friends in England and hope to make new ones when i get there.
Can ne 1 help
Scott :scared:
Old Feb 15th 2005, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Manchester UK to Sydney, then decided Gold Coast, stayed there for 8 months and now back in sydney
threlly is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Will I Fit In And Mix ?????

Hi Scott,
I'm a secondary school teacher in manchester and i have new kids coming into my classes from around the world all the time and they all seem to fit in well, mix and make loads of friends. i spent a year in OZ in 98 and worked in some schools there, the kids over there are great and very friendly. you will be fine and should have no worries making friends. if u have loads of pals here, you must be a very nice person, so will make loads of new friends over in oz.

now can u offer me some advice. i am 32 and moving to sydney on may 1st, do u think i will fit in, mix and make new friends?

good luck and don't worry about it-you are going on a big adventure and will have a fab time

Originally Posted by FITCHETT FAMILY
I`m a bit worried that when i come to OZ as to whether kids will just ignore me coz i`m new or are they all friendly. I have lots of friends in England and hope to make new ones when i get there.
Can ne 1 help

Last edited by threlly; Feb 15th 2005 at 12:44 pm.
Old Feb 15th 2005, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

ajax4779 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Will I Fit In And Mix ?????

Can ne 1 help
Scot.
If you have lots of friends in England then you must have a nice friendly nature and will very quickly find yourself with plenty of friends in Australia.
I have always found Aussies of any age really nice and friendly.
Because you are so young and just starting secondary school you will have lots of friends in next to no time and then you will have to do mum and dad a favour and introduce them to your friends mum and dad.
Aussie kids will not ignore you so l ong as you are easy going with a sense of humor.
Old Feb 15th 2005, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will I Fit In And Mix ?????

I was the same age as you when we emigrated. First day at school was a bit daunting. They call school bags "ports" in some places. Everyone tends to ask you stupid questions, some think that London is the same as England. But it was all good. They'll love your accent.
Old Feb 15th 2005, 1:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

Just noticed where you're from. I was from Preston (Leyland) aswell, and moved to Brisbane.
Old Feb 15th 2005, 3:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Can ne 1 help

Hi Scott,

I can sympathise with your worries as my stepson has recently been through the same thing. He too is 12 and has been at secondary school in the UK for a term before moving out here to Perth.

On his first day at school he was very worried about being the only Brit, therefore no one would like him and he would make no friends etc. Unfortunately these negative feelings took over for him and I think that pretty much he spent the whole day moping about with a miserable face, and therefore didnt really meet anyone or make any friends. Anyway this resulted in a very unhappy evening as he decalred he hated the school, etc.

We spoke to him an explained that he had to make the best of it and that he needed to be positive and more outgoing if he was to make friends. Much to our relief, he came home on the second day having made 4 or 5 friends and has a much better day. Since then things have gradually got better and better and he is enjoying school here.

If you are moving to Perth we will have to arrange to meet your parents and I am sure you and my stepson (Nathan) will get along great. If you are moving elsewhere, best of luck.. Stay positive, try not to be a whinging pom, etc. and you will do just fine
Old Feb 15th 2005, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

FITCHETT FAMILY will become famous soon enough
Cool Re: Will I Fit In And Mix ?????

Originally Posted by darkless
Hi Scott,

I can sympathise with your worries as my stepson has recently been through the same thing. He too is 12 and has been at secondary school in the UK for a term before moving out here to Perth.

On his first day at school he was very worried about being the only Brit, therefore no one would like him and he would make no friends etc. Unfortunately these negative feelings took over for him and I think that pretty much he spent the whole day moping about with a miserable face, and therefore didnt really meet anyone or make any friends. Anyway this resulted in a very unhappy evening as he decalred he hated the school, etc.

We spoke to him an explained that he had to make the best of it and that he needed to be positive and more outgoing if he was to make friends. Much to our relief, he came home on the second day having made 4 or 5 friends and has a much better day. Since then things have gradually got better and better and he is enjoying school here.

If you are moving to Perth we will have to arrange to meet your parents and I am sure you and my stepson (Nathan) will get along great. If you are moving elsewhere, best of luck.. Stay positive, try not to be a whinging pom, etc. and you will do just fine
Hi all,
Thanks for all your advice, its really helped and i dont feel as scared as i was.
We are moving to Melbourne, somewhere near Geelong.
I hope to make many friends when I'm there.
Thanks again.
Scott