Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Will I find it hard to find rental house that will take my dog too in Brisbane?

Will I find it hard to find rental house that will take my dog too in Brisbane?

Old Nov 24th 2004, 11:54 am

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Will I find it hard to find rental house that will take my dog too in Brisbane?

Hi Guys

Just wondering how easily we will be able to get a rental house that has my 2 main requirements in Brisbane - decent area no more than an hours drive from Brisabane CBD (Sunshine coast)

1. A/C
2. Takes my dog Poppy (border collie x)
3. Would love a pool

Anyone got any experience of arriving in Brisbane with your pet dog?

Thanks Lynn
Old Nov 24th 2004, 12:23 pm
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of
Default Re: Will I find it hard to find rental house that will take my dog too in Brisbane?

Originally Posted by lynnlovessun
Hi Guys

Just wondering how easily we will be able to get a rental house that has my 2 main requirements in Brisbane - decent area no more than an hours drive from Brisabane CBD (Sunshine coast)

1. A/C
3. Would love a pool

Thanks Lynn
Sorry in Perth, but have hidden the dog! loved the house so much said I didn't have one to get it, have to get him out the place on visit days.
Jenny
Old Nov 24th 2004, 1:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: To the world you are one person...to one person you may be the world
logan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nice
Default Re: Will I find it hard to find rental house that will take my dog too in Brisbane?

Wondered about this myself and e-mailed a few of the estate agents in the North Brisbane suburbs. Also asked when we were over, and the response was it depends on each individual landlord. Hopefully it will be ok as we want an unfurnished place. We have 3 indoor cats, so have a similar problem. We're looking at the Burpengary/Petrie area.

One thing I won't do is not tell them. We did this in our present place, and it's a nightmare!! Our own fault I know for not declaring them, but there were so few unfurnished places and it was perfect for us. The letting agency was so efficient and told us of the 3 inspection days and times when we signed contract. The first they cancelled on the day, the second they just never showed up and the third cancelled on the day. As I said it's our own fault, but we have a lot of cat paraphenalia to take down to the car (3 storeys up!) plus spend up to an hour in the car with the 3 of them...nightmare! :scared: We've another coming up and now have told them that "occasionaly" I look after them for my "sister", but anyone who came in would know that they're very much at home!
Old Nov 25th 2004, 3:54 am
Forum Regular

Bella3 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm a bit concerned about this too. We are about to put our house in Perth on the market and rent for a while again, before we move to Qld to rent. We have a year old lab/kelpie cross, (didn't have her when we rented before), and I am concerned that the only places that will allow pets will be scraping the bottom of the barrel. She is very quiet and never barks (unless she catches a wasp which seems to be a past time of hers and then plays with it). I am thinking of getting a reference from our neighbours that she is quiet. I don't know if playing with her squeaky toys at 5am and rearranging the outdoor furniture in the middle of the night counts as quiet though!
Old Nov 25th 2004, 10:34 am

I would be worried by not declaring Poppy, incase the neighbours reported me or something. Poppy is no bother though - hyper but not troublesome and wouldn't annoy the neighbours or trash the house or anything.

It would be great to get some more feedback on ex pats that have actually been in this situation - and if they still got a nice unfurnished house.

Lynn
Old Nov 25th 2004, 10:53 am
Look at me kimmie

leanda will become famous soon enoughleanda will become famous soon enough

I would be worried by not declaring Poppy, incase the neighbours reported me or something. Poppy is no bother though - hyper but not troublesome and wouldn't annoy the neighbours or trash the house or anything.

It would be great to get some more feedback on ex pats that have actually been in this situation - and if they still got a nice unfurnished house.

Lynn

We dont have any pets, but trawled through the rental properties for weeks until we settled just outside Brisbane, and from our experience would say that most rental properties do specify no pets, (sorry don't shot the messenger!) having said that you will obviously find somebody who doesn't mind but in our experience it would be 95% against and 5% dont mind, rental properties over here are a varied bunch, but the basic rules apply in that the more you pay the better you get. Also rental property depending on the area is not endless and some weeks there was nothing to look at, we were lucky and were in no rush as were staying with family but if its a good area the houses are snapped up. Sorry cant be more postive.
Old Nov 26th 2004, 1:14 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Hi Guys

1. A/C
3. Would love a pool

Thanks Lynn
I've been renting with pets for years around Brisbane ( cats not dogs). You'll find that around 25, 28, 30 tops do allow pets. I really wouldn't like to put a figure on it, but it's way below 50%
If you look through the adverts on the realestate site,http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...&t=ren&snf=rbs you will find some that say Pets negotiable. You will also come across "outside pets only" - this is usually referring to dogs. Landlords not wanting big dogs in the house, but quite happy for outside dogs. I've rented a few of these in the past with inside cats, these landlords are usually quite happy about cats inside but not dogs.

You may have trouble getting a home which allows inside large dogs though, outside dog is not a problem with many of the ones that do allow pets.
cats no prob with any of the ones I've personally come across and rented which has said pets negotiable.

Also if the adverts don't mention pets, often some of these do allow pets of you ask them to ask the landlord.

sunshine beach, near Noosa heads

SUNSHINE BEACH HOUSE
$420 p.w.
SUNSHINE BEACH
Set back off the street with shaded parking is a lovely 5 bedroom unfurnished home with two bathrooms, a great covered deck upstairs with view to The Hinterland - great for entertaining. Freshly painted throughout this home features three bedrooms upstairs with one bathroom, separate toilet, large kitchen with dishwasher, dining and lounge rooms. Downstairs features two bedrooms, one bathroom, large lounge area and kitchenette with an undercover patio area. Fenced back yard with garden shed. Landscaped gardens. Pets are negotiable, but yard is not fully fenced.

(I'd say this one allows dogs, because it mentions that is not fully fenced, which most people with dogs need it to be fenced, as they don't want to tie their dogs up)

This was on the first page, I don't know what area you want.. but try scrolling through the hundreds of adverts there to find pets allowed, or negotiable if you have time.

Petrie

On the first page again
LOVELY LOWSET BRICK
$240 p.w.
PETRIE
What a comfortable family home. Situated in a very quiet neighbourhood on a level block with access to rear. Three built-in bedrooms, formal lounge/dining, delightful kitchen with plenty of cupboard space, family room leading to outside entertainment area, 2 car accommodation. The home is insulated for comfort all year round comfort. An easy stroll to all amenities. Pets considered on application.

also try searching this forum, with the advanced search, with some keywords such as Dogs Brisbane, pets, cats Brisbane etc etc, and you'll find lots of old posts on this subject, youll need to scroll through the posts that say Pets, cats, dogs etc

There are plenty of rentals that do allow animals if you look, you just have less choice of properties than someone with no pets that's all.

Most rentals that will allow pets will say "pets negotiable " on the advert( this can mean that the landlord doesn't want inside dogs, but outside, or he doesn't mind one dog, but draws the line at a load of big rottweilers etc ) , and some others that will allow pets don't often mention them at all. It's down to the landlord.

Cheers

P.s " Hopefully it will be ok as we want an unfurnished place" - this doesn't even come into it here. Most rentals are unfurnished. You'd have a tough job trying to find a furnished rental house in Brisbane even if you wanted one

You won't have a very tough job finding a rental with cats, not in the Petrie area by the looks of it. There are too many adverts for me to look through to find the ones that do allow pets. But if you have time just scroll through each advert for that area. Good luck

Last edited by Ceri; Nov 26th 2004 at 1:45 am.
Old Nov 26th 2004, 11:39 am

Thanks Ceri for that, I feel a bit more reasurred now about the whole situation. Poppy is only a small-medium dog and no trouble so maybe when the time comes if we ask very nicely they will let us rent.

Lynn
Old Nov 26th 2004, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

CornishPasty is on a distinguished road

We are thinking about a pet and asked our agent and they said the owner doesnt mind which surprised us - as long as its a small to medium sized dog. Reason for that was they didnt want damage from a heavy dogs claws on the wooden floors (which I understand, as the g/fs sis has two labs and the floor is really scratched up!)

Most places dont allow it but some do, a shot in the dark when I was looking was like 1 in 4 or 5.

I would definatley not lie about it, I wouldnt want the daily stress of them finding out and kicking us out and claiming the bond to have the place sprayed etc.