Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Will I be able to stand the HOT weather?

Will I be able to stand the HOT weather?

Old Jan 23rd 2006, 8:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will I be able to stand the HOT weather?

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
Tasmania

Do you have a map?
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 8:44 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Do you have a map?

Old Jan 23rd 2006, 1:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by martinw01908
I'm after finding out how hot the summer will be in Australia so how hot does it actually get in practice?

I don't like the heatwaves that we have in the UK nowadays where it hits 28-33C in the summer for a month or so. Its not the temp outside thats the problem, its sleeping inside and working in it. The UK isn't geared up for hot weather. Not many places have aircon. Whereas I imagine Aus is very well prepared.

The other issue is mozzies. Where is Aus are there less of them about ? - because I get bitten like mad if I go to Spain etc Hate them,
One of the reasons we chose Melbourne was because I don't cope too well in the heat. I've been here 6 months now and the weather is normally great.

The last couple of days over 42 degrees crippled me though - hubby couldn't understand why I was sobbing but when we arrived at a friend's who had air conditioning (they were out but took pity on us) I think he got the picture when I lay down on the rug in front of it and didn't move for the 2 1/2 hours they went swimming.

My goal for when we get out of the rental used to be to get a pool. Air con just topped it in my house buying stakes. I'd say if you'll be office based with lovely air conditioning you'll be fine, if you're on a building site you'll be stuffed.

As for the mossies, well they come in fits and starts. Just as you say, "well actually I haven't been bitten for 3 weeks", you're guaranteed to get a good 6 or 7 bites. Those plug in zappers are cheap and work well in bedrooms though.

The lovely thing about Melbourne is that although you may get a day of hellishly hot weather the next day it can be lovely, fresh and cool.

I've certainly got no regrets and have kept from burning despite enjoying all the weather has to offer - nobody laughs at silly hats and ultra white cream on noses over here.

Give it a go.

Flip
Old Feb 7th 2006, 1:20 pm
tin
Brisbane bound

tin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of light

I'm after finding out how hot the summer will be in Australia. And which bit to head to as some bits are hotter than others. (I don't like it too hot) And yes I have googled! It looks like Melbourne has an average high of 26C in Jan and Feb, which doesn't sound too hot for me. But thats an average, so how hot does it actually get in practice?

I don't like the heatwaves that we have in the UK nowadays where it hits 28-33C in the summer for a month or so. Its not the temp outside thats the problem, its sleeping inside and working in it. The UK isn't geared up for hot weather. Not many places have aircon. Whereas I imagine Aus is very well prepared.

The other issue is mozzies. Where is Aus are there less of them about ? - because I get bitten like mad if I go to Spain etc Hate them,

It might sound like Aus is not the place for me to live, if you think thats the case please say! Because thats what I am trying to do - decide about going. Any help gratefully recieved.
Have you considered New Zealand? Many of the advantages of Aus without the heat..... I seriously considered it myself but I'm an African boy and would take 40c over 0c any day!

Martyn
Old Feb 7th 2006, 3:20 pm

Scotty123 is an unknown quantity at this point

best thing to do is get out there and get climatised, dont sit in the aircon all day that way youll never get used to the temperatures... just a little bit of advice
Old Feb 7th 2006, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really nice

It's forecast 35C in Melbourne today. The nights seem to be getting chillier though, it's 7.30am and 11C at the moment.
Old Feb 7th 2006, 7:45 pm
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Please don't read too much into the AVERAGE temperature lol, Melbourne can go into the 40's some days.
But if you don't like it hot why move to the driest continent on the planet????? Why not look at Canada or New Zealand????? The world maybe your oyster
l love OZ's warm climate, theres no way l would want to freeze in Canada or New Zealand, where your trapped indoors half the year because its too cold and wet to go outdoors, atleast on a hot day in OZ you can go to the beach,
anyway you only get some hot days in OZ for a few months during summer, most of the year its cool to mild and under 25c degrees.

Last edited by Lord Pom Percy; Feb 7th 2006 at 7:49 pm.
Old Feb 7th 2006, 7:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
l love OZ's warm climate, theres no way l would want to freeze in Canada or New Zealand, where your trapped indoors half the year because its too cold and wet to go outdoors, atleast on a hot day in OZ you can go to the beach,
anyway you only get hot some days in OZ for a few months during summer, most of the year its cool to mild and under 25c degrees.
Is that you wombat?
Old Feb 7th 2006, 8:31 pm
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
Tasmania
If you want cool weather then Victoria or Tasmania.
Old Feb 7th 2006, 9:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

chaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond repute

I don't like the heatwaves that we have in the UK nowadays where it hits 28-33C in the summer for a month or so.
when was that 1976 ?
Old Feb 7th 2006, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really nice

Originally Posted by chaval
when was that 1976 ?
Apparently it got to 33C in London in June last year and it got to 38C in Gravesend in August the year before. Why does everyone only remember 1976 as the only hot summer the UK ever had?
Old Mar 4th 2006, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

martinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to all

I don't know why people always remember '76. I don't really remember it myself - I was too young.

But its true that over the last 8 years or so, the UK does have hotter summers than in the past. I think that UK cars which mostly have standard aircon fitted nowadays are a testiment to that. I remember it being 37C on my car thermometer whilst driving down to the coast to escape the heat a few summers ago.

But hey everybody, thanks for your replies. I haven't been around much and haven't been able to research my move at all over the last 2 months because I have been stuck working in 'bloody cold' Munich. My job is really pissing me off right now, and I would love to just get up and leave for Aus and not come back. Before I would have said I have a good job keeping me here, but now I have nothing to lose by upping and moving. I don't feel I have a decent job anymore. Almost quit this week.

Re: New Zealand, I have considered it, but from what I read, most of the work there is tourism or farming based. I don't think I would find work there. I am an electronics engineer. I wanted to go and visit Aus at the end of March but I am not allowed any time off form my job at the moment because I am working on a very important new contract. So it looks like it won't be until October/Nov now, the start of the next summer in Aus. I'm a bit worried that if I leave it any later I will be too old to get in. I am 33 next week.
Old Mar 4th 2006, 9:37 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Will I be able to stand the HOT weather?

I'm after finding out how hot the summer will be in Australia. And which bit to head to as some bits are hotter than others. (I don't like it too hot) And yes I have googled! It looks like Melbourne has an average high of 26C in Jan and Feb, which doesn't sound too hot for me. But thats an average, so how hot does it actually get in practice?

It might sound like Aus is not the place for me to live, if you think thats the case please say! Because thats what I am trying to do - decide about going. Any help gratefully recieved.
LOL, you think 28-33 is a heatwave!

Awwww... bless!
Old Mar 4th 2006, 9:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Ialibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know why people always remember '76. I don't really remember it myself - I was too young.

But its true that over the last 8 years or so, the UK does have hotter summers than in the past. I think that UK cars which mostly have standard aircon fitted nowadays are a testiment to that. I remember it being 37C on my car thermometer whilst driving down to the coast to escape the heat a few summers ago.

But hey everybody, thanks for your replies. I haven't been around much and haven't been able to research my move at all over the last 2 months because I have been stuck working in 'bloody cold' Munich. My job is really pissing me off right now, and I would love to just get up and leave for Aus and not come back. Before I would have said I have a good job keeping me here, but now I have nothing to lose by upping and moving. I don't feel I have a decent job anymore. Almost quit this week.
You could try the Australian Antarctic Territory, during last Summer's heat wave it reached 10c. As for mossies, absolutely none. Not even on Macquarie Island which is a thousand or so miles north.
Old Mar 4th 2006, 11:12 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Re: New Zealand, I have considered it, but from what I read, most of the work there is tourism or farming based. I don't think I would find work there. I am an electronics engineer. I am 33 next week.
Mate what have you been reading? They are screaming out for techie people in NZ. NZ is very big in same areas as OZ. Both have agrig and tourism but also many other sectors.

Check out: www.stuff.co.nz or www.worksite.govt.nz for further info

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.