Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Will I be able to stand the HOT weather?

Will I be able to stand the HOT weather?

Old Jan 17th 2006, 10:40 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will I be able to stand the HOT weather?

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath
If faced with the real posibility of freezing to death I think I may come through it having completed several survival courses during my flight training, including sleeping in the rough, no tents, sleeping bags etc. In eastern canada in winter. Had to drink the dirtiest water you could ever imagine, black bog water, smelled and tasted like shi*.
ewlllll
Old Jan 17th 2006, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by martinw01908
I'm after finding out how hot the summer will be in Australia. And which bit to head to as some bits are hotter than others. (I don't like it too hot) And yes I have googled! It looks like Melbourne has an average high of 26C in Jan and Feb, which doesn't sound too hot for me. But thats an average, so how hot does it actually get in practice?

I don't like the heatwaves that we have in the UK nowadays where it hits 28-33C in the summer for a month or so. Its not the temp outside thats the problem, its sleeping inside and working in it. The UK isn't geared up for hot weather. Not many places have aircon. Whereas I imagine Aus is very well prepared.

The other issue is mozzies. Where is Aus are there less of them about ? - because I get bitten like mad if I go to Spain etc Hate them,

It might sound like Aus is not the place for me to live, if you think thats the case please say! Because thats what I am trying to do - decide about going. Any help gratefully recieved.

Please don't read too much into the AVERAGE temperature lol, Melbourne can go into the 40's some days.
But if you don't like it hot why move to the driest continent on the planet????? Why not look at Canada or New Zealand????? The world maybe your oyster
Old Jan 17th 2006, 11:08 pm
Back in OZ!

ElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond repute

I would rather put up with Australian summer heat than London Summer heat! I lived 20 mins away from the coast, so come 3-4pm a nice sea breeze would come in. Also, having air conditioning in Australia helped big time, but for the first 13 years in Australia we never had it, so I got used to sleeping with a fan on.

The heat can be stifling at times, but the trick is to learn how to cope with it.

I sleep better in hot weather, with fan or air cond, than I do at any other time!!

Susan
Old Jan 17th 2006, 11:25 pm
Sye
Forum Regular

Sye will become famous soon enoughSye will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Do you get all those flies that like to sit on your face down there ? I would hate that !

I read that they do that in the drier areas, as they are looking for liquid to drink, ie: the sweat of your face. The wetter areas don't have as much of a problem.
Ahh ha.. ive been told the sweat thing before.. that must be it! coz they just dont leave you alone, in your ears, eyes, up your nose, in your mouth! and not too mention that if you stand still long enough, you'll have a swarm on your back!! no Kiddin... its really gettin me down now!!!!

and the fluctuating weather thrown in... AAARRGG..its really annoying! sorry just ranting!

need a
Old Jan 17th 2006, 11:37 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Sye
they just dont leave you alone, in your ears, eyes, up your nose, in your mouth! and not too mention that if you stand still long enough, you'll have a swarm on your back!! no Kiddin... its really gettin me down now!!!!
That's just put me right off your area !! I'm staying put right here, you can keep your flies

Old Jan 19th 2006, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

bleugh is on a distinguished road

That's just put me right off your area !! I'm staying put right here, you can keep your flies

I just know i'm going to be in for some interesting times,

I don't like the heat so much, love the cold, but i know i'll adjust and tend to take things as they are

the missus................unless she's in a room thats exactly 27.8576765734 degrees she's too hot or too cold, the moo moans about every bloody thing :-(, .........too cold, stick the heating on 80F..........ten min later, too hot, open all the windows...........:-( ah well, you just can't explain the concept of a thermostatically controlled heating system to some people, just because the radiators aren't on, doesnt mean the room's freezing :-(
Old Jan 20th 2006, 8:30 pm
Account Closed

Vinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud of

I'm after finding out how hot the summer will be in Australia. And which bit to head to as some bits are hotter than others. (I don't like it too hot) And yes I have googled! It looks like Melbourne has an average high of 26C in Jan and Feb, which doesn't sound too hot for me. But thats an average, so how hot does it actually get in practice?

I don't like the heatwaves that we have in the UK nowadays where it hits 28-33C in the summer for a month or so. Its not the temp outside thats the problem, its sleeping inside and working in it. The UK isn't geared up for hot weather. Not many places have aircon. Whereas I imagine Aus is very well prepared.

The other issue is mozzies. Where is Aus are there less of them about ? - because I get bitten like mad if I go to Spain etc Hate them,

It might sound like Aus is not the place for me to live, if you think thats the case please say! Because thats what I am trying to do - decide about going. Any help gratefully recieved.

Hmmmmm..

Been back in the UK for one week, while in Sydney it reached 44.2c...hot!
Up on Brissy it was 36c and steamy...... I sweat filling a kettle and am not good with the heat!

After one week of cold, dank,dark miserable rainy Manchester.....I would sooner be in Sydney whinging about the heat than Manchester moaing about the cold!
The answer is you react to the condiction...hot..turn the AC to max chill!
T shirt, shorts, fill the cold box with Tooheys and think of of the cold in the UK.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 12:33 am
Forum Regular

martinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to all

Thanks for all your replies. Blimey I didn't think this would be such a long thread! Thats great. It looks like Melbourne then if anything. Whats the fly/mozzie situation like there??
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 1:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for all your replies. Blimey I didn't think this would be such a long thread! Thats great. It looks like Melbourne then if anything. Whats the fly/mozzie situation like there??
Hey Martin

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but this weekend in Melbourne was a shocker...41 on Saturday and 43 on Sunday. It's sounds as though you are alot like my husband, which is part of the reason we came to Melbourne in the first place. The good news though is that these days are usually few and far between, most of summer is pleasant and hovers somewhere between 20 and 30 degrees. The flies are horrible but again, they are only really around for two or three months. The mozzies are nothing compared to the flies.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 1:16 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Tasmania
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 4:11 am

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vinny van Gogh
Hmmmmm..

Been back in the UK for one week, while in Sydney it reached 44.2c...hot!
Up on Brissy it was 36c and steamy...... I sweat filling a kettle and am not good with the heat!

After one week of cold, dank,dark miserable rainy Manchester.....I would sooner be in Sydney whinging about the heat than Manchester moaing about the cold!
The answer is you react to the condiction...hot..turn the AC to max chill!
T shirt, shorts, fill the cold box with Tooheys and think of of the cold in the UK.
Most homes in Sydney don't have A/C. On New year's day, the Westfield shopping centre at Bondi Junction was full of people, even though the shops weren't open! People were just sitting around for the A/C apparently!

In terms of climate (and everything else, in fact!), if I could chose again, the only place in Australia that I would even consider living long-term is Melbourne.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 4:31 am
...and loving it!

Snaphappy in Oz is an unknown quantity at this point

We are in WA-Port Kennedy.
I too was worried about the heat and flies. It has been quite hot some days, too hot to be outside, but then I felt that way in U.K. sometimes. I'd rather be stuck inside with pleasant blue skies showing outside than the variety of weather that kept me stuck inside in the U.K. And because of the big alfresco areas you can often sit out in pleasant shade whether it is hot or raining. The good thing here is that you always get the breeze in the afternoon...called the Freemantle Doctor....cos it makes you feel better!
The flies here were a problem when they first started, but they tend to last a few weeks then many disappear...I'm told even they can only stand the heat for a while!
All in all live here is much pleasanter than U.K. Anywhere you go there will be aspects you would rather not have but they haven't built paradise yet. I know where I'm happiest!
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 4:40 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by ShozInOz
Most homes in Sydney don't have A/C.
I lived in Sydney for a total of 12 years , and every house I had was air conditioned, and just about every friends house I visited also had air con.

From my experience, I would say that Most houses in Sydney DO have air con.

However, there are bound to be some that don't

Old Jan 23rd 2006, 6:17 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ShozInOz
Most homes in Sydney don't have A/C. On New year's day, the Westfield shopping centre at Bondi Junction was full of people, even though the shops weren't open! People were just sitting around for the A/C apparently!
There may not be too many air-conditioned houses in Coogee (although I live here too and we have two rooms with it) as the temperatures never bad enough for long enough to make it essential. Out west it's a different story - I don't know anyone who doesn't have it at least in a couple of rooms.

We only have it because I had some money I HAD to spend on a work-related expense (so - A/C in my home office).

We always used to go to the movies on hot days - always freezing in there.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 7:59 am

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point

I lived in Sydney for a total of 12 years , and every house I had was air conditioned, and just about every friends house I visited also had air con.

From my experience, I would say that Most houses in Sydney DO have air con.

However, there are bound to be some that don't
Maybe out West? We've been to one house with A/C in our 2 years here. But most people we know are Eastern suburbs and Sutherlandshire. Perhaps you can do a survey ;-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.