Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Will I be able to stand the HOT weather?

Will I be able to stand the HOT weather?

Old Jan 17th 2006, 6:55 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Will I be able to stand the HOT weather?

Originally Posted by ShozInOz
Well, it depends on what you cope with best. The summer here is, for me, more disabling than the English winter (especially with a baby/child). The flies start at the start of November to January, intense heat December to February, and the humidity lasts until March. Over the holiday period we hardly got outside because of the heat. In wet or cold weather, one just needs more clothes. More or less clothes here don't help (too hot versus burnt). My ideal would be six months of Sydney weather (March-May, Aug-Oct) and six of UK weather (May-October) in one -year.
Sounds like you are going through the same thing is me. My bubs is 6 months old. There are times when he is unsettled, especially in the afternoon, and I would love to take him for a walk in his pushchair but can't because of the heat. I am struggling to keep positive and see this as an interesting life experience.

Katie
Old Jan 17th 2006, 7:07 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

I'd better add that the weather (or the lack of really cold weather) is what keeps me in Australia. I am a weather refugee. I can't bear the cold, hate English winters, and complain lots when it gets cold here! I put up with the occasional scorchers because you only get a couple a year, and our next house will have air conditioning (and a plunge pool!!!!)
Old Jan 17th 2006, 8:16 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

The importance of weather never ceases to amaze me.
Weather, hot or cold is just a convenience or inconvenience yet it always tends to end up as being a very important matter.
When you go and get your hair cut and you dont know the person cutting your hair the immediate topic of conversation is the weather.
Please folks, life is more than the weather
Try focusing your life on experiencing things despite the weather. I cant think of too many bad times I have had due to weather, either from the -35c in Canada, or the +48c Ive seen in Australia.
To those that whinge about heat/cold I want to say that you would never survive if a catastrophe occurred, you are just too weak minded
Old Jan 17th 2006, 8:31 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath
Weather, hot or cold is just a convenience or inconvenience yet it always tends to end up as being a very important matter.
When you go and get your hair cut and you dont know the person cutting your hair the immediate topic of conversation is the weather.
Try focusing your life on experiencing things despite the weather. I cant think of too many bad times I have had due to weather, either from the -35c in Canada, or the +48c Ive seen in Australia.
To those that whinge about heat/cold I want to say that you would never survive if a catastrophe occurred, you are just too weak minded
Not weak minded - poor circulation means that for me, cold weather is painful.
Old Jan 17th 2006, 8:35 am
Banned

Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chels
Not weak minded - poor circulation means that for me, cold weather is painful.
Its all in your mind. The cold will kill you but only if you let it. You may lose a toe, finger or other limb but not your life if you truly have a desire to live... The weak die..........
Old Jan 17th 2006, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

Melbourne gets about 5-6 days a year when it is really hot and difficult to sleep at night without a/c. A lot of rental property is without a/c.

Mosquitoes are not a problem but flies are fairly agressive and want to get into any open crevice (ears/nose/mouth/etc).

Think about winters as well, properties in Melbourne tend to have ducted heating so blow warm air. You do need something at night in the winter.
Old Jan 17th 2006, 8:56 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by ossigeno
Mosquitoes are not a problem but flies are fairly agressive and want to get into any open crevice (ears/nose/mouth/etc).
That just made me realise how nice mosquitoes are

I'll stick with the mozzies rather than flies like that any day

Old Jan 17th 2006, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

MrsMangle will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ossigeno
Melbourne gets about 5-6 days a year when it is really hot and difficult to sleep at night without a/c. A lot of rental property is without a/c.

Think about winters as well, properties in Melbourne tend to have ducted heating so blow warm air. You do need something at night in the winter.
Couldn't agree more..
Weather in Melbourne wasn't as great as I thought it would be (though no doubt its an improvement on UK weather!) If I had to choose between heating and air con, I would pick heating!
Don't get too carried away with average temps as in Melbourne the wind can make a huge difference to how warm it feels- the North wind being HOT!
Melbourne is probably a good choice if the heat bothers you, because we don't get too many unpleasantly hot or humid days and when we do, we don't get lots in a row...its usually followed by a cooler period!
Old Jan 17th 2006, 9:07 am
Account Closed

fishface is an unknown quantity at this point

We moved to QLD in sept so the summer just slowly crept up on us, a few really hot days that seemed a bit sweaty, but you get them in the UK summer too.
As the cooler weather came april time we found that all of us especially kids were putting on fleeces first thing in the morning as 18-22 degrees felt chilly. since being back in the UK this winter can't seem to get warm. so in my humble opinion, I think you will get used to the weather, your body adapts!!
Old Jan 17th 2006, 8:10 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

I think he just wanted some advice, and I wouldn't say he was 'whinging' at all. It wouldn't be a very good experience to come to all the way to Oz, only to find out that you are totally not able to cope in the heat.

I'm sure I would be a bit p'd off if it happened to me, after all I'd been through to get there....
Old Jan 17th 2006, 8:12 pm

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

What a utter load of twaddle some people type!

Not mentioning any names
Old Jan 17th 2006, 8:14 pm

Its all in your mind. The cold will kill you but only if you let it. You may lose a toe, finger or other limb but not your life if you truly have a desire to live... The weak die..........
You obviously don't know much about the circulatory system them
Old Jan 17th 2006, 8:44 pm
A horse walks into a bar.

russmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond repute

We'll it's nice to see caveman alive and well in Luke.

Luckily there shouldn't be a major catastrophe for many people regarding hot/cold weather when they get to Oz, people adjust.

Higher north, more humid it is to the extent you are still damp after you have dried yourself off after a shower. Melbourne will probably suit you, 4 seasons in one day as the saying goes. For me the heat of Sydney suits best. I also like the very dry arid heat of the Northern Terrotary though the flies were a pain in the arse, like they are in a lot of places in Oz.
Old Jan 17th 2006, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by russmcp
We'll it's nice to see caveman alive and well in Luke.

Luckily there shouldn't be a major catastrophe for many people regarding hot/cold weather when they get to Oz, people adjust.

The problem I have with a young baby is the heat can be dangerous for them and I worry about him getting dehydrated. For most people I guess the heat is just an inconvenience but for others it can cause real health concerns.

Katie
Old Jan 17th 2006, 10:05 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Tiawamutu
You obviously don't know much about the circulatory system them
If faced with the real posibility of freezing to death I think I may come through it having completed several survival courses during my flight training, including sleeping in the rough, no tents, sleeping bags etc. In eastern canada in winter. Had to drink the dirtiest water you could ever imagine, black bog water, smelled and tasted like shi*.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.