British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Will I be able to stand the HOT weather? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/will-i-able-stand-hot-weather-348782/)

martinw01908 Jan 17th 2006 12:06 am

Will I be able to stand the HOT weather?

I'm after finding out how hot the summer will be in Australia. And which bit to head to as some bits are hotter than others. (I don't like it too hot) And yes I have googled! It looks like Melbourne has an average high of 26C in Jan and Feb, which doesn't sound too hot for me. But thats an average, so how hot does it actually get in practice?

I don't like the heatwaves that we have in the UK nowadays where it hits 28-33C in the summer for a month or so. Its not the temp outside thats the problem, its sleeping inside and working in it. The UK isn't geared up for hot weather. Not many places have aircon. Whereas I imagine Aus is very well prepared.

The other issue is mozzies. Where is Aus are there less of them about ? - because I get bitten like mad if I go to Spain etc Hate them,

It might sound like Aus is not the place for me to live, if you think thats the case please say! Because thats what I am trying to do - decide about going. Any help gratefully recieved.

TruBrit Jan 17th 2006 12:22 am

Re: Will I be able to stand the HOT weather?

Originally Posted by martinw01908
I'm after finding out how hot the summer will be in Australia. And which bit to head to as some bits are hotter than others. (I don't like it too hot) And yes I have googled! It looks like Melbourne has an average high of 26C in Jan and Feb, which doesn't sound too hot for me. But thats an average, so how hot does it actually get in practice?

I don't like the heatwaves that we have in the UK nowadays where it hits 28-33C in the summer for a month or so. Its not the temp outside thats the problem, its sleeping inside and working in it. The UK isn't geared up for hot weather. Not many places have aircon. Whereas I imagine Aus is very well prepared.

The other issue is mozzies. Where is Aus are there less of them about ? - because I get bitten like mad if I go to Spain etc Hate them,

It might sound like Aus is not the place for me to live, if you think thats the case please say! Because thats what I am trying to do - decide about going. Any help gratefully recieved.

lol so typical of a Brit....the whole post, nothing wrong with it just so typical..lol I could imagine you in a pub having a good old moan about the British weather...a few hot days and whewww...too much. Seriously hope you make a wise decision to go to Aus...dunno about down under but here you are right we do (well lots do not)..have the luxury of a/c making sleeping better, but then there's all that blowing..lol as for mozzies...as they say everything's bigger in Texas including the mozzies but nowt for you to worry about coz you arn't coming to TX...good luck and cheers

Tiawamutu Jan 17th 2006 12:23 am

Originally Posted by martinw01908

Where in Aus do you want to go, as the various areas can be quite different. Melbourne has been known to be compared to UK for the type of weather they have.

It can get very hot in certain parts of OZ. My friend just came back from Adelaide, and it was 48 degrees C.

It also depends on how humid it is. UK tends to be humid, and so get very clammy weather, which is not pleasant.

In my opinion, it can be hot, but if the humidity is low, it seems to be more bearable. Hope this helps a bit.

Here is a comparison of all the average temperatures in Oz, for you to have a look at:

Maximum Temperatures:

http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/climat...month&area=aus

Minimum Temperatures:

http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/climat...month&area=aus

Sye Jan 17th 2006 1:26 am

Hiya

If you cant put up with flies in Spain... then you'll struggle here...God Ive never seen anything like it :eek:

Karen

ABCDiamond Jan 17th 2006 1:32 am

Originally Posted by Sye
Hiya

If you cant put up with flies in Spain... then you'll struggle here...God Ive never seen anything like it :eek:

Karen

Very few flies here. Mozzies are a pain at times though.

And for the heat...
The following shows the number of days hitting the high and the low temperatures for Cleveland Brisbane Bayside in 2005.

Highs
1 Day at max 37°C : 30-Dec-05
7 Days at 34°C
10 Days at 33°C
30 Days at 32°C
14 Days at 31°C
19 Days at 30°C

Lows
2 Days at Min 8°C : 25-Jun-05 and 14-Aug-05
1 Day at Min 9°C : 18-Jul-05
8 Days at Min 10°C
13 Days at Min 11°C
20 Days at Min 12°C
17 Days at Min 13°C

Sye Jan 17th 2006 1:37 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Very few flies here. Mozzies are a pain at times though.

God,

I wish I could say that...Im in Adelaide & its bloody awful!

Karen

Neil S Jan 17th 2006 1:39 am

New Years Eve got to 40C here and New Years Day got to 45C in Sydney I hear, but it's not as bad as it sounds because you get used to the warm weather. 20C actually feels quite cool to me now. Its been quite cool since NYE where we have only had 2 days over 25C so far. They say that Feb is the hottest month in Melbourne.

ABCDiamond Jan 17th 2006 1:43 am

Originally Posted by Sye
God,

I wish I could say that...Im in Adelaide & its bloody awful!

Karen

Do you get all those flies that like to sit on your face down there ? I would hate that !

I read that they do that in the drier areas, as they are looking for liquid to drink, ie: the sweat of your face. The wetter areas don't have as much of a problem.

chels Jan 17th 2006 1:57 am

Originally Posted by Neil S
New Years Eve got to 40C here and New Years Day got to 45C in Sydney I hear, but it's not as bad as it sounds because you get used to the warm weather. 20C actually feels quite cool to me now. Its been quite cool since NYE where we have only had 2 days over 25C so far. They say that Feb is the hottest month in Melbourne.

It was as bad as it sounds if you don't have air conditioning / a pool / if you live in an older property which wasn't built to keep cool. I sat under patches of shade in my garden with my feet in a bowl of cold water, trying to cool down. Night time was worse, there was no cool air coming in through the windows, had to have a noisy fan on all night to try and get air circulating, it was like a furnace. Only relief was knowing it wasn't set to last long. You do get used to warm weather, but usually the temps drop in the evening - plus I'm usually at work during the day / in my car and enjoying the benefits of air-conditioning.

At the moment in Sydney it's very humid, which is unusual apparently. The sky is grey. It keeps raining. It feels like home, just muggier.

But most days are bearable (in the mid to high 20s) as long as you don't do anything too active during the midday hours like a marathon.

Flies were bad this year (in Sydney and in Adelaide, where we spent christmas), apparently the rain and warm temperatures are ideal conditions for them. Mozzies suck (literally!) but I find putting on insect repellent every evening does the trick.

Jimclevs Jan 17th 2006 2:19 am

Originally Posted by chels
It was as bad as it sounds if you don't have air conditioning / a pool / if you live in an older property which wasn't built to keep cool. I sat under patches of shade in my garden with my feet in a bowl of cold water, trying to cool down. Night time was worse, there was no cool air coming in through the windows, had to have a noisy fan on all night to try and get air circulating, it was like a furnace. Only relief was knowing it wasn't set to last long. You do get used to warm weather, but usually the temps drop in the evening - plus I'm usually at work during the day / in my car and enjoying the benefits of air-conditioning.

At the moment in Sydney it's very humid, which is unusual apparently. The sky is grey. It keeps raining. It feels like home, just muggier.

But most days are bearable (in the mid to high 20s) as long as you don't do anything too active during the midday hours like a marathon.

Flies were bad this year (in Sydney and in Adelaide, where we spent christmas), apparently the rain and warm temperatures are ideal conditions for them. Mozzies suck (literally!) but I find putting on insect repellent every evening does the trick.

Hi

You're right - the humidity this past week or two has not been pleasant!!:( I am told by my neighbours that it is very unusual for January and has had something to do with the extreme heat that there has been at times for the last month.

Actually its more to do with the wind coming in off the sea from an easterly direction, as well as the heat! Better that than a gale off the desert with the hair dryer temperatures of New Years Day :scared:

From my experience, February and into March is the more usual humid period here.

But hey......... its gotta be better than an English winter.

Jim

ShozInOz Jan 17th 2006 2:34 am

Originally Posted by Jimclevs
Hi

You're right - the humidity this past week or two has not been pleasant!!:( I am told by my neighbours that it is very unusual for January and has had something to do with the extreme heat that there has been at times for the last month.

Actually its more to do with the wind coming in off the sea from an easterly direction, as well as the heat! Better that than a gale off the desert with the hair dryer temperatures of New Years Day :scared:

From my experience, February and into March is the more usual humid period here.

But hey......... its gotta be better than an English winter.

Jim

Well, it depends on what you cope with best. The summer here is, for me, more disabling than the English winter (especially with a baby/child). The flies start at the start of November to January, intense heat December to February, and the humidity lasts until March. Over the holiday period we hardly got outside because of the heat. In wet or cold weather, one just needs more clothes. More or less clothes here don't help (too hot versus burnt). My ideal would be six months of Sydney weather (March-May, Aug-Oct) and six of UK weather (May-October) in one -year.

Bella Donna Jan 17th 2006 3:43 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Do you get all those flies that like to sit on your face down there ? I would hate that !

I read that they do that in the drier areas, as they are looking for liquid to drink, ie: the sweat of your face. The wetter areas don't have as much of a problem.

Yes, we've got plenty of those this year. We've had loads of flies since it started getting warm and they annoy the hell out of me. As it's got hotter, they seem more hell bent on getting up your nose and in your ears. When dh walked the dog yesterday morning he said they (he and the dog) were covered in the damned things. I've been told they actually like to feed on your secretions so I guess sweat is part of the menu too. :( However, at least you can shut them out - I imagine it's harder to keep the mossies out and a mossie bite is far worse than being walked over by a fly. I do go nuts when flies get around food though, so we avoid eating outside when they're around.

We're up to about 30°C today and it's not too bad. Having said that, there is a decent breeze (usually is around this area) and we have a cool house with stone floors and high ceilings. And air con. I doubt I could stand it if we didn't because I'm a definite heat hater. It was my one reservation about coming here. We went up to 39°C weekend before last, and I was surprised at how relatively comfortable I was. Yes, it was hot, but it was bearable. And I used to wilt at 30°C in the UK.

But I suspect it will get a lot hotter yet... :scared:

Sue

Jimclevs Jan 17th 2006 4:16 am

Originally Posted by ShozInOz
Well, it depends on what you cope with best. The summer here is, for me, more disabling than the English winter (especially with a baby/child). The flies start at the start of November to January, intense heat December to February, and the humidity lasts until March. Over the holiday period we hardly got outside because of the heat. In wet or cold weather, one just needs more clothes. More or less clothes here don't help (too hot versus burnt). My ideal would be six months of Sydney weather (March-May, Aug-Oct) and six of UK weather (May-October) in one -year.

I do sympathise with you - especially if you have a baby to cope with in conditions that are not suitable to you.

Stupid question, perhaps, but do you have the option of moving to, and working in, a more temperate climate - Melbourne for example?

Anywhere on the East coast has this humidity problem, to varying degrees, but maybe not so much on the South coast.

Flies are flies wherever in Australia - they will still be here long after us humans have gone!!

Jim

ShozInOz Jan 17th 2006 4:26 am

Originally Posted by Jimclevs
I do sympathise with you - especially if you have a baby to cope with in conditions that are not suitable to you.

Stupid question, perhaps, but do you have the option of moving to, and working in, a more temperate climate - Melbourne for example?

Anywhere on the East coast has this humidity problem, to varying degrees, but maybe not so much on the South coast.

Flies are flies wherever in Australia - they will still be here long after us humans have gone!!

Jim

I have the option but because of my career I would only have one option wrt workplaces. We've been here over 2 years now and are returning to the UK (south coast). Overall, we like Australia but prefer the UK in terms of career, access to Europe, landscape, friends, family, etc. I can tolerate cool weather better than hot/humid weather. I do like blue skies though, but one can't have everything. We think Australia is OK, but not for us forever. If we ever returned (we're citizens), Melbourne would be the only place we'd consider, though.

Jimclevs Jan 17th 2006 4:42 am

Originally Posted by ShozInOz
I have the option but because of my career I would only have one option wrt workplaces. We've been here over 2 years now and are returning to the UK (south coast). Overall, we like Australia but prefer the UK in terms of career, access to Europe, landscape, friends, family, etc. I can tolerate cool weather better than hot/humid weather. I do like blue skies though, but one can't have everything. We think Australia is OK, but not for us forever. If we ever returned (we're citizens), Melbourne would be the only place we'd consider, though.

Yes - this country is not suited for everyone. At least you have given it a fair crack and can weigh up the pros and cons before deciding the move back to UK is for you.

Good luck to you back on the (English) south coast.

Jim