Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Will he require any addidtional licences - Maintainence Fitter

Will he require any addidtional licences - Maintainence Fitter

Old Mar 26th 2007, 6:36 am
BE Enthusiast

sheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to all
Default Will he require any addidtional licences - Maintainence Fitter

I've just been reading a few threads where people are unable to secure positions even though they have passed there TRA and have had to go back to being an apprentice.

My OH is an apprenticed trained Fitter with over 20years experience in engineering, does anyone know if he'll have to sit additional tests/exams when we get over in August?

cheers in advance for any info....

Shelley
Old Mar 26th 2007, 6:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will he require any addidtional licences - Maintainence Fitter

Originally Posted by sheli0508
I've just been reading a few threads where people are unable to secure positions even though they have passed there TRA and have had to go back to being an apprentice.

My OH is an apprenticed trained Fitter with over 20years experience in engineering, does anyone know if he'll have to sit additional tests/exams when we get over in August?

Shelley

Is he a Mechanical Fitter?

This job description: http://jobguide.thegoodguides.com.au...TOKEN=50085047

If so, then no he doesn't need any licences.

If he's an electrical fitter then he will.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 6:41 am
BE Enthusiast

sheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to all

He's a mechanical fitter Wendy...

Thanks for the info at least that's one weight of my mind...... no excuses for a prolonged holiday for him then...lol....only joking.....

Shelley
Old Mar 26th 2007, 6:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

He's a mechanical fitter Wendy...

Thanks for the info at least that's one weight of my mind...... no excuses for a prolonged holiday for him then...lol....only joking.....

Shelley

Aye, get him out there as soon as you can, after all you need to start your new life the way you mean to go on. That's him working and you spending
Old Mar 26th 2007, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wendy
Aye, get him out there as soon as you can, after all you need to start your new life the way you mean to go on. That's him working and you spending
Couldn't have put it better myself.... afterall we've 3 under 8... I need to be at home providing stability with daily jaunts to the beach.... it's gonna be a killer but I'll have to leep at it....LOL

Shame I can't up the school starting age......

thanks again,

Shelley
Old Mar 26th 2007, 9:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Couldn't have put it better myself.... afterall we've 3 under 8... I need to be at home providing stability with daily jaunts to the beach.... it's gonna be a killer but I'll have to leep at it....LOL

Shame I can't up the school starting age......

thanks again,

Shelley

Get him working that much he won't know if they start school at 6 or 16
Old Mar 26th 2007, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wendy
Get him working that much he won't know if they start school at 6 or 16
good idea... or I could try the fly in/fly out approach.... cuts down on a lot of other things too......
Old Mar 26th 2007, 9:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

good idea... or I could try the fly in/fly out approach.... cuts down on a lot of other things too......
I keep trying to convince my hubby that'd be a great job.

Sadly, he's not listening
Old Mar 26th 2007, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

The S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to behold

Shelley
I am a Maintenance fitter in brisbanes south and as Wendy says your oh will not need any kind of licence. In fact I have a great big folder with all of my quals in and not 1 person has ever asked to see them.
Be prepared though for crap wages, somewhere around $60k for a 45 hour week:curse:
If he works in the mines he can earn good money but its not just a case of turning up and they give you a job.
Because of the decent money they can pick and choose.
My mate who I worked with in the uk is up in mackay and he earns $130k plus a car for 5 days on 5 days off rotation. He only lives a couple of hours away from the mine so he stays at the site but drives home at the end of his 5 day rotation...

Best off luck....lots of work here though....

Sean
Old Mar 26th 2007, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Keep trying Wendy...

Sean thanks for the info.... if your know of anyone that's interested I can arrange to send them his CV and references....

Old Mar 26th 2007, 7:50 pm
Just Joined

wheeliein2minds is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by The S's
I am a Maintenance fitter in brisbanes south and as Wendy says your oh will not need any kind of licence. In fact I have a great big folder with all of my quals in and not 1 person has ever asked to see them.
Be prepared though for crap wages, somewhere around $60k for a 45 hour week:curse:
If he works in the mines he can earn good money but its not just a case of turning up and they give you a job.
Because of the decent money they can pick and choose.
My mate who I worked with in the uk is up in mackay and he earns $130k plus a car for 5 days on 5 days off rotation. He only lives a couple of hours away from the mine so he stays at the site but drives home at the end of his 5 day rotation...

Best off luck....lots of work here though....

Sean
At last-another mech maint fitter!
You're right, money not brill but is $60k for days or shifts? And what about the amount of vacancies for MMF,will I have plenty to choose from? I'm due out Oct.
Many thanks.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 8:18 pm
Ping-ponging Pom

dave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of light

This thread has given me some good news then.... I was under the impression I'd have to get a licence as well. Top banana then!

We're heading to Brissie as well, but not until end of January next year. Been looking on a fair few job sites and the pay is around what I'm on here (£25k), so if I can get a job earning that I'll be pretty chuffed to honest.

Tick tock to January.....
Old Mar 26th 2007, 8:34 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave7370
This thread has given me some good news then.... I was under the impression I'd have to get a licence as well. Top banana then!

We're heading to Brissie as well, but not until end of January next year. Been looking on a fair few job sites and the pay is around what I'm on here (£25k), so if I can get a job earning that I'll be pretty chuffed to honest.

Tick tock to January.....
same here ..i'd settle for $60,000 big time in Melbourne