Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

will the grass be greener in oz?

will the grass be greener in oz?

Old Aug 28th 2002, 9:39 pm
Just Joined

uknurse is an unknown quantity at this point
Question will the grass be greener in oz?

i have been thinking about emigrating to Oz for a while now. usual reasons, just fed up with the weather here , working in the NHS and ever rising house prices etc. i have been reading alot of the posts here and doing quite a bit of homework and it seems that the migration process is very long winded and stressful. is it really worth it i ask mtself.
my concers: my husband is self employed here (painter and decorator) and i worry about him finding work and what the pay will be. i am a nurse so i'm not worried about finding work for myself. my son is nearly 14 and i don't know how easily he will transfer schools as they take their exams at a different age in Oz. is it best for him to finish studying here and go to college or uni and then move out there or take his exams there and study in Oz. he wants to be involved in sport eg. pe teacher or sports coach etc. in fact he currently plays for charlton athletic youth squad and this is another concern as he has the ability to become a professional if he's lucky, but that will all be squashed if we move.
i know i seem to be very negative and it may seem that i am trying to talk myself out of it but i'm not really. i'm just trying to be realistic. i know that moving to any new place is difficult and there are always hurdles along the way and i don't expect it to be a bed of roses. i just want what will be best for us all in the long term.
the thing is that if we sell up and buy a property in Oz the chances are that we will not be able to afford to move back because of the ever rising property prices here. we do not want to rent our house here and then rent out in Oz as then we will feel that we havn't really got anywhere we can really call home, its just not the same.
my husband and son are all for it and so am i but i am the practicle one. i am the one that is worring about the future and if we are doing the right thing.
i was just about ready to start filling in visa forms etc and planning to go to oz for a month next year. should we save our time and money or should we just go for it?
Old Aug 28th 2002, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

ywoods is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: will the grass be greener in oz?

Hiya Nursey

Basically it is a case of is the grass greener. It boils down to what you want out of life. This forum is great as you have some people who are really down on Aus and most that are all gagging to get out there, so you are able to weigh it up and see if that is what you want. You only have one life and as per usual... you are a long time dead. Personally I say go for it.. my son is 15 and this could be make or break but both of us have spoke about it and he is thinking on the positive side of things

Only you can make your choice in life......

Yvonne

17 days til we leave, 19 til we arrive. WATCH OUT MELBOURNE

Originally posted by uknurse:
i have been thinking about emigrating to Oz for a while now. usual reasons, just fed up with the weather here , working in the NHS and ever rising house prices etc. i have been reading alot of the posts here and doing quite a bit of homework and it seems that the migration process is very long winded and stressful. is it really worth it i ask mtself.
my concers: my husband is self employed here (painter and decorator) and i worry about him finding work and what the pay will be. i am a nurse so i'm not worried about finding work for myself. my son is nearly 14 and i don't know how easily he will transfer schools as they take their exams at a different age in Oz. is it best for him to finish studying here and go to college or uni and then move out there or take his exams there and study in Oz. he wants to be involved in sport eg. pe teacher or sports coach etc. in fact he currently plays for charlton athletic youth squad and this is another concern as he has the ability to become a professional if he's lucky, but that will all be squashed if we move.
i know i seem to be very negative and it may seem that i am trying to talk myself out of it but i'm not really. i'm just trying to be realistic. i know that moving to any new place is difficult and there are always hurdles along the way and i don't expect it to be a bed of roses. i just want what will be best for us all in the long term.
the thing is that if we sell up and buy a property in Oz the chances are that we will not be able to afford to move back because of the ever rising property prices here. we do not want to rent our house here and then rent out in Oz as then we will feel that we havn't really got anywhere we can really call home, its just not the same.
my husband and son are all for it and so am i but i am the practicle one. i am the one that is worring about the future and if we are doing the right thing.
i was just about ready to start filling in visa forms etc and planning to go to oz for a month next year. should we save our time and money or should we just go for it?
Old Aug 28th 2002, 9:54 pm
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute

hi,

I am also a nurse form the uk. please feel free to email me privately if you like.

You only get one shot at life...go for it , as another contributor said the other day 'oh go on you know you wanna'...

I too felt like you 7 yrs ago and here we are now actually applying again. we didnt complete the whole process last time because i chickened out....god i wish i hadnt.

I have 3 kids 17, 13 and 9. it will be very differnet i know for them but they too are looking forward to the chance of a lifetime

I think you can talk yourself into and out of anything if you keep looking at the negative aspects, try to think of the positive aspects of your move. if your son is into sport, my god he'll have a field day over in oz.
I think your hubby shouldnt have too much trouble getting work in his occupation and hell who knows he may wanna change direction and do anything that comes his way. im sure we will if we cant get work in our designated occupations.

I dont know if youre aware but nurse are being fast tracked which means possibly that your visa could be processed in 3-4 months, (well thats what it said on our acknowledgement)
so you could be ready to go by next yr anyway. im sure that people on this ng would advise you to go though for a look around if at all unsure. those ive spoken to said that as soon as they got there they knew it was just the place they wanted to live

i'll stop now because you will get many more replies. in the end you have to listen / read what people put but you will draw your own conclusions

good luck anyway

sorry if it seems like a :lecture:
Old Aug 28th 2002, 10:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

micky will become famous soon enoughmicky will become famous soon enough

Hi Selina, hope I got your name right.
I'm a nurse too, and my hubby is a Painter and Decorator to trade.
(just recently started with the fire brigade).
When we migrate though, he will will be painting & decorating.
I've got 4 kids - my eldest is soon 14 like your son.
my email is

[email protected]

Please email me if you want to exchange worries & concerns re 'doing the right thing'.
Shona xx - remember me - we chatted on live chat the other night
Old Aug 29th 2002, 7:00 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE]Originally posted by uknurse:

I've no idea about your age but helps if you are in your 30s or younger is it easier to settle and change.
My wife is a nurse also and public hospitals here are no better that UK some are worse same problems not enough beds to few nurses and to many managers.Lack of funding and over worked nurses same crap shifts as UK on top of that you will only get 2 weeks sick pay a year , lots of back injuries here to , because of lifting.
If you want pay scales try Australian award wages site , a lot of nursing jobs here go on length of service reguarding grade and pay.
Your sons education does matter , we left ours to finish off his in UK at Uni , we had problems then trying to get him out took over a year by which time he desided jobs back in UK where better for him and would not come here.
Hubby will get at lest $2000 a week if he goes sub contact also will avoid tax with right accountant so no hassel there.
The only question you should ask is are you running away from something , or do you need to have a life change , family and friends will not be replaced here and you will miss them.
Best of luck .
Old Aug 31st 2002, 10:49 pm
Just Joined

uknurse is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks to all he replied to my message but it appears that the points system may have made my mind up for me. i only have 110 points even when i add on the extra 5 points for occupation in demand because i don't have a minimum of 12 months experience as i have only just qualified as a nurse . if i wait another year to get this 12 months experience i will loose five points on my age as i will be 35 not 34. what a bummer!!!!!! i'm going to ring high commission just to check this out but i don't think there is much hope.
Old Aug 31st 2002, 11:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

thanks to all he replied to my message but it appears that the points system may have made my mind up for me. i only have 110 points even when i add on the extra 5 points for occupation in demand because i don't have a minimum of 12 months experience as i have only just qualified as a nurse . if i wait another year to get this 12 months experience i will loose five points on my age as i will be 35 not 34. what a bummer!!!!!! i'm going to ring high commission just to check this out but i don't think there is much hope.
Old Aug 31st 2002, 11:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE]Originally posted by micky:
[get husbands skills assesset should give extra 5 points/QUOTE]
Old Sep 1st 2002, 9:39 am
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute

you could get out there on an employer nominated visa i think, or do you still have to have 12 months experience for that too??hmmphh not sure about that.....but if you get 6 months experience in oz you qualify for a further 5 points, then with hubbies...no prob cos u can apply for pr from within oz...an employer nominated visa is valid for 4 yrs i think...im sure jaj or alan collett would be able to advise you on this...dont give up
Old Sep 1st 2002, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

Grotbags is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: will the grass be greener in oz?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by pommie bastard:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by uknurse:

Hubby will get at lest $2000 a week if he goes sub contact also will avoid tax with right accountant so no hassel there.

Hi PB

Is $2000 average earnings for a painter & decorator, as i'm
a floor & wall tiler and wondered if it would be roughly the same?
Old Sep 2nd 2002, 12:22 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Stevebecks:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by pommie bastard:

Hi PB

Is $2000 average earnings for a painter & decorator, as i'm
a floor & wall tiler and wondered if it would be roughly the same?
Tilers charge between $15-$25 per square mitre so how fast are you?.There is more work here than there is people to do it ,any one in building trade makes a great living nearly all on sub contract self employed.Good luck you could work 7 days a week if you want it.