Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Will it ever happen?

Will it ever happen?

Old May 25th 2018, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will it ever happen?

You are getting negative responses because your situation fits a (common) profile of tyre-kickers who come onto this Forum, and the posters here have witnessed people who fit that profile come here and step into the same bear traps over and over and over again. They are not "being negative." They are warning you.

The combination of reluctant spouse + "outdoor lifestyle" (a very empty cliche) motivation for coming here is a bad one and a huge red flag. Yeah sure "you're different."

Why don't you get a Skills Assessment to prove if you can even do this? PR visas have five-year travel facilities, plenty of time for a proposed 2020 timeframe. If you're serious.
Old May 25th 2018, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

J___Mcewan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Marty4
As I says before, all I was looking for was families in a similar situation and how thing's worked out. For some reason - maybe through bitterness that it hasn't worked out - I'm getting
"Don't come here"
"You won't like it"
"it's too hot"
"You won't have an outdoors lifestyle"

If every experience was the same then Oz would be a lonely place I'm sure...

I appreciate that people may come on here and their motivation is, weather, big house, pool, big bbq etc. etc. That isn't me.

As for not researching, are you basing the "two a penny" on all accountants, as the profession covers a lot. It's like saying "don't come to Britain there’s no accountant jobs, does that go for the whole of Scotland, England, Ireland, Wales? Does that go for all finance jobs, management accountants, financial controllers etc.?? If I narrowed it down to a specific city then maybe they are “two a penny”, however if you are meaning Australia in its entirety then that statement isn’t accurate.

I wouldn't dare drag my family over if we weren't 100% so we'll wait until 2020 and give it a lot more thought, taking into account the relevant responses on this forum.

As for the heat, I lived in Dubai for a bit and experienced the heat all year round. I have family who live in Perth & Sydney. They originate from Scotland and cope just fine.

If you have more of an outdoors lifestyle I applaud you. I've lived in Glasgow 36 years and can guarantee that there would be no comparison.

Can I ask why Glasgow?

Would you still have come if you were told,

"It's too wet"
" We get 170 days of wet weather each year"
" it's one of the top 10 most dangerous cities in Europe"
"There's nothing to do"
"You're stuck in the house a lot due to the weather"

Or would you rather experience it for yourself? No experience is ever the same for one person or family. If everyone followed advice based on others, these countries would be ghost towns.
In a similar situation and I would say 100% go for it it. The thought of living and dying in Glasgow/ UK is really depressing.
Old May 26th 2018, 4:57 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marty4
As I says before, all I was looking for was families in a similar situation and how thing's worked out. For some reason - maybe through bitterness that it hasn't worked out - I'm getting
"Don't come here"
"You won't like it"
"it's too hot"
"You won't have an outdoors lifestyle".....

Or would you rather experience it for yourself? No experience is ever the same for one person or family. If everyone followed advice based on others, these countries would be ghost towns.
If that's how you're reading the replies then I'm not sure anyone can help. No one has said don't come. You asked for stories from families in a similar situation. You got replies from people who have moved over and who have experienced life both here and in the UK. No one is going to have your situation, that's yours alone. We've all got families however so there is that similarity. I honestly don't know what you want to hear. I and others have said we're happy here but.... There is always a but, utopia doesn't exist and total piece of mind is also extremely hard to find.

If you're looking for 100% positivity and rainbows and unicorns, you've come to the wrong place. There are other forums around who don't tell you (general) the truth. They'll tell you to come, that getting work of a standard and salary range you're used to is easy, that getting back in an emergency is a piece of cake. We prefer, that when asked for advice in situations such as yours, we give the warts and all response. It's what I was told and I moved over with my eyes wide open to the problems we were going to face. Your family and friends in Sydney and Perth presumably know you well, what do they say?
Old May 26th 2018, 6:25 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

We never moved to Oz for the weather, big house or anything like. We moved by fluke. I was head hunted by an Oz company, which in many ways gives me, I think a good balance as I am not an Oz lover or hater. Oz was not even on my bucket list as a place to level visit, I had nothing against it, but it just wasn't on the radar in any way. Then when a job offer was made, we thought why not. We had both lived in different countries and my wife isn't even British by origin.

I am not saying don't do it, I am not saying you will hate it. What I am saying can be boiled down to two things.

1. I think your motivation for the move is dubious and not a reality of what Oz has to offer. It us another first world country with pluses and minuses. You will still go to work, clean the toilet, buy the groceries. Crime and things are about the same - the cities, like any city can have bad spots and serious crime.

2. I stand by, from what you originally posted, that your wife doesn't want to make the move and that pushing her into it is a recipie for disaster. I have been on the forums for a fir few years now and moderate two others. I have seen cases of a couple making the move, when one doesn't want to and the result is very rarely good. The result is often the diverse court and a big mess as it is much more complex in a migrating situation, particularly with children and is a regular very sad feature of the forums.
Old May 27th 2018, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Re-reading your initial post and the replies - I think what you are really asking us is "how can I convince my wife that we should move to Australia?"

Unfortunately for you, if she is talking about renovating the house, I doubt very much that she wants to do so for the sake of making it more attractive on the rental market. She sees your family living there long-term. Plus, that renovation money, is money you will need for a successful move to Australia.

I repeat my earlier advice about a Skills Assessment. For a chartered accountant it's $550 AUD (about 315 GBP). Keep in mind that due to high volume of applications, accountants are subject to pro-rata selection and the cut-off in the last round was 80 points, which is what you said the migration agent says you are at right now.

I assume that 80 points includes an IELTS result of 8.0 or higher for the 20 points. You also need to book that exam for both of you; it will cost a few hundred Pounds.

However- she will lose 5 points on her 33rd birthday, which will drop you to 75 points (presumably including IELTS) and therefore below the threshold for PR as an accountant under current conditions, which I don't think will change much by 2020.

I hope the migration agent explained all of this to you, because from my reading of the situation, it looks like to actually have a chance at PR, you will need to submit an EoI before your wife's 33rd birthday and you cannot do that without a completed positive skills assessment and official IELTS results. If you wait until 2020 you will no longer be eligible for visas. Considering these time considerations - arrangements for the skills assessment and IELTS need to be made immediately.

So it looks like it really is now or never from my reading. If she won't commit a few hundred Pounds and some hours of the time for the skills assessment and the IELTS - then she won't commit to the far greater expenses involved in the move.

If you do wait until 2020, heed my earlier advice about making sure you can actually get a visa, before you go around stirring up trouble and tension in your family over a move that looks like it may not be possible even if your wife changes her mind.

Last edited by carcajou; May 27th 2018 at 3:17 am.
Old May 27th 2018, 10:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy

2. I stand by, from what you originally posted, that your wife doesn't want to make the move and that pushing her into it is a recipie for disaster. I have been on the forums for a fir few years now and moderate two others. I have seen cases of a couple making the move, when one doesn't want to and the result is very rarely good. The result is often the diverse court and a big mess as it is much more complex in a migrating situation, particularly with children and is a regular very sad feature of the forums.
My wife didn't want to make the move. Now she's happy as Larry.
Old May 27th 2018, 12:19 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Paralysis by analysis
Old May 28th 2018, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

wonderingaloud is on a distinguished road

I agree the grass isn’t always greener- just a different shade.
We have been here 7 years and yes, we love it. I’m not going to rose tint it because we all have our different circumstances. For eg it was only my husband and I, we were young and naive and pretty much hit the jackpot with getting sponsored, good jobs, employer paid relocation costs, we applied PR when we thought ‘it was about time’ no urgency. We didn’t know how lucky we were.

Looking at how migration has changed I’m not 100% sure it’s the way to go. The cost, is massive for a family of 4, the visa and all the other elements that go with it medical, IELTS, skills assessments and then you’ve got flights, not to mention what you’ll need to rent initially, school fees (a lot more here) and savings to see you through for potentially months before you or your wife get a job. Remember, just because jobs are on the skills list doesn’t necessarily equate to a skills shortage from what I’m led to believe.
To gamble your savings on this even if you were all 100% up for the move, would be massive. The fact one of you has doubts jut compounds the issue, throw into the mix all the family stuff and it’s risky.
Ive forgotten how old you say your children are but that can be a huge strain re orientations to new schools and making new friends/leaving old ones behind.

Consider it carefully, you don’t want to convince your wife only to find she hates it/ it doesn’t work out and she blames you for everything.
Equally, it might be the best thing you ever do but unless your millionaires, it’s down to chance really.

To be honest your wife sounds like she is buying time and hoping you’ll get over your fad. I know, because I am playing this same trick with my husband who is hell bent on going back to the UK which I really don’t want to do! I’ve put him off for 2 years now...

I genuinely wish you all the best and hope things work out whether it’s here in oz or in the UK.
Both are wonderful places to live, but essentially life is what YOU make of it.

Old May 28th 2018, 8:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Paralysis by analysis
Its painful to watch.