Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Will customs allow my Sporran into OZ?

Will customs allow my Sporran into OZ?

Old Jul 26th 2010, 6:35 pm
Just Joined

snedd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Will customs allow my Sporran into OZ?

I am a Scot and looking to emigrate later this year to Brisbane. I am looking for information on weather I can bring in my Sporran and Sgian Dubhs (dress knife) in to the country. The Sporran is a traditional seal skin type.
I know that they are strict about animal fur, would be great to hear any experiences from others Scots out there, I am sure that they are plenty .
Old Jul 26th 2010, 7:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will customs allow my Sporran into OZ?

Originally Posted by snedd
I am a Scot and looking to emigrate later this year to Brisbane. I am looking for information on weather I can bring in my Sporran and Sgian Dubhs (dress knife) in to the country. The Sporran is a traditional seal skin type.
I know that they are strict about animal fur, would be great to hear any experiences from others Scots out there, I am sure that they are plenty .
My partner is Scottish and we've never had an issue taking his full kilt and accessories to Australia. You can take your accessories in your suitcase so you're not taking onboard. You don't have to take a real sgian dubh, there are very good replica sgian dubhs with the knife replaced by plastic.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 3:07 am
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

We can picture the scene: You, the wife and kids arriving at Brisbane Airport some glorious blue-sky day, dressed in kilts and woolly sweaters with tartan caps over your wild red hair "och aye"ing and swearing all the way up to immigration with a "What yoo mean I cannae tek me sporrran in ye daft ***?"
Old Jul 27th 2010, 4:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold

You shouldn't have any problems. I've taken mine through customs / quarantine a few times.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

gunn1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck with the move... and if you find any local ceilidhs, let us know