Wildlife NZ

Old Dec 15th 2003, 10:49 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

I thought exactly the same that it looks like a big grasshopper and Im not bothered by them ... dont like the sound of them biting though :scared:
Old Dec 15th 2003, 3:08 pm
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

dunno, I don't mind grasshopper falling on my head.... but I would mind a Weta.....

check these out....

http://masseynews.massey.ac.nz/magaz..._creatures.htm
Old Dec 15th 2003, 4:10 pm
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

:scared: :scared: :scared:
Old Dec 15th 2003, 7:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jandjuk
dunno, I don't mind grasshopper falling on my head.... but I would mind a Weta.....

check these out....

The Weta on the computor desk has what looks like a stinging tail, I looked this up on the Internet and in fact these are the females and the tail is where they lay thier eggs from.

I came face to face with a Weta and it lifted its barbed rear legs in the air, as if to scare me off. It worked!

Robert
Old Dec 15th 2003, 7:57 pm
Kiwified member

My hubby, who thinks he is really funny, says never mind the wetas you should watch out for the driers

Apparently there are three varieties, the spin, the tumble, and the hair

Yep, and I chose to live with him so the joke is definitely on me.
Old Dec 16th 2003, 3:04 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by DaisyNZ
Don, we must take a trip down there, I'd love to see all those things. Is it hot down there yet?
Don't get me started on the weather!!! On Saturday we took a spin out to Alexandra and I now understand why Central Otago, NZ is doing so well in the international pinot noir stakes. Temperatures swung steadily up from 16 degrees to 33 degrees in Alexandra (and the landscape got more and more parched, ie this was not a one off). Then it swung steadily back to 16 degrees as we headed back to my Dunedin sanctuary.

Enough to say Dunedin is green and pleasant right now - and you don't get green without a bit of rain. But sunbathing weather is upon us and I have a good tan developing. The Otago Peninsula is definitely worth a visit to do the 'big 5' - fur seals, se lions, little blue and yellow-eyed penguins, royal albatrosses.
Old Jan 20th 2004, 8:08 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Don,

Have a couple of more places to visit for you.

Long Beach (way past Port Chalmers on the back way through to Waitati) is supposed to be pretty amazing, and i would think has some YEPs.

Also, Curio Bay down south Catlins is known for having very friendly Hectors dolphins, that have been known to swim with kids.
Old Jan 20th 2004, 8:18 pm
JoB
Off to middle earth

JoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to all

Originally posted by Pollster
My hubby, who thinks he is really funny, says never mind the wetas you should watch out for the driers

Apparently there are three varieties, the spin, the tumble, and the hair

Yep, and I chose to live with him so the joke is definitely on me.

Pollster

I am sitting here laughing my head off at your hubby's jokes. Definately my kinda humour. Will have to give you a shout when we get to NZ. Not be for a while yet though.

Keep those jokes coming.

Jo
Old Jan 20th 2004, 8:21 pm
Kiwified member

Originally posted by JoB
Pollster

I am sitting here laughing my head off at your hubby's jokes. Definately my kinda humour. Will have to give you a shout when we get to NZ. Not be for a while yet though.

Keep those jokes coming.

Jo

You have made his week!!

Where are you headed and possibly when?
Old Jan 20th 2004, 8:28 pm
Don
Banned

Originally posted by southerner
Don,

Have a couple of more places to visit for you.

Long Beach (way past Port Chalmers on the back way through to Waitati) is supposed to be pretty amazing, and i would think has some YEPs.

Also, Curio Bay down south Catlins is known for having very friendly Hectors dolphins, that have been known to swim with kids.
Cheers, S. Given them both a try already but keep the suggestions flowing!

Do you and Mrs S fancy a YEP spotting trip? We could go with the kids, there's a great place near where we live that we could go to in tandem but your clan could jump in the badass 4WD to go down a track that would be inadvisable in your mean machine. We'd be looking at 17.45-21.00, better make it soon as they start moulting soon so you don't see as many.
Old Jan 20th 2004, 8:50 pm
Kiwified member

A what spotting trip?
Old Jan 20th 2004, 8:52 pm
Don
Banned

A what spotting trip?
Yellow Eyed Penguin. Second largest of the penguins but one of the rarest. They live in small colonies near where I live (and at Banks Peninsula).

We know some 'secret' places to see loads of them every time!
Old Jan 20th 2004, 9:05 pm
Kiwified member

Hey - a trip down to your neck of the woods is a definate when we get there - you are close to the Otage Pennisula aren't you - all that wildlife!!

Love to get close to the Hector's dolphins again - swam with them in Akaroa but the seas was a bit mountainous and bloody freezing so I didn't actually get to see much of the dolphins!
Old Jan 21st 2004, 5:01 pm
JoB
Off to middle earth

JoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to all

You have made his week!!

Where are you headed and possibly when?
Pollster,

We are looking probably at Tauranga or Auckland. Tauranaga because my husbands brother and his family live there and it's always better for settling etc to have family around.

Auckland for the job situation. Although I really like the look of Christchurch and would love to give that a go.

We will only be applying at the end of this year and Ian has got some exams which will make him High Voltage authorised, so he can organise work for engineers in large sub stations etc etc blah blah. all very boring. But if it increases his pay packet then I am not complaining.

I am not sure whether I will want to work straight away as I have 2 young kids. But then again I am dangerous when I am bored so may look for something part time. I am currently a sales manager with BT.

I won't have the grandparent network to help out with kids so dashing across the country will be out as is what I do know.

How about you? You've now had my life story...

Cheers Joanne