Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The wildlife in my garden (arachnophobics proceed with caution!)

The wildlife in my garden (arachnophobics proceed with caution!)

Old May 9th 2005, 6:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute
Default The wildlife in my garden (arachnophobics proceed with caution!)

Here are some creatures I managed to capture on digital camera while out in the garden. Bearing in mind that I had many nightmares about seeing spiders and snakes before moving to this country, you do in fact get used to it. I would probably scream as much as the next person if something actually landed on me, but if you can approach the wildlife calmly and without showing fear, then chances are it will scurry away without doing you any harm. The pictures show a bobtail lizard (commonly seen in Aussie backyards), a racerback lizard, dugite snake (venonmous), huntsman spider (scarey but not venomous) and a mouse spider (venomous). Generally the dogs spot the creature first and draw our attention to it by barking.
Attached Thumbnails The wildlife in my garden (arachnophobics proceed with caution!)-bobtail.jpg   The wildlife in my garden (arachnophobics proceed with caution!)-snake.jpg   The wildlife in my garden (arachnophobics proceed with caution!)-racerback-lizard.jpg   The wildlife in my garden (arachnophobics proceed with caution!)-hunstman.jpg   The wildlife in my garden (arachnophobics proceed with caution!)-mouse-spider.jpg  

Last edited by Jacqui; May 9th 2005 at 7:57 am.
Old May 9th 2005, 6:19 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The wildlife in my garden (arachnophobics proceed with caution!)

Originally Posted by Jacqui
Here are some creatures I managed to capture on digital camera while out in the garden. Bearing in mind that I had many nightmares about seeing spiders and snakes before moving to this country, you do in fact get used to it. I would probably scream as much as the next person if something actually landed on me, but if you can approach the wildlife calmly and without showing fear, then chances are it will scurry away without doing you any harm. The pictures show a bobtail lizard (commonly seen in Aussie backyards), a racerback lizard, dugite snake (venonmous), huntsman spider (scarey but not venomous) and a mouse spider (venomous). Generally the dogs spot the creature first and draw our attention to it by barking.

Where
Old May 9th 2005, 6:22 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

OMG! You had a Mouse spider!
Aren't those huge!?!

I was hoping they weren't in WA.... :scared:

If you can't upload your pics on here, try the photopost section, and then link to them in here(you can put larger ones on photopost)

Old May 9th 2005, 8:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry internet line dropped off before I could get the pics uploaded! Click on the thumbnail to see the creatures better. On the huntsman picture, there is a snail to the bottom left, to give you an idea of size.

Now here is a picture of some nice creatures, my two Beagles!

In the background is our ride-on mower, so if you get a big garden in Oz, you get to ride on one of these, boys!
Attached Thumbnails The wildlife in my garden (arachnophobics proceed with caution!)-dogs-mower.jpg  
Old May 9th 2005, 9:28 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry internet line dropped off before I could get the pics uploaded! Click on the thumbnail to see the creatures better. On the huntsman picture, there is a snail to the bottom left, to give you an idea of size.

Now here is a picture of some nice creatures, my two Beagles!

In the background is our ride-on mower, so if you get a big garden in Oz, you get to ride on one of these, boys!
I don't know why I am asking, cos I'm not sure I want the answer, but why are they called Mouse Spider's? where do they tend to hang out? and how big are they in inches? (without an enlarged photo please )
Old May 9th 2005, 9:32 am
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I don't know why I am asking, cos I'm not sure I want the answer, but why are they called Mouse Spider's? where do they tend to hang out? and how big are they in inches? (without an enlarged photo please )
Hi moneypen

Did a quick search and found this:

http://www.amonline.net.au/factsheets/mouse_spider.htm

Frightened the bejesus out of me!!!

D D
Old May 9th 2005, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute

I think the lizards are quite cute,but the spiders......omg that mouse spider makes my skin crawl.....and thanks for the link dd....i think :scared: :scared:

tracey :scared:
Old May 9th 2005, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

achish is on a distinguished road

I have found the one eyed snake to be the most dangerous of them all.
Old May 9th 2005, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

leedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by achish

lol is that the one eyed spitting trouser snake?
Old May 9th 2005, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

achish is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by leedslad
lol is that the one eyed spitting trouser snake?
Yeah...that's the one. :scared:
Old May 9th 2005, 6:47 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Great pics Jacqui, you're a pretty accomplished photographer!

I love these kinds of beasties, so I'm looking forward to getting them in my backyard!

I love the pic of the mouse spider. Very pretty!
Old May 9th 2005, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

moomin has a spectacular aura aboutmoomin has a spectacular aura aboutmoomin has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by achish

absolutely, i have been biten here in the uk!!!!!!!!!

i am not at all happy about these mouse spiders, who do i need to speak to in order to get them removed from the country before my arrival?
Old May 9th 2005, 7:15 pm
jude

judeyoga will become famous soon enoughjudeyoga will become famous soon enough

Am horrified horrified by the mouse spider - just how venomous are they? We are thinking about moving to Mandurah - any words of wisdom? (other than avoid mouse spiders!) Thought Halls head looked nice.

Jude
Old May 9th 2005, 8:04 pm
aussie73

Originally Posted by judeyoga
Am horrified horrified by the mouse spider - just how venomous are they? We are thinking about moving to Mandurah - any words of wisdom? (other than avoid mouse spiders!) Thought Halls head looked nice.

Jude
Looks like the house borders bush land or is somewhere semi-rural , perhaps if people want to advoid such nasty creatures they could live somewhere more suburban in Perth. But as someone said before they will only bite you in self defence if you pick them up or attack them, they are probably more affraid of us as we are much larger then them. Its unlikely you will ever be bitten and if you were very few people who are die these days because of anti-venom.
l think l read as many people are killed a year in OZ by dog and dingo attacks as by venomous snakes and spiders around 2 or 3 people.

Last edited by aussie73; May 9th 2005 at 8:09 pm.

Old May 9th 2005, 9:43 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DollyDaydream
Hi moneypen

Did a quick search and found this:

http://www.amonline.net.au/factsheets/mouse_spider.htm

Frightened the bejesus out of me!!!

D D
***** me they're ugly :scared: Yeah like I am going to go within 1 mile of that - how bl**dy stupid do I look - answers on a postcard please

Looks like I will be having my entire garden paved. If they can't burrow, they can go and live somewhere else. My eldest would die if she saw that. Ignorance (sometimes) is bliss.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.