Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Wii (another one!). Will UK Wii games work on an Oz console?

Wii (another one!). Will UK Wii games work on an Oz console?

Old Oct 28th 2008, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

ozrocks is just really niceozrocks is just really niceozrocks is just really niceozrocks is just really niceozrocks is just really niceozrocks is just really niceozrocks is just really niceozrocks is just really nice
Default Wii (another one!). Will UK Wii games work on an Oz console?

Hi

I have a Wii questions (I have trawled the forum and can't find teh answer to this one). I suspect the answer is yes but need to know for sure.

Will UK Wii games work on an Oz console? (We are buying a console when we get to Oz and a friend in the UK has bought a UK Star Wars game (complete with Lightsabres) and need to know if it will work before they post it over for Christmas.

Also, where is the best place to buy a console in Sydney? Is there a Game/Gamestation equivalent that I can reserve one at (just in case there is another Christmas rush).

Thanks.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 10:54 pm
Forum Regular

divaboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Wii (another one!). Will UK Wii games work on an Oz console?

Near 100% certain that uk WII games are compatible with Oz and vice versa
Old Oct 28th 2008, 11:10 pm
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozrocks
Hi

I have a Wii questions (I have trawled the forum and can't find teh answer to this one). I suspect the answer is yes but need to know for sure.

Will UK Wii games work on an Oz console? (We are buying a console when we get to Oz and a friend in the UK has bought a UK Star Wars game (complete with Lightsabres) and need to know if it will work before they post it over for Christmas.

Also, where is the best place to buy a console in Sydney? Is there a Game/Gamestation equivalent that I can reserve one at (just in case there is another Christmas rush).

Thanks.

Hi - yes it will. I have UK Wii games on my Oz Wii and have no probs.
They both use the PAL system (USA & Japan use NTSC which is not compatible) so you will have no worries.

As far as buying in Sydney I would check out both Toys-r-us or JB Hifi for good pricing.

Steve
Old Oct 29th 2008, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, games bought in Europe work.
We have a wii, and brough the console and games. Have bough Oz games and son often takes them to friends house (Australian wii).

We had games from UK and other European city, and they work too.

Gems
Old Oct 29th 2008, 12:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevemich
They both use the PAL system (USA & Japan use NTSC which is not compatible) so you will have no worries.

As far as buying in Sydney I would check out both Toys-r-us or JB Hifi for good pricing.

Steve
Would this also be the same for xbox 360 as eldest is begging for one for Christmas?
Old Oct 29th 2008, 12:58 am
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light

We have Game & EB Game stores here too. Also check out places like Big W, K-Mart & Target.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 1:19 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Your DVD collection is a bigger worry, when it comes to the times that you want to change your player, and if you bring a British player you might not be able to play Australian DVDs.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 1:34 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Burbage
Your DVD collection is a bigger worry, when it comes to the times that you want to change your player, and if you bring a British player you might not be able to play Australian DVDs.
You just need to buy a region free dvd player, or get one that can be unlocked with a code on the internet.

We brought all of our dvd's from Canada (which is region 1 and in NTSC). We bought a cheap region free dvd player and can watch Canadian, American & Ozzie dvd's no problem.

So I don't really think the dvd's are a concern.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 1:36 am
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burbage

VERY unlikely. Most DVD players are multi-region these days and many that are not still play region 2 or 4...
Even if not you can pick up multi-region players in oz for as little as $30 - so do not lose sleep over it!
Old Oct 29th 2008, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

ozrocks is just really niceozrocks is just really niceozrocks is just really niceozrocks is just really niceozrocks is just really niceozrocks is just really niceozrocks is just really niceozrocks is just really nice

Originally Posted by stevemich

Steve
Great - thanks everyone who responded. It is nice to know that their Christmas present will work :-)

Ta, M