Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Wife's not sure now

Wikiposts

Wife's not sure now

Old Nov 28th 2005, 5:55 am
BE Enthusiast

BobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Wife's not sure now

Originally Posted by ROBnCAZ
On one hand we have more Porsche drivers than any other part of the UK
....a good reason in itself, in my opinion, to want to get away from there

I find it quite hilarious that an increasingly large proportion of the UK's population now judge their self-worth or status (or perceive others to view their status) on the marque or size of their vehicle.

(Literally) within 'spitting' distance of me is a town called Wilmslow, who's claim to fame is that it tends to be an extremely popular place to live for Manchester United, Manchester City, and Liverpool footballers as well as 'famous' actors from successful Northern soaps. It also has the dubious honour of being home to the Beckhams prior to Divvy David's move to Real Madrid. Wilmslow also reportedly has more millionaires per square mile outside of London so as you can imagine, Porches, Bentleys and Mercs are ubiquitous

What cracks me up is that Joe Public, who lives within one of Wilmslow's less affluent areas, bizarrely feels that his life is inferior to those of his neighbours, so in attempt to 'justify his existence' he goes out and enters into a HP agreement on some poor-mans Range Rover and is now zooming around town (as they do) in his mauve coloured Citroen Xsara Picasso deluding himself that his life is now complete and how jealous his neighbours will be of his 'new status'

This is typical of a nation of materalistic, snobby tw*ts that the UK is fastly becoming.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 6:15 am

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road

Yoo hoo everybody. Can we all remember that the OP was discussing his wife's uncertainty about moving. I feel as if the poor man has been abondoned.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 6:17 am
BE Enthusiast

BobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Anne4Terry
Yoo hoo everybody. Can we all remember that the OP was discussing his wife's uncertainty about moving. I feel as if the poor man has been abondoned.
She might feel differently after reading some of the above posts
Old Nov 28th 2005, 7:03 am
now just Shaun...

Shaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant future

Good luck, I hope it goes OK, my girlfriend is unsure now too, after we have sent the forms off and waiting for a CO (the long wait is making her think twice).
Hope she comes around.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 7:26 am
Banned

Breezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Shaun&Dee
Good luck, I hope it goes OK, my girlfriend is unsure now too, after we have sent the forms off and waiting for a CO (the long wait is making her think twice).
Hope she comes around.

I suppose one thing that must be pointed out-As an Aussie born and bred, I am about as critical of the place as any born Australian I have ever met.
And all I can muster up is that it isnt THAT great-and I prefer the UK personally.
Logic tells me that there must be something to a place where you can't find one person born there to fault the place, and that statistic is closer to the truth than you might care to believe.
So if you rough it through at the very least there is almost a 100% chance of your kids loving the place they are from(even if they leave it)
Old Nov 28th 2005, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

grahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to behold

TO ALL
This is our first posting and we are in the process of applying for our visas to Oz and we can't wait. We have never visited before but have some friends out there who have sent us lots of information. After reading many comments on this thread we have the following to say:-
You've heard the old saying "life is to short" and we are not here on a practice run. If you have an ambition GO FOR IT and if it goes wrong you have only got yourself to blame. On the other hand if you work with a positive attitude you can make it work and make your dreams come true, because everybody has a dream regardless of your bank balance and with the help and support of your family you can live your dream.
What you have got to remember is that there is always somebody less fortunate than yourself and so long as you have happiness you have got a very good start.
Forest Gump had it right "Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get".
So if you have a dream make sure that you give it your all before it is too late and you sit back and say "I wish we had done this years ago".
Good luck to each and everyone of you no matter what you decide and hope
all your dreams come true.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 8:05 am

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Hi all.

It's strangely coincidental that so many postings concerning immigration blues and the desire to return to the UK coincide with our recent validation trip to Sydney and my wife's growing anxieties and indecision about emmigrating next summer.

Before the romantic notion became reality and we were issued with our 136 visas, my wife was 100% about moving to Australia.

With each new phase that re-inforces the reality of what we are doing (the validation trip being the most recent) my wife is growing increasingly doubtful about actually going through with it next year and moving for good. This is really depressing me as since we returned to the UK last week I have never been surer about going through with the move. Compounding the issue now is a mother-in-law, her grandmother and now her sister saying things like "Don't go, I'll really miss you", "When your Uncle moved to Australia it nearly killed me and there's not a day that goes by when I don't think about him" and "Mum is putting on a brave face coz inside it's killing her", respectively.

It is interesting to see however that the grass may appear greener but is not necessarily so. My personal opinion is that culture-shock can heavily suppress thoughts and sentiments regarding the original reasons behind the original decision. I spoke to a few people when we were in Sydney who emigrated from the UK in the late 70's and early 80's and they all said the same thing. The first few years and months are like a period of mourning and the desire to return to their comfort zones and familarities in the UK can be unrelentingly overwhelming. However, their practical advice was to see it through because once you emerge from the haze of confusion and apparent unhappines it becomes obvious why you moved in the first place. Bottom line is the long-term investment is definitely worth it.

I think that I am lucky enough to have the foresight to realise that the first few months and perhaps years will be an unsettling time and that we will both, more than likely, feel like returning to the UK at some point or another but that this would be sheer folly, given the time, money and effort invested in getting out to Australia in the first place (not to mention original reasons).

What I really need now is for my wife to be able to appreciate these facts from my perspective. She want's to go but the reality really scares her. We also have a 7 month baby boy (who incidentally slept all the way from LHR to HKG and then HKG to SYD and did the same on the way back - and all this without the use of choloroform) who I personally think would be far better off living in Australia than in the UK. Whatever people's comments on comparing the behaviour of children and adolescents in Australia with those in the UK, lest we forget that the UK spawned the acronym A.S.B.O. for a good reason.
Haven't read all through this thread, but to be honest I feel the same............................................pe rhaps it's a woman thing.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 8:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ROBnCAZ

I once heard a story about an Aussie cab driver. The guy gets in the back and the cabbie refuses to budge an inch til he got in the front. Apparently, sitting in the back was saying, 'I'm better than you' and was just not acceptable! Don't know how old this tale is though.
Come on you cant be serious, australia 2005 the cabbies only concern is his own safety, if he wanted the punter in the front he was probably worried about being stabbed in the back of the neck with a needle for his takings!

Australia is not a classless society thats out of date too, try being a black fella and go into one of the posh gated communities.

Suburbs and schools are clearly divided by income, status and snobbery. Very consumer orientated too, my boat/TV/pool is bigger than yours.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 8:15 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich

Suburbs and schools are clearly divided by income, status and snobbery. Very consumer orientated too, my boat/TV/pool is bigger than yours.
That was the point I was trying to make.

I don't know why anyone imagines it is otherwise.

G
Old Nov 28th 2005, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

OzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Margaret2
Haven't read all through this thread, but to be honest I feel the same............................................pe rhaps it's a woman thing.
Didn't want to be the first to say it but me too!! It drives my hubby mad! I'm still going though - don't want to sit here for the rest of my life thinking 'what if?'
Old Nov 28th 2005, 8:22 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Wife's not sure now

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Australia is not a classless society thats out of date too, try being a black fella and go into one of the posh gated communities.

That's just raw capitalist snobbery; it has nothing to do with "class" distinctions.

Oh, and try being a regular white bloke and go into one of the posh gated communities; you'll still need a pile of cash to live there - and if you haven't got it, you'll be out on your ear.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 8:27 am

merlotsmum is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BobbyDazzler
....a good reason in itself, in my opinion, to want to get away from there

I find it quite hilarious that an increasingly large proportion of the UK's population now judge their self-worth or status (or perceive others to view their status) on the marque or size of their vehicle.

(Literally) within 'spitting' distance of me is a town called Wilmslow, who's claim to fame is that it tends to be an extremely popular place to live for Manchester United, Manchester City, and Liverpool footballers as well as 'famous' actors from successful Northern soaps. It also has the dubious honour of being home to the Beckhams prior to Divvy David's move to Real Madrid. Wilmslow also reportedly has more millionaires per square mile outside of London so as you can imagine, Porches, Bentleys and Mercs are ubiquitous

What cracks me up is that Joe Public, who lives within one of Wilmslow's less affluent areas, bizarrely feels that his life is inferior to those of his neighbours, so in attempt to 'justify his existence' he goes out and enters into a HP agreement on some poor-mans Range Rover and is now zooming around town (as they do) in his mauve coloured Citroen Xsara Picasso deluding himself that his life is now complete and how jealous his neighbours will be of his 'new status'

This is typical of a nation of materalistic, snobby tw*ts that the UK is fastly becoming.
Spot on, this is not to say when I lived with Oz it wasn't full of the same, just a little more casual and relaxed.

For example, in Oz you could buy an item of clothing and generally wear it the full season.

What I have noticed since the return to UK 18 months ago is you buy an item of clothing, wear it to go out of an evening (or to work) by the following week you can no longer get it in that shop, something else has replaced it and you look naff.

I have found this one of the downsides of the UK You just have to see them week on week queuing in grid lock traffic at Retail Parks, usually with brain dumbed kids.

For Gawds sakes people, go for a walk to the country or a museum or something
Old Nov 28th 2005, 8:28 am

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by merlotsmum
Spot on, this is not to say when I lived with Oz it wasn't full of the same, just a little more casual and relaxed.

For example, in Oz you could buy an item of clothing and generally wear it the full season.

What I have noticed since the return to UK 18 months ago is you buy an item of clothing, wear it to go out of an evening (or to work) by the following week you can no longer get it in that shop, something else has replaced it and you look naff.

I have found this one of the downsides of the UK You just have to see them week on week queuing in grid lock traffic at Retail Parks, usually with brain dumbed kids.

For Gawds sakes people, go for a walk to the country or a museum or something
Just thought this was so true and so funny
Old Nov 28th 2005, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by grahampaula
TO ALL
This is our first posting and we are in the process of applying for our visas to Oz and we can't wait. We have never visited before but have some friends out there who have sent us lots of information. After reading many comments on this thread we have the following to say:-
You've heard the old saying "life is to short" and we are not here on a practice run. If you have an ambition GO FOR IT and if it goes wrong you have only got yourself to blame. On the other hand if you work with a positive attitude you can make it work and make your dreams come true, because everybody has a dream regardless of your bank balance and with the help and support of your family you can live your dream.
What you have got to remember is that there is always somebody less fortunate than yourself and so long as you have happiness you have got a very good start.
Forest Gump had it right "Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get".
So if you have a dream make sure that you give it your all before it is too late and you sit back and say "I wish we had done this years ago".
Good luck to each and everyone of you no matter what you decide and hope
all your dreams come true.

Honestly, don't mean to be negative or anything, but I think this is how most people start out on the process feeling, but welcome to the rollarcoaster of emotions
Old Nov 28th 2005, 8:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret2

The woman thing probably comes down to family, like the OP his wife has a 7 month old baby, forget the OZ wont have the same problems cause it will, and it comes down to how much a womans family mean to her once she has kids. Many women just want their kids to have an extended family nowt wrong with that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.