Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Wife's not sure now

Wikiposts

Wife's not sure now

Old Nov 28th 2005, 5:19 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Wife's not sure now

Originally Posted by Grayling
The notion that Australia is a classless society is a myth.

There is just as much snobbery there as anywhere else. This is most obvious whenever you discuss things such a best areas to live, schools etc. with Australians.

G

Wouldn't you agree though thats its more of a classless society than the UK. I certainly feel Melbourne is.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 5:22 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ROBnCAZ
I don't claim to be an expert on this, but feel that this is something that has maybe, slowly started to happen in recent years!

Could it have something to do with the influx of Brits and their fat pockets stuffed full of house sale cash from the UK?
You may well have a point.

You only have to look at some of the debates on here when people start discussing suburbs etc.

G
Old Nov 28th 2005, 5:25 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy
Wouldn't you agree though thats its more of a classless society than the UK. I certainly feel Melbourne is.
Not in my (limited) experience.

I was in Port Lincoln in SA last week.

There are more millionaires as a proportion of the population in Port Lincoln than any other part of Australia.

And they just love to pose (and have flash cars etc.)

Most of them are Tuna farmers/fishermen made good.

G
Old Nov 28th 2005, 5:28 am
Banned

Breezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to all

Oh, I seriously dount it to be very honest!
I take it you never ventured South of Marks & Spencers on your last visit to Guildford? Never have I come across a city so divided by class as Guildford! On one hand we have more Porsche drivers than any other part of the UK, on the other, a plethora of 'stinking' council estates that seem to breed ill minded folk. Believe me, we were unfortunate enough upon moving here (had no idea) to rent a flat on the outskirts of one. 6 Months in, we wre driven out by bricks through the window for 'daring' to call the police to drug dealing imbeciles in our 'private' car park!
Guildford - truly charming?
I am seeing your perspective. Most Australians are respectable. Outside the worst suburbs. But most are clearly of non-respectable backgrounds.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 5:34 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Its all the Ex Pats around my area that are classless, Hevs & Hup, Johanne, Jaykay, Woodyinoz. Not a bit of class amongst them.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 5:35 am
Banned

Breezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to all

Oh, don't worry, our gentrification stretches about as far as Caz' law degree and membership of The Law Society!
Would optimistically place ourselves in the respectable middle class bracket at present. We expect this to drop to respectable working class upon arrival in Oz, but fully intend to claw our way back up to middle class asap!

No, in all seriousness.....we are actually quite looking forward to living in a society were class is something you attend at school! Working class roots? Great! We can cuss with the best of em!
See, this where it gets complicated. A Lawyer in Oz would be classed as Outright Gentry and would be out of place in most suburbs.
Its not within the scope of such a forum to really explain the subtle differences between the two places.
Heres a try....
Most Aussies ARE those Housing estate types come good in the lucky country-they have the nice houses, neat clothes-but their roots come shining through-and a Lawyer would see it immediately in aplace like Perth after a time and start feeling alienated.
The Australian Gentry(if such a thing exists) are deadpan middle-class Brits come good.
No-one in Oz (almost no-one, that is) is from the chattering classes.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 5:35 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by Bordy
Its all the Ex Pats around my area that are classless, Hevs & Hup, Johanne, Jaykay, Woodyinoz. Not a bit of class amongst them.
So I've heard

Must avoid that area

G
Old Nov 28th 2005, 5:38 am
Banned

The notion that Australia is a classless society is a myth.

There is just as much snobbery there as anywhere else. This is most obvious whenever you discuss things such a best areas to live, schools etc. with Australians.

G

YOu must be nuts to think that there is as much snobbery in OZ as the UK-there simply isnt.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 5:41 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by Breezey
YOu must be nuts to think that there is as much snobbery in OZ as the UK-there simply isnt.
I must be nuts then.

G
Old Nov 28th 2005, 5:46 am
Banned

I don't claim to be an expert on this, but feel that this is something that has maybe, slowly started to happen in recent years!

Could it have something to do with the influx of Brits and their fat pockets stuffed full of house sale cash from the UK?

I once heard a story about an Aussie cab driver. The guy gets in the back and the cabbie refuses to budge an inch til he got in the front. Apparently, sitting in the back was saying, 'I'm better than you' and was just not acceptable! Don't know how old this tale is though.
I dont think Oz is that great and the UK that bad-they are both damn good though.
But if class distinction is the thing you dislike-go to Oz.
Sydney has two classes-those with money and those without.
Working class roots are a point of pride, Hardly any White-Australians are actually working class nowadays.
The intelligentsia down under are all rabid egalitarians-many who would have done better in Europe but will proudly tell you they would rather live in a classless society.
Oz isnt classless, its as close to it as you will find.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 5:47 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Wife's not sure now

I must be nuts then.

G
It's not beyond the realms of possibility.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 5:48 am
Banned

I must be nuts then.

G
Seriously, even the Liberal Party heavies are all of lower-middle class background.
Anyone who makes money in Oz is accepted.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 5:48 am
Bitter and twisted

Oz isnt classless, its as close to it as you will find.
That is one opinion.

G
Old Nov 28th 2005, 5:50 am
Banned

That is one opinion.

G
Look I aint denying they worship money there-but not class.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 5:51 am
Bitter and twisted

Anyone who makes money in Oz is accepted.
But then they are very quick to distance themselve from the less well off.

Go walk round Norwood in Adelaide or similar areas in other cities.

Classless....my arse.

G

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.