Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Wife's not sure now

Wikiposts

Wife's not sure now

Old Nov 28th 2005, 4:44 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Wife's not sure now

Originally Posted by Breezey
The power of self-delusion, going from Guilford to Perth for a better life. Guilford a truly charming, cultured, town to Redneck-central Perth where kids sniff glue for fun and are bored sh-tless.
You will be back!
(1) Perth isn't "redneck central."

(2) "Guildford" is also the name of a beautiful little Federation-era suburb in Western Australia (about 25 minutes from Perth) which is known for its gentility and style.

Old Nov 28th 2005, 4:45 am
Account Closed

ROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really nice
Default Re: Wife's not sure now

The power of self-delusion, going from Guilford to Perth for a better life. Guilford a truly charming, cultured, town to Redneck-central Perth where kids sniff glue for fun and are bored sh-tless.
You will be back!
Oh, I seriously dount it to be very honest!
I take it you never ventured South of Marks & Spencers on your last visit to Guildford? Never have I come across a city so divided by class as Guildford! On one hand we have more Porsche drivers than any other part of the UK, on the other, a plethora of 'stinking' council estates that seem to breed ill minded folk. Believe me, we were unfortunate enough upon moving here (had no idea) to rent a flat on the outskirts of one. 6 Months in, we wre driven out by bricks through the window for 'daring' to call the police to drug dealing imbeciles in our 'private' car park!
Guildford - truly charming?
Old Nov 28th 2005, 4:45 am
Account Closed

Guest0424 is an unknown quantity at this point

[i know im going to get slated for saying this but we found people in perth very freindly and the kids seem to be more innocent than we find hanging around the typical northern city council estate(sheffield).Pushing a pram at 15 and dam pround to be doing it .I have a 9 year old daughter and a 7year old son oz is far from perfect but its better than the things i see daily
Old Nov 28th 2005, 4:47 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ROBnCAZ
Oh, just had a thought that may also aid your ultimate decision; 1 in 5 teenage girls in the UK is now self harming. A 1/3rd have comtemplated suicide.
A recent Australian study concluded that the self harm rates in both countries were about the same:

http://www.mja.com.au/public/issues/...l10634_fm.html

G
Old Nov 28th 2005, 4:50 am
Account Closed

ROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really nice

Originally Posted by pom plumber
[i know im going to get slated for saying this but we found people in perth very freindly and the kids seem to be more innocent than we find hanging around the typical northern city council estate(sheffield).Pushing a pram at 15 and dam pround to be doing it .I have a 9 year old daughter and a 7year old son oz is far from perfect but its better than the things i see daily
Whenever I meet an Aussie in the UK, I am amazed at there willingness to smile, say hi and ask you 'how you are'.....this from travelling, skint youngsters generally, those with not much to really be happy about!
When was the last time a British barman smiled at you, said hi and asked you how you were (and meant it)?

That is the kind of child I would like to breed, not an aggressive, scowling wretch........funnily enough, just like most British kids!
Old Nov 28th 2005, 4:50 am
BE Enthusiast

LesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to all

Originally Posted by pom plumber
I know what you mean, I see plenty of that around my area too.

Lesleym

ps.hope things are going well with you and your application.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 4:51 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Grayling
A recent Australian study concluded that the self harm rates in both countries were about the same:

http://www.mja.com.au/public/issues/...l10634_fm.html

G
Thanx Grayling.......

I secretly knew someone was out there Googling away to prove me wrong!

Suffice, I think I made a point all the same!
Old Nov 28th 2005, 4:52 am
Account Closed

Guest0424 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LesleyM
I know what you mean, I see plenty of that around my area too.

Lesleym

ps.hope things are going well with you and your application.
thanks lesley great nite friday could still feel it saturday
Old Nov 28th 2005, 4:54 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Thanx Grayling.......

I secretly knew someone was out there Googling away to prove me wrong!
Not Google.

I happen to work as a therapist with people who self harm.

G
Old Nov 28th 2005, 4:57 am
Account Closed

Not Google.

I happen to work as a therapist with people who self harm.

G
Corrected I stand!

Old Nov 28th 2005, 4:58 am
Banned

Breezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to all

I take it you never ventured South of Marks & Spencers on your last visit to Guildford? Never have I come across a city so divided by class as Guildford! On one hand we have more Porsche drivers than any other part of the UK, on the other, a plethora of 'stinking' council estates that seem to breed ill minded folk. Believe me, we were unfortunate enough upon moving here (had no idea) to rent a flat on the outskirts of one. 6 Months in, we wre driven out by bricks through the window for 'daring' to call the police to drug dealing imbeciles in our 'private' car park!
I must say that would be a very very unpleasant experience. We live on a new development, quite classy, but bordering on a few council estates. Bit of a worry.
One thing that I laugh at, is all those that complain about asylum seekers etc-and ignore the home-grown absolute human waste that is spawning on UK council estates. Such trash I never ever saw-illiterate, rough, stupid, paranoid, festering in their own sh-t, Lazy sponging trash. And yes-i think inducments to not have kids are in the order.
This is why its a bit hard to talk about the Uk versus Oz-the socio-economics are different.
The UK has the extremes-a glut of very educated posh types on one hand and such trash like you never saw in Oz on the other.
Oz seems to consist of respectable working-class and middle class, but almost all Australians have working class roots and it shows.
If you are 'posh' at all, much of Australia will come as a shock-Perth most included.
For genuinely gentrified types try Melbourne or Sydney.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 5:05 am
Account Closed

I must say that would be a very very unpleasant experience. We live on a new development, quite classy, but bordering on a few council estates. Bit of a worry.
One thing that I laugh at, is all those that complain about asylum seekers etc-and ignore the home-grown absolute human waste that is spawning on UK council estates. Such trash I never ever saw-illiterate, rough, stupid, paranoid, festering in their own sh-t, Lazy sponging trash. And yes-i think inducments to not have kids are in the order.
This is why its a bit hard to talk about the Uk versus Oz-the socio-economics are different.
The UK has the extremes-a glut of very educated posh types on one hand and such trash like you never saw in Oz on the other.
Oz seems to consist of respectable working-class and middle class, but almost all Australians have working class roots and it shows.
If you are 'posh' at all, much of Australia will come as a shock-Perth most included.
For genuinely gentrified types try Melbourne or Sydney.

Oh, don't worry, our gentrification stretches about as far as Caz' law degree and membership of The Law Society!
Would optimistically place ourselves in the respectable middle class bracket at present. We expect this to drop to respectable working class upon arrival in Oz, but fully intend to claw our way back up to middle class asap!

No, in all seriousness.....we are actually quite looking forward to living in a society were class is something you attend at school! Working class roots? Great! We can cuss with the best of em!
Old Nov 28th 2005, 5:07 am

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road

I couldn't agree with you more. I was brought up in Guildford in a modest house but went to a private school. At home everyone thought I was the snob because they all went to the local stater school, at school everyone thought I was common because I didn't live in a huge big house and have ponies in the back garden. I now live just 10 miles down the road in Farnham, Guildford's smaller, but equally class ridden, sister. It is exactly this snobbery and adversely unmoralistic behaviour that is driving us across the world.

Back to the OP. You wrote a very eloquent and sensitive post about both your's and your wife's feelings. Then at the end you mention your baby and everything fell into place. Your wife has just had her whole world and its priorities turned upside down. She is probably seeking the security of having her family around her while she finds her own feet in bringing up a baby. There is also the need for her to reinforce family links and also the worry of your children growing up without knowing their larger family. I think you are doing the right thing in wanting to provide a nicer place for you to bring your family up in, but I can see where your wife is coming from with having all the responsibility of a new baby. I can see a lot of talking and even more understanding from you is on the cards. Does your wife come on the forum? Try and get her to see that there is a support network on here and that there will be people out in Australia who will help you both to settle and that she won't be all on her own wondering what to do when your child first falls ill and mum isn't just round the corner to ask.

I wish you both the very best of luck.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 5:12 am
Bitter and twisted

The notion that Australia is a classless society is a myth.

There is just as much snobbery there as anywhere else. This is most obvious whenever you discuss things such a best areas to live, schools etc. with Australians.

G
Old Nov 28th 2005, 5:18 am
Account Closed

The notion that Australia is a classless society is a myth.

There is just as much snobbery there as anywhere else. This is most obvious whenever you discuss things such a best areas to live, schools etc. with Australians.

G
I don't claim to be an expert on this, but feel that this is something that has maybe, slowly started to happen in recent years!

Could it have something to do with the influx of Brits and their fat pockets stuffed full of house sale cash from the UK?

I once heard a story about an Aussie cab driver. The guy gets in the back and the cabbie refuses to budge an inch til he got in the front. Apparently, sitting in the back was saying, 'I'm better than you' and was just not acceptable! Don't know how old this tale is though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.