Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

wife won't move to NZ without mother!

wife won't move to NZ without mother!

Old Jan 18th 2004, 7:18 pm
Just Joined

gavbut is an unknown quantity at this point
Default wife won't move to NZ without mother!

Is there a clever way of getting parents into NZ, rather than wait out the 3 years of permanent residency? What is the most time they could spend in the country in that period? Help me please or I sahll have to forget my dream
Old Jan 18th 2004, 7:19 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: wife won't move to NZ without mother!

Originally posted by gavbut
Is there a clever way of getting parents into NZ, rather than wait out the 3 years of permanent residency? What is the most time they could spend in the country in that period? Help me please or I sahll have to forget my dream

this isnt going to be helpful to you, but when I read this out loud to my hubby he laughed and said he'd leave me here with her and go on his own!!!!!!

sorry.....couldnt resist!

sue
Old Jan 18th 2004, 8:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Divorce the wife, marry the MIL, then the wife becomes the dependant child
Old Jan 18th 2004, 8:08 pm
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dotty
Divorce the wife, marry the MIL, then the wife becomes the dependant child
LOVL
Old Jan 18th 2004, 8:13 pm
JoB
Off to middle earth

JoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to all

Gav,

I am in the same boat. But we will only be applying late this year, and who knows things could change again.
I would ring the NZIS and ask them what the procedure is. Re read the criteria as I am last time I read the family quota bit I couldn't find the 3 year rule, but read it the first time. But maybe thats just me and old age.

Best of luck

Jo
Old Jan 18th 2004, 8:37 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

There's no clever way to get round the rule. So she could stay (from memory) 9 months in NZ, 9 months away, then repeat ad nauseam.

And in my case that really would be nauseam.
Old Jan 18th 2004, 9:39 pm
Go Banana's !!

(This applies for Oz not sure about NZ)

Only if she is a dependant and part of the family unit i:e you pay for her housing, food, clothing and bills etc and she has to have no living family left in the UK if you went. We've looked into it.

Be careful though, even if you wait the 3 years until you are residents I think you have to prove that there will be more family in Oz than in the UK for extra points. It wouldn't be cut and dried that she would get in. Think she would have to have some money and be in reasonable health.

Sorry if this isn't what you wanted to hear. This sounds awful but my Mother said to me that she could be dead in ten years and we couldn't pass up an opportunity to live in OZ for her. She said she'd never live with herself if we didn't go because of her and she'd probably kill herself !!! (think she was joking ?), then we could go.

Our family do have a sick sense of humour - apologies.

Very best of luck.

Jill

Old Jan 18th 2004, 9:42 pm
Go Banana's !!

Help me please or I sahll have to forget my dream

PS. It has to be the dream for BOTH of you, otherwise you won't even get past the first fence.

Jill

Old Jan 18th 2004, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

DaisyNZ is on a distinguished road

I don't know about how long you have to wait, but my mother decided to live out here 2 years ago (independantly of me believe it or not, and not encouraged by me at the start, causes family problems with others left in UK, but nice now, esp for my kiddies). After working for a year or so her and my father (who isn't so bothered about being here LOL, so he travels to and fro to keep his lawns mowed in England in the summer - a true Englishman!!) decided to apply for residency. You probably know all this but you have to have half of your children in NZ (they only have 2 children, me NZ, brother UK) to be eligable to apply on family grounds. They had to have the health checks, not sure about the money bit, I think that was irrelevant but can't be sure. It was very quick and straightforward, we had to be sponsors though I think. But I've been here for years so I don't know about that waiting thing. If you'd have told me 10 yrs ago this would happen, I'd have laughed at you. Now it looks like we may go back and leave her here LOL.
Old Jan 18th 2004, 10:51 pm
Just Joined

gavbut is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks to everyone for the advice. Reading all the postings it seems family ties are a sticking point for most people, and you are right, this has to be a dream for both of us. Looks like its up to the Mrs to decide one way or another. What about business category? Is it difficult to apply this way. Can you apply with a B&B idea for example?