Wife is preggo

Old Feb 20th 2011, 11:17 am
Just Joined

zakatori has a brilliant futurezakatori has a brilliant futurezakatori has a brilliant futurezakatori has a brilliant futurezakatori has a brilliant futurezakatori has a brilliant future
Default Wife is preggo

hello
My wife and I are on PR (175) visas and migrated to sydney before six months. Good news is that she is pregnant and currently 6 weeks. We both have got medicare but no private health insurance. We are quite puzzled about the next steps as in which public hospitals to go for (any recommendations), how early should we register at a hospital, and what about midwives and what are their role in pregnancy system australia etc. Our GP did blood test for my wife and he is preparing some documents/referrals.

Also, heard about baby bonus and paid parental leave etc but not clear of what it is and how it works. Any benefits that we would need to know as a family? Any tips greatly welcomed as I need to plan everything smooth and safe for my darling and our baby...

She is doing part time job at the moment and have got some interviews lined-up this week for permanent roles. This will be our first baby and very exited about it

Thanks in advance

Cheers
Old Feb 20th 2011, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

Drell is just really niceDrell is just really niceDrell is just really niceDrell is just really niceDrell is just really niceDrell is just really niceDrell is just really niceDrell is just really nice
Default Re: Wife is preggo

Congratulations. I'm applying for our visa at the min so can't offer any info but I'm sure someone will have loads of advice and help in no time.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

Adriane is on a distinguished road

Hi, I had my baby at the Royal North Shore public and it was good. The midwives were great. I think you just phone the midwives clinic and book an appointment and they will lead you on everything and refer you to an OB if necessary.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 4:39 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zakatori
hello
My wife and I are on PR (175) visas and migrated to sydney before six months. Good news is that she is pregnant and currently 6 weeks. We both have got medicare but no private health insurance. We are quite puzzled about the next steps as in which public hospitals to go for (any recommendations), how early should we register at a hospital, and what about midwives and what are their role in pregnancy system australia etc. Our GP did blood test for my wife and he is preparing some documents/referrals.

Also, heard about baby bonus and paid parental leave etc but not clear of what it is and how it works. Any benefits that we would need to know as a family? Any tips greatly welcomed as I need to plan everything smooth and safe for my darling and our baby...

She is doing part time job at the moment and have got some interviews lined-up this week for permanent roles. This will be our first baby and very exited about it

Thanks in advance

Cheers
Sorry, I also don't have the answer to question. Just dropped by to say congratulations and good luck
Old Feb 20th 2011, 9:06 pm
If all else fails...smile

smiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations to you both! Ems x
Old Feb 20th 2011, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

kronk has a brilliant futurekronk has a brilliant futurekronk has a brilliant futurekronk has a brilliant futurekronk has a brilliant futurekronk has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by zakatori
hello

Thanks in advance

Cheers
My case pretty much mirrors yours. We moved to Sydney on 175 visas nearly 6 mths ago and I am 20 weeks pregnant. I had the same concerns as you but this isn't my first baby so mine were more how the care would differ to the UK.

We haven't got private health care either (wouldn't matter as it wouldn't cover us for pregnancy yet anyway). I think I rang up my local hospital for a booking in appt when I was about the stage your wife is at now. My local hospital wouldn't see me until I was 14 weeks. They then go through your history, are you high risk, arrange your scans, appts etc.etc. Think public hospitals depend on where you live so you'd need to look at your local hospitals and find out which one is best for you. Some of the pregnancy/baby websites for australia are quite helpful in finding out info on hospitals on their forums. My care will be midwife led in my public hospital but if there are issues or medical history, they'll normally send you to a consultant whom will then advise on delivery options.

With regards to the baby bonus/parental leave. My understanding is you have one or the other so you have to work out if its better to have the money or the money & time off. If your wife is going to be working permanent by the time bubs is born then its probably likely that parental leave may be your better option.

Hope that helps and good luck!!