Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

WI-FI routers for home: Which one?

WI-FI routers for home: Which one?

Old May 2nd 2007, 3:29 am
BE Enthusiast

obiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to behold
Default WI-FI routers for home: Which one?

I am planning to get a WIFI -g router and the brands i have been seeing are D-Link ($99), Belkin ($89), and Asus ($69).

Was wondering what routers you guys are using and if you are happy with them? and if they had any compatibility issues with your modems?

I am connected to Optus (384kpbs) with a Thomson SpeedTouch modem. And was thinking of getting the DLink

Thanks!
Old May 2nd 2007, 3:40 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WI-FI routers for home: Which one?

Originally Posted by obiwan
I am planning to get a WIFI -g router and the brands i have been seeing are D-Link ($99), Belkin ($89), and Asus ($69).

Was wondering what routers you guys are using and if you are happy with them? and if they had any compatibility issues with your modems?

I am connected to Optus (384kpbs) with a Thomson SpeedTouch modem. And was thinking of getting the DLink

Thanks!
Dlink and Belkin are shite. Netgear is the way to go, particularly because their user interface is really easy to use. Check out the ozcable guy's router reviews:

http://www.ozcableguy.com/routers.html
Old May 2nd 2007, 3:40 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,12...1/article.html

I have the Linksys wireless-g.

If i were buying a router now I would be looking at voip.

http://voipstuff.net.au/ see bit about Billion routers.

more details

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/index...IP_Sites#=VoIP

Not done it yet but looks straightforward if you know the basics of IP.

Use this for price comparison.

http://www.staticice.com.au/

Ian
Old May 2nd 2007, 3:53 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest, most of the ones you find in Hardly Normals and Dick Smiths are bollocks. I use a Billion 7404 - if anything it was easier to set up than the so-called 'home' models like Dlink and Belkin and it's infinitely more secure and powerful.
Old May 2nd 2007, 4:30 am
Forum Regular

nzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nice

I went with a Belkin. Took about 15mins to set up. Runs like clockwork. All good here
Old May 2nd 2007, 4:58 am
BE Enthusiast

obiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the replies guys,

didn't know there were so many other brands aside from what was carried in Harvey's and Dick's.

Will check out those links..
Old May 2nd 2007, 5:04 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Try billion www.billion.com.au
had one for a while and can't fault it.

Good place to get this is www.ozcableguy.com (follow the like to his shop in Albany Creek)

Thanks!

Last edited by themerlin; May 2nd 2007 at 5:08 am.
Old May 2nd 2007, 6:26 am
UK is Home

Sunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond repute

If our looking for quality and stability and have the $$ go with the Cisco! for general usage and next best go with the netgear or 3Com

Thanks!
Old May 2nd 2007, 6:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Katherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really nice

May be worth considering the security issues highlighted in this article

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6595703.stm

Hope it's helpful. We have used a Belkin network without any issues.
Old May 2nd 2007, 7:05 am
In melbourne

silver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant future

I use a US robotics UR9108. It does ADSL2+ which is useful as a lot of providers are offering the greater speed. It has a wireless print server which is useful for printer sharing without leaving a computer on. I would also recommend looking at one with range extender technology as this gives a better signal through out the house. Also as others have said one with built in VOIP.
Old May 2nd 2007, 7:38 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

Bit of advice re security.

There are two types: WPA and WEP.

WPA is more secure but having spent the day diagnosing why the wireless connection goes funny after coming out of standby it turns out to be that WPA doesn't like the instability of coming out of standby. Something to do with my security set-up of Antivir, Boclean and Prevx1.

Everything is fine using 10 digit WEP, MAC filtering, and disabled SSID.

Just enough to stop the neighbours using your bandwidth!!

Ian
Old May 2nd 2007, 8:18 am
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute

Draytek Vigor series.
Old May 2nd 2007, 11:12 am
The Murphsters

The Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to all

Dude, i would reccomend ditching the modem and investing in an all in one ADSL Router/Wireless unit from Linksys, D-Link or Belkin. Less hassle and less parts to go wrong. easy to set up all you need is your username / password. Your phone line connects right into the box and you are set to go. The firewalls built into these units are first class and lets you not bother about a firewall on your PC's.
Old May 2nd 2007, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

As someone with lots of experience of this stuff I'd recommend you stay away from all those cheap crappy brands, Belkin, Netgear, Linksys are all rubbish. You should look at a Draytek 2800G. These are a business class ADSL router at a price only a little higher than the home user stuff. I supplied lots of these in the UK and now several here in Australia and I've never had one that failed. As regards to the others, at 1 time I used to supply Netgear - out of 10 I supplied I had to replace 4. Netgear are maybe the best of the cheap stuff but I would never supply one again.
I now work in an IT business on the Sunshine Coast and the first thing I did was stop selling Netgear, they had already gone through all the others suppliers and found them unreliable.

Anyone recommending Belkin should try selling and supporting them, they may have a presence in the UK but here they are practically unheard off and have a terrible reputation.

Like most things, you get what you pay for - do yourself a favour and invest in a Draytek. It will be reliable and work without problems for years

Look at www.draytek.co.uk or www.draytek.com.au
Old May 3rd 2007, 9:23 pm
karma? You make your own!

adriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Hutch
To be honest, most of the ones you find in Hardly Normals and Dick Smiths are bollocks. I use a Billion 7404 - if anything it was easier to set up than the so-called 'home' models like Dlink and Belkin and it's infinitely more secure and powerful.
I've got a Billion also. It was pretty easy to set up, but I had some challenges that was probably more ISP related than anything else. If you some IT skills, I'd not hesitate to recommend one. Otherwise, I'd opt for a Linksys. I had one when I was in Europe, and I recently sent one up for a mate down in Canberra, and they have become pretty well a 'one button set up'.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.