Wi Fi

Old Sep 2nd 2005, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

samjam will become famous soon enoughsamjam will become famous soon enough
Default Wi Fi

hi all
we're off to oz in a couple of weeks and have bought a laptop so that we can stay in touch on the move.Just wondering if this wi fi is what its all cracked up to be.i.e can we use it at airports, hotels etc. and how do you connect when you dont have an ISP
Also, we are selling our p.c over here and dont want the buyer to be able to access our emails and private data stored on our hard drive when we sell it that we have deleted as we have heard that this is possible.
Apart from re installing XP is there anything we can do to prevent this..
many thanks
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

lippy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Wi Fi

You can download a programme for free that wipes out all your history - do a search from google I can't remember what its called.

Didn't use wi fi so can't answer that but there are plenty of libraries and internet cafes for keeping in touch.
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 7:06 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

If you really want to keep your personal data personal - then a full wipe's the only way. It's ridiculously easy to get information back hard drives, even ones that have been formatted. The only way to be certain, to quote Aliens, is to nuke it from orbit - or in other words, use something like this - http://www.killdisk.com/ - to destroy all vestiges of your stuff. Takes a couple of minutes and then you can just do an unattended XP install.
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 7:10 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, and as to wi-fi - if it's free, your wi-fi card will simply spot the network, ask you if you want to connect and off you go. If it's a paid-for thing, you'll have to stump up some cash and will be given log-in details - when your card's logged on to the network you simply log-in via your browser and surf away.

Happy travels.
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 7:16 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by samjam
hi all
we're off to oz in a couple of weeks and have bought a laptop so that we can stay in touch on the move.Just wondering if this wi fi is what its all cracked up to be.i.e can we use it at airports, hotels etc. and how do you connect when you dont have an ISP
Also, we are selling our p.c over here and dont want the buyer to be able to access our emails and private data stored on our hard drive when we sell it that we have deleted as we have heard that this is possible.
Apart from re installing XP is there anything we can do to prevent this..
many thanks
Wi Fi is not all its cracked up to be in terms of public useage in my experience. You tend to find hotspots few and far between in some countries. However as the technology becomes even more widespread, not particularly a long time I think, then the availability will also. However - its worthwhile having a WiFi card simply because then if you have broadband at home, grab yourself a wireless router and you can use the laptop around the home or garden.

To use wifi in public areas XP (and I think I have this right - I am an evil Mac user) will find the network and it wont be protected and you can just join it. Some other places like some hotels or corporate buildings will give you a password key to use the network.

As to killing your data then you do need to wipe the machine as suggested above. Reinstalling XP does not destroy the data. But then again, practically nothing will if say someone used electronic forensics on the drive. But ultimately its how paranoid you are I guess Personally I would settle for a format and reinstall.
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

samjam will become famous soon enoughsamjam will become famous soon enough

Thanks for your replies..So as I understand it, Outlook/ internet explorer will pick up WI FI?? and then I surf as usual...Will I not have to adjust settings etc? thanks
Originally Posted by Centurion
Wi Fi is not all its cracked up to be in terms of public useage in my experience. You tend to find hotspots few and far between in some countries. However as the technology becomes even more widespread, not particularly a long time I think, then the availability will also. However - its worthwhile having a WiFi card simply because then if you have broadband at home, grab yourself a wireless router and you can use the laptop around the home or garden.

To use wifi in public areas XP (and I think I have this right - I am an evil Mac user) will find the network and it wont be protected and you can just join it. Some other places like some hotels or corporate buildings will give you a password key to use the network.

As to killing your data then you do need to wipe the machine as suggested above. Reinstalling XP does not destroy the data. But then again, practically nothing will if say someone used electronic forensics on the drive. But ultimately its how paranoid you are I guess Personally I would settle for a format and reinstall.
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 10:53 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

This is what happens.

You walk into McDonalds/Starbucks/Airport Coffee Lounge
Turn on laptop, give it 60 seconds whilst it finds the available wireless networks
it may or may not pop up a list - one of the list will be 'Telstra' or 'BT Opewnrold' or 'Vodaphone' or something instead of ' XYzPrivatePixxOffDontUse' . If it doesnt do this then click on Start/Settings/Network Connections (look for icon now saying ' something wireless connection - Select it with the mouse by clicking once then on the lhs of screen click on View Available Networks , then if there are some displayd you click on one and say 'connect'. Some laptops power down the wireless if its built in to save battery power so make sure you know how to power it up - but if it works at home it will work in the ayport etc.

Open up internet explorer
Try and go to ANY web page
A payment page will pop up instead where you either
- Enter a credit card to buy 10m 1hr 24hrs etc ofusage
- buy a scratch card from the place you are and enter the code

Once you've done that it will then connect you for the allotted time and let you use the net for whatever you want. Everything will work fine - anything you can do in Internet Explorer (or mozilla or whatever you use to browse the web) will work.

In HK there are lots of places inthe ayport where its free.
In Most McDonalds, Starbucks etc etc etc hotels etc its chargeable and cannot seem like good value at maybe 5pounds for 30minutes - but if you want an email fix you'll pay....

Last edited by spalen; Sep 2nd 2005 at 10:56 pm.
Old Sep 3rd 2005, 8:16 am

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

Another option in most big developed cities is to get one of these: Kensington WiFinder

Take a wander round the business district and when you find a network (gadget won't tell you if it's secure or not) get ye olde laptop out and see if the network is secure or not, you'd be amazed how many big companies have good security/firewalls etc on the LAN but leave their wireless network and internet connection unprotected. Voila free surfing, allegedly, so I've been told.........