Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why's everyone going to Brisbane?

Why's everyone going to Brisbane?

Old Jan 20th 2005, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

pusky123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Why's everyone going to Brisbane?

Dear All,

From viewing a number of forums it seems lots of people are going to Brisbane, or if not Brisbane, then Perth.

Not having yet visited Australia, could anybody let me know why these cities are so popular compared to say Sydney or Melbourne?

Thanks

Pusky
Old Jan 20th 2005, 10:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

desperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to all
Default Re: Why's everyone going to Brisbane?

Originally Posted by pusky123
Dear All,

From viewing a number of forums it seems lots of people are going to Brisbane, or if not Brisbane, then Perth.

Not having yet visited Australia, could anybody let me know why these cities are so popular compared to say Sydney or Melbourne?

Thanks

Pusky
For me.......Sydney is too busy and not hot enough & Melbourne is way too cold. Why go to the other side of the world and be reminded of our weather here?
Old Jan 20th 2005, 10:22 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Hiya,
I think It's mailnly because of the weather.
In the winter in Oz it was decidedly cool in Sydney in comparison withe Brisbane and that was as far south as I went!

The south east of Oz definately has a more UK like weather and is greener for it. (But warmer)

I like the idea of warmer weather than the UK, even hot summers as long as the house is designed to be cool and A/C at a push.

I think price wise Brisbane is cheeper than Melbourne or Sydney. (but depends on where you wonna live etc)

In the end, take a trip over & make up your own mind.

Bye
Mark
Old Jan 20th 2005, 10:24 pm
wombat42

Dear All,

Thanks

Pusky
Perth and Brisbane are popular with Pom immigrants looking for a better lifestyle in OZ becuase the cost of housing in those two cities are cheaper then Melbourne and Sydney so they can live Mortgage free, also these cities are warmer and get more sun and have good beaches nearby. Less conjested and polluted.

Last edited by wombat42; Jan 20th 2005 at 10:28 pm.

Old Jan 20th 2005, 10:30 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

And us Ex Pats in Melbourne love the fact most go to Brissie or Perth.
Old Jan 20th 2005, 10:33 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Dear All,

Thanks

Pusky

They're probably a bit cheaper, better climate and I'm in one of them
Old Jan 20th 2005, 10:36 pm
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

that not entirely true. i don't own a house, and i doubt i can afford one in brisbane - although i didn't have one to sell in the uk.

i came to brisbane because it was the nicest, cleanest city with the best climate. i was actually stuck down in sydney desperately looking for work in brisbane at one point. i'd lived in both melbourne and sydney (and visited to adelaide, cairns, townsville, darwin, the alice, etc) and while melbourne is nice i couldn't deal with the weather. i hope i never have to live in sydney.

brisbanes median house price is only $10k less than melbournes, and eating out is cheaper in melbourne too. so i think it's becoming a myth that brisbane is cheaper than melbourne, especially when you consider the higher wages in melbourne.

and there are no beaches in brisbane worth worrying about, it's at least a 45 minute drive (depending on where you live) to a decent beach.

Originally Posted by wombat42
Perth and Brisbane are popular with Pom immigrants looking for a better lifestyle in OZ becuase the cost of housing in those two cities are cheaper then Melbourne and Sydney so they can live Mortgage free, also these cities are warmer and get more sun and have good beaches nearby. Less conjested and polluted.
Old Jan 20th 2005, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

jskogsta has a spectacular aura aboutjskogsta has a spectacular aura aboutjskogsta has a spectacular aura about

Nah! I know why "everyone" wants to go to Brisbane .. it's the Metermaids! That's it!!

/Jørgen
Old Jan 20th 2005, 11:05 pm
Account Closed

eatstatic is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear All,

Thanks

Pusky
Because most pom migrants cannot afford Syd/Mel, so have to go to boring overgrown country towns such as Bris/Adelaide/Perth.
Old Jan 21st 2005, 12:10 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eatstatic
Because most pom migrants cannot afford Syd/Mel, so have to go to boring overgrown country towns such as Bris/Adelaide/Perth.
And some of us, who can, still choose it here because its nice .

Last edited by MrsDagboy; Jan 21st 2005 at 12:15 am. Reason: punctuation!
Old Jan 21st 2005, 2:12 am
Forum Regular

GCS15 will become famous soon enough

For our friends in the UK whom may not have gathered it yet.... but Australians are very proud of their own state. My fiance (a kiwi) is only just now starting to understand it. When we arrived in Qld she was a bit cranky pants at all the NSW and Vic bashing (mostly NSW). After a while she got it. Although she still gets a bit testy with me when I talk about moving the border with NSW north so that they can have the Gold coast and then putting up a big fence ala Isreali style or when I go on about how Queensland got ripped off at Federation Or how I consider myself a Queenslander before being Australian.

For those not in the know I have anectdotal evidence of a serious campaign from WA to go it alone. Apparently Victorians and New South Welshmen have a real hard time getting work in WA.

I'd also like to point out that NSW and Victoria both have to upgrade their airports to accomodate the new Airbuses at a $200 million price tag Brisbane is the only airport big enough.
Old Jan 21st 2005, 3:25 am
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
And some of us, who can, still choose it here because its nice .
Alternatively - Because daily commuting from Sydney or Melbourne to Brisbane to be with my partner would be a total bastard The daily timezone changes might increase wear-and-tear on my watch and I like my watch
Old Jan 21st 2005, 3:32 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deadmeat
Alternatively - Because daily commuting from Sydney or Melbourne to Brisbane to be with my partner would be a total bastard The daily timezone changes might increase wear-and-tear on my watch and I like my watch

Haha would be a bugger, but would be good for the frequent flyer points .

Similar reason that Dagboy moved here - because I lived here. Was much easier than us upping sticks & moving to Syd or Melb. Sad part now is that I have suggested moving & I cant drag him away from the place :scared: .
Old Jan 21st 2005, 5:24 am
Just Joined

tracy588 is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Re: Why's everyone going to Brisbane?

I moved from the UK 20 odd years ago to Geelong in Vic & spent the next 15 years going back & forth from there to Bath as I couldn't make up my mind where I wanted to settle.
After coming up to Brisvegas 8 years ago it was one final trip to Bath to say goodbye & I've been settled on the Southside ever since to the extent of actually buying a house for the first time in my life.
I'm not really sure what it is but whatever it is it's here,
T

Originally Posted by GCS15
For our friends in the UK whom may not have gathered it yet.... but Australians are very proud of their own state. My fiance (a kiwi) is only just now starting to understand it. When we arrived in Qld she was a bit cranky pants at all the NSW and Vic bashing (mostly NSW). After a while she got it. Although she still gets a bit testy with me when I talk about moving the border with NSW north so that they can have the Gold coast and then putting up a big fence ala Isreali style or when I go on about how Queensland got ripped off at Federation Or how I consider myself a Queenslander before being Australian.

For those not in the know I have anectdotal evidence of a serious campaign from WA to go it alone. Apparently Victorians and New South Welshmen have a real hard time getting work in WA.

I'd also like to point out that NSW and Victoria both have to upgrade their airports to accomodate the new Airbuses at a $200 million price tag Brisbane is the only airport big enough.
Old Jan 21st 2005, 5:40 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Brisbane is the place to be. That's why so many Ozzies migrate here from the other states. Sydney is not the international capital it's cracked up to be - it's got a nice harbour and opera house and a bridge that looks like the one over the Tyne, and that's it. Melbourne on the other hand, has a dilapidated public transport system, streets that are so wide you can't possibly cross, European weather and European buildings. Who wants to move to Australia and still need to own a coat, that's what I say...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.