Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why's everyone going to Brisbane?

Why's everyone going to Brisbane?

Old Jan 21st 2005, 5:54 am
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future
Default Re: Why's everyone going to Brisbane?

Originally Posted by jayr
Brisbane is the place to be. That's why so many Ozzies migrate here from the other states. Sydney is not the international capital it's cracked up to be - it's got a nice harbour and opera house and a bridge that looks like the one over the Tyne, and that's it. Melbourne on the other hand, has a dilapidated public transport system, streets that are so wide you can't possibly cross, European weather and European buildings. Who wants to move to Australia and still need to own a coat, that's what I say...
Hiya,
Coat & electric blanket!

Now what's this thing about central heating being a distant memory :scared:
(You just have alook through some of the threads in the past!)

Bye
Mark
Old Jan 21st 2005, 6:56 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by pusky123
Dear All,

From viewing a number of forums it seems lots of people are going to Brisbane, or if not Brisbane, then Perth.

Not having yet visited Australia, could anybody let me know why these cities are so popular compared to say Sydney or Melbourne?

Thanks

Pusky
Came to Bris because climate was warmer in winter than other areas of Aus. Not too tropical / not too humid [compared to the top end] and green too [so don't see dry land all year]. Two seasons [as opposed to 4 in Sydney/Melb] and not too far to visit other areas of interest in Aus.

Sydney and Melb = larger cities = higher population= increased density [approx 3.5 m in Sydney/Melb Vs 1.5m in Bris] hence Bris is growth area which provides more jobs [maybe?]. Queensland is also more laid back than some other states [but not feral ] and has everything infrastructure wise.

All in all it suited our needs more than any other area. Not for everyone though. All down to homnework and what you want outta life.

For us, it's Bris

Old Jan 21st 2005, 7:03 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markeh
Hiya,
Coat & electric blanket!

Now what's this thing about central heating being a distant memory :scared:
(You just have alook through some of the threads in the past!)

Bye
Mark
You may, at some stage, need an electric blanket if you dont like getting into a cold bed at night, but you really never need a coat in Brisbane .
Old Jan 21st 2005, 7:24 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

You'll need a coat and electric blanket in Perth. It's bloody freezing in winter here
Old Jan 21st 2005, 7:34 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by renth
You'll need a coat and electric blanket in Perth. It's bloody freezing in winter here
And in Western Sydney. I needed to scrape the ice off my car windscreen down there once.

Old Jan 21st 2005, 7:39 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
And in Western Sydney. I needed to scrape the ice off my car windscreen down there once.
Don't you need a bulletproof vest in western Sydney too?

Look 2000 posts, now wheres my dancing roos?
Old Jan 21st 2005, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

ShellnTez will become famous soon enoughShellnTez will become famous soon enough

i too would like to live in the brisbane area if our application is successful,
there's the gold coast, sunshine coast, not far from the barrier reef, whitsunday islands
shell
Old Jan 21st 2005, 8:09 am
ABCDiamond

Don't you need a bulletproof vest in western Sydney too?

Look 2000 posts, now wheres my dancing roos?
That's Cabramatta

Old Jan 21st 2005, 8:17 am
Just Joined

wattle is an unknown quantity at this point

I spent most of my life in Wollongong just 40 min drive from Sydney. To live in Syd and surrounding suburbs is v v expensive. I'd love to go to Wollongong again but it has boomed so much over the past 5 years that we just couldnt afford it! Our townhouse which was a block from the CBD and a block from the beach sold for $250000 10 years ago, we saw it on the internet not long ago and it was up for $1.5 million! So there is just NO way we could afford it!

Melbourne, well we visted once and it was COLD - just like England LOL and my parents didnt like the atmosphere there.

Perth is an up and coming state and still in growth so houses are pretty cheap.

Qld for us is an ideal location, a drive to the snowy's, a drive to the Rainforests and barrier reef and islands, Housing affordable, plenty of work.
Old Jan 21st 2005, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

ScuntoBris will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=wattle]I spent most of my life in Wollongong just 40 min drive from Sydney. To live in Syd and surrounding suburbs is v v expensive. I'd love to go to Wollongong again but it has boomed so much over the past 5 years that we just couldnt afford it! Our townhouse which was a block from the CBD and a block from the beach sold for $250000 10 years ago, we saw it on the internet not long ago and it was up for $1.5 million! So there is just NO way we could afford it!

I was born in Wollongong (well Port Kembla), my Dad is coming over in March from the UK, and he insists we go down to see where we used to live. (I have no memories of Wollongong - too young)

Oh yeh the thread - we chose Brisbane for the warmer winters, but it don't feel warm when it gets down to single figures at a night.
Old Jan 21st 2005, 8:57 am
Just Joined

[QUOTE=ScuntoBris]
Originally Posted by wattle
I spent most of my life in Wollongong just 40 min drive from Sydney. To live in Syd and surrounding suburbs is v v expensive. I'd love to go to Wollongong again but it has boomed so much over the past 5 years that we just couldnt afford it! Our townhouse which was a block from the CBD and a block from the beach sold for $250000 10 years ago, we saw it on the internet not long ago and it was up for $1.5 million! So there is just NO way we could afford it!

I was born in Wollongong (well Port Kembla), my Dad is coming over in March from the UK, and he insists we go down to see where we used to live. (I have no memories of Wollongong - too young)

Oh yeh the thread - we chose Brisbane for the warmer winters, but it don't feel warm when it gets down to single figures at a night.

heheh hi there!!! Well fancy that eh!!! We actually lived in Wollongong, Mt Keira and Mt Kembla as well as a year in Burrawang - Southern Highlands! My dad used to work at Port Kembla on the grain terminals! - I bet your dad was at the steel works???

me and the kids are moving out to Bris/gold coast early April - and hopefully my parents wont be far behind me, they are just waiting to sell their house - have another viewing on Saturday so fingers crossed! I'm finding it all a bit daunting now that I've made my decision to leave UK, I know i'll be fine after a few weeks of arriving but the stress and worry is driving me insane at the moment!
Old Jan 21st 2005, 10:42 am
frozen to the keyboard

Brissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura about

because Brisbane is different from the others on offer. All the cities have there good points.. But Brissie is warmer in winter, doesn't feel quite as crowded, not as much hype about it either. Although Hubby and I aren't going back to Brisbane to live.. even though I'm Brisbane born and bred!! We're heading out West...
Old Jan 21st 2005, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

ScuntoBris will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by wattle
heheh hi there!!! Well fancy that eh!!! We actually lived in Wollongong, Mt Keira and Mt Kembla as well as a year in Burrawang - Southern Highlands! My dad used to work at Port Kembla on the grain terminals! - I bet your dad was at the steel works???

me and the kids are moving out to Bris/gold coast early April - and hopefully my parents wont be far behind me, they are just waiting to sell their house - have another viewing on Saturday so fingers crossed! I'm finding it all a bit daunting now that I've made my decision to leave UK, I know i'll be fine after a few weeks of arriving but the stress and worry is driving me insane at the moment!
Yes, indeed he was on the steel works, funny thing is though he has never worked on the works at Scunny.

My Dad will come out in March but will travel on a normal holiday visa, as my Mum did last year(they are separated). I find it totally absurd, and I am sure they do they that despite having lived here for several years,and having 2 Australian children, they never took citizenship and now will probably struggle to live in Aus, I guess back in the early 70's as 10 pound poms, citizenship was the last thing on their minds!

Wishing you well
Old Jan 21st 2005, 10:57 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ScuntoBris
Yes, indeed he was on the steel works, funny thing is though he has never worked on the works at Scunny.

My Dad will come out in March but will travel on a normal holiday visa, as my Mum did last year(they are separated). I find it totally absurd, and I am sure they do they that despite having lived here for several years,and having 2 Australian children, they never took citizenship and now will probably struggle to live in Aus, I guess back in the early 70's as 10 pound poms, citizenship was the last thing on their minds!

Wishing you well
Scunny as in Scunthorpe???? LOL I'm in Beverley East yorks, but my parents are just outside of grimsby - which is where im moving to in a couple of weeks before i fly out to brisbane!

Yes insane that they didnt go for citizenship! Thankfully we did and my children are now Aussie by decent - phew! So we will fly out no probs!

So is your dad keen on going out to live again?? we are all packing up and going - cant wait despite being terrified, not knowing anyone or the area LOL - i must be insane! But my grandparents are suddenly keen to get out on a retirement visa so fingers crossed!
Old Jan 21st 2005, 11:20 am

Smiffy's Lot has a spectacular aura aboutSmiffy's Lot has a spectacular aura aboutSmiffy's Lot has a spectacular aura about

I love my electric blanket!! Just HOW cold is it and for how long???

Also what time is it dark by in the winter months??? Pleeeze dont tell me I need to bring my car ice scraper too .....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.