Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why are your beaches so Empty?

Wikiposts

Why are your beaches so Empty?

Old Apr 18th 2005, 10:30 am
aussie73

Default Re: Why are your beaches so Empty?

Originally Posted by tonyclark
me too, once it hits 16oC were off in droves with our handkerchiefs on our heads
In Winter in OZ when it is around 15c all the beaches are empty except for a few Poms who think its a hot day.

Last edited by aussie73; Apr 18th 2005 at 10:33 am.

Old Apr 18th 2005, 10:33 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by aussie73
In Winter in OZ when it is around 15c all the beaches are empty except for a few Poms who mistake for being a hot day.
They still have the flags out at Bondi for them in mid winter. In June the water is still 19C in Sydney, warmer than the air. In december it is only 16C and that is a wake up call when you jump in.
Old Apr 18th 2005, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

numbers is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by bondipom
They still have the flags out at Bondi for them in mid winter. In June the water is still 19C in Sydney, warmer than the air. In december it is only 16C and that is a wake up call when you jump in.
yeh thats right, takes all summer to warm the sea up, and the paradox is (as well in the UK) that the sea is damn cold at beginning of summer but nice right up until late autumn. I go surfin in the Gower SW Wales, and its funny to see all the people hit the beach one the first day of warm weather, but get a shock in the sea. Best time in Uk is Sept to OCt, and i guess OZ its May/June.

IS the East Coast same Sea temp as West Coast??
Old Apr 18th 2005, 10:44 am
aussie73

Originally Posted by Megalania
This help?:

The real reason OZ's beaches may seem empty is becuase OZ is one of the largest countries and the largest island in the world with 33,500 km's of coastline, with a small population of 20 million, apart from crowded city beaches most of the rest of OZ's beaches in rural areas probably seem empty, except for popular surf and swimming beaches in summer.

Last edited by aussie73; Apr 18th 2005 at 10:47 am.

Old Apr 18th 2005, 10:48 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tonyclark
yeh thats right, takes all summer to warm the sea up, and the paradox is (as well in the UK) that the sea is damn cold at beginning of summer but nice right up until late autumn. I go surfin in the Gower SW Wales, and its funny to see all the people hit the beach one the first day of warm weather, but get a shock in the sea. Best time in Uk is Sept to OCt, and i guess OZ its May/June.

IS the East Coast same Sea temp as West Coast??
I have not been to the west coast yet. Water is warm now and it is sunny so I am off for a quick swim before work.
Old Apr 18th 2005, 7:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of light

None of our family are great sea-swimming worshipers hence thats why we're looking to live out in the Hills.

We do all love the beach, paddling and rock pools, etc etc though so it makes the decision to come to Adelaide all the more perfect as we wont have too far to drive to find some sand and waves
Old Apr 18th 2005, 7:33 pm
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

I have not been to the west coast yet. Water is warm now and it is sunny so I am off for a quick swim before work.
Just come out of the Indian Ocean and its lovely, I would say its probably low 20's at the moment, my pools showing 23c and its feels pretty similar when I dip the toe in . Air temp was about 29c earlier so you do notice the difference when you first get in the sea, but after you've paddled out through a couple of sets your soon warmed up.

Steve
Old Apr 18th 2005, 7:39 pm
Badge

well, well, you learn something new everyday!!!!

My personal cut-off for the pool is now 20c. If it's colder than that I don't swim.

Badge

Old Apr 18th 2005, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

gdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to all

Hi

The Colebecks: Marino, Hallet Cove and (a bit further away) Port Noarlunga would be the nearest places to Adelaide for your hobbies!

As for the beaches being quite unpopulated: we went to a beach for Australia Day, the following day when we told Aussie relies and my husbands Aussie workmates - they were amazed that we had spent MORE THAN 20 MINS ON A BEACH!! :scared:
Old Apr 19th 2005, 12:54 am
BE Enthusiast

TheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by gdcollectables
Hi

The Colebecks: Marino, Hallet Cove and (a bit further away) Port Noarlunga would be the nearest places to Adelaide for your hobbies!

As for the beaches being quite unpopulated: we went to a beach for Australia Day, the following day when we told Aussie relies and my husbands Aussie workmates - they were amazed that we had spent MORE THAN 20 MINS ON A BEACH!! :scared:

Thanks for the info ... just wanna be there NOW!
Old Apr 19th 2005, 1:04 am
Jammy Dodger

floss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nice

You swim across the current but never swim against the current. Not even the strongest swimmer can swim against a rip. Eventually you will come free from the rip but then you may have to swim back in with large waves behind you. I have helped rescue one boogie boarder who got tired in large surf. Another 8 people were being rescued by the surf lifesavers. I put him on the surf board and paddled in a bit until the surf rescue could get back out.

The bigger the wave the bigger the rip but even a small amount of wind chop can generate a current.

http://www.ripcurrents.noaa.gov/overview.shtml

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant website Bondipom - thanks.... have always wondered about the whys & wherefores of rips and will make sure all the family has a read.
Old Apr 19th 2005, 1:26 am
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

I've always assumed that it's a weekday, (like when we went to validate) everyone is at work whereas the people taking the pics are on their hols. I'm sure the fact they have so much coastline also helps though.

Presume the same here, beaches must be far quieter during the week.

Cadman
Old Apr 19th 2005, 1:36 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Badge
well, well, you learn something new everyday!!!!

My personal cut-off for the pool is now 20c. If it's colder than that I don't swim.

Badge
Our pool is heated, the thermostat is set at 29 degrees & I baulk at that. Pick the aussie .
Old Apr 19th 2005, 3:01 am
Forum Regular

MARTINIUS is an unknown quantity at this point

Because it is far too hot and you would fry sitting on the beach all day in Australia is the real answer. Even hardened sunseekers in Aus don't stay on the beach all day - you're just asking for skin cancer.
Old Apr 19th 2005, 3:40 pm
Badge

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Our pool is heated, the thermostat is set at 29 degrees & I baulk at that. Pick the aussie .
29 degrees is nice. My view is that if the sea was that cold (20), I would still be swimming in it on a hot day. The same applies to my pool.

I swim to get fit, there is no other reason.

Badge

Last edited by Badge; Apr 19th 2005 at 3:42 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.