Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why you need a $100K a year to live in Sydney

Why you need a $100K a year to live in Sydney

Old Jun 2nd 2010, 3:08 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why you need a $100K a year to live in Sydney

I'd say you also need a $100K income, at least, to live in Perth. That's around $1400 take home a week, I believe.

NEARLY half of Sydneysiders believe they need to earn $100,000 or more to live comfortably - double the proportion just three years ago.

A new poll by the Sydney Business Chamber found 47 per cent of people now consider the New South Wales capital is a six-figure city.

In a 2007 chamber poll, just 24 per cent thought it was necessary to earn $100,000 to live well in Sydney.

In the new poll, 15 per cent of respondents said that they earned six figures. That's more than double the national percentage, with the Australian Taxation Office saying just 6 per cent of Australians had a taxable income of more than $100,000 a year.

The poll comes as new analysis of Australian Bureau of Statistics data shows grocery prices rose above the rate of inflation between March 2007 and March 2010.

Residents are paying at least $2 more a kilo for meat in Sydney as well as more for milk, cheese, bread and butter, some fruit and vegetables and tea and coffee.

http://www.news.com.au/money/money-m...-1225874212552
        Old Jun 2nd 2010, 4:07 am
        BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute
        Default Re: Why you need a $100K a year to live in Sydney

Having been here for a few weeks I'd have to agree, although I suppose you could live for less depending on what you define as a "reasonable" standard of living. I'm not even talking about buying, renting a decent place costs big bucks too.
        Old Jun 2nd 2010, 4:11 am
        ABCDiamond

Funny thing is though, that article says that 53% reckon you don't need $100k or more

And ... with only 6% of Australians having a taxable income of more than $100,000 a year, then ... 94% of Australians seem to get by on less than $100,000 a year, although that is down to 85% of Sydneysiders getting by on less than $100,000 a year

Old Jun 2nd 2010, 4:28 am
        BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
        85% of Sydneysiders getting by on less than $100,000 a year
        To me that is a simply amazing stat...
        Old Jun 2nd 2010, 4:30 am
        ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by freebo
        To me that is a simply amazing stat...
        Maybe they don't have mortgages ?

Old Jun 2nd 2010, 4:52 am
        BE Forum Addict

Maybe they don't have mortgages ?
        I'm sure many don't but not 85%...
        Old Jun 2nd 2010, 6:13 am
        Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of

what a load of bollocks...depends what part of sydney??
        Old Jun 2nd 2010, 6:21 am
        BE Enthusiast

Mr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of light

Well considering I earn just $63k I am doing quite comfortably. I dont have a mortgage or a car, and have still had 4 international holidays in the last 3 years, as well as about 10 domestic short trips.

I have a nice place close to the train on express services, have plenty of food, paying the electricity, phone/internet and rent is never an issue and I can still afford nice luxuries like a good laptop and good clothes.

I think most of these people think they are entitled to gold plated, jewel encrusted houses and cars.
        Old Jun 2nd 2010, 6:40 am
        BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mr Grumpy
        I think most of these people think they are entitled to gold plated, jewel encrusted houses and cars.
        An awful lot of people here seem to have them, hence my comment, wonder if its all on the never-never.
        Old Jun 2nd 2010, 6:41 am
        BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Welshie
        what a load of bollocks...depends what part of sydney??
        Good point, I'm living & working on Darling Harbour ATM, which isn't exactly representative.
        Old Jun 2nd 2010, 7:10 am
        Simply happy in Sydney!

LittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of light

We manage on much less than that in Sydney. Family of four, only OH works. We live in a nice house (with a mortgage) in what we consider to be a nice area, we have two cars and manage fine day to day. But then we don't have children at school yet, and we don't really have what I would call expensive taste in things. We don't eat out and, for the time being, we holiday close to home. I have been thinking of going back to work at some point, but until the children are at school we will try to manage without.
        Old Jun 2nd 2010, 7:19 am
        Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I honestly cannot imagine getting by on $100k in Sydney. I am not living there yet but have been doing my research and it just does not seem possible. We could manage if we dipped into savings to see us through temporarily but we really need more than this to be comfortable I think.
        Old Jun 2nd 2010, 7:34 am
        ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
        I honestly cannot imagine getting by on $100k in Sydney. I am not living there yet but have been doing my research and it just does not seem possible. We could manage if we dipped into savings to see us through temporarily but we really need more than this to be comfortable I think.
        I think it does depend on comfort levels, and on what the housing costs are. This of course also depends on what part of Sydney you live in.

Old Jun 2nd 2010, 7:41 am
        Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I think it does depend on comfort levels, and on what the housing costs are. This of course also depends on what part of Sydney you live in.
        Well we are quite happy to live out of town to save money, a good hour commute in is acceptable. But I am no spring chicken and so want to live a relatively comfortbale life nevertheless
        Old Jun 2nd 2010, 9:11 am
        Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

housing costs are key, and more importantly, the level of your deposit when you arrive here.

Look again at littlekittykat's post....

We manage on much less than that in Sydney. Family of four, only OH works. We live in a nice house (with a mortgage) in what we consider to be a nice area, we have two cars and manage fine day to day. But then we don't have children at school yet, and we don't really have what I would call expensive taste in things. We don't eat out and, for the time being, we holiday close to home. I have been thinking of going back to work at some point, but until the children are at school we will try to manage without.
        The casual reader might misinterpret this to mean that an average family can get a nice house and 2 cars in sydney and cope comfortably on less than $100k, with the mum being able to stay at home and look after the kids.

However that is pretty far from reality for most newly arrived immigrants. If littlekittykat had posted a rough figure showing the purchase price of her family's house, and a rough value of the deposit, then a clearer picture would be presented.

(in the absence of this info I'll make a stab in the dark, bought a house for $720k, homeloan of $250k).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.