Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why are you moving to Oz?

Why are you moving to Oz?

Old Nov 7th 2008, 11:05 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why are you moving to Oz?

I stole a satsuma and a penny whistle and the beak's sentenced me to transportation.
Old Nov 8th 2008, 8:38 am
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Louiseh86
I would've liked to have gone travelling and so would have my husband but things got in the way ... mortgage, marriage, jobs etc.

Louise x
That's ironic, as it happened to us the other way around. We were half way around the world (in Australia as it happens - sold the house to fund the travelling) when my wife fell pregnant with our first. We were both pushing 40 and had lived in several countries and travelled the world before kids 'made' us think of settling down. We're now hoping to get back to Oz to settle before the kids (2 of them now) start schooling.

- CDM

Last edited by CDM; Nov 8th 2008 at 8:40 am. Reason: Spelling corrections
Old Nov 8th 2008, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CDM
- Better [sized] house for the money

compared to an Oz salary Oz houses are not cheap but perhaps you may get more for you buck than your pound...but not in a city. Quality of build leavs a lot to be desired

CDM: I guess that depends on what you mean by 'not in a city'. We're planning on living in a Melbourne suburb. Melbourne is a city but I wouldn't call living in the suburbs living in the city. Size for size, there's a huge disparity between what can be purchased in the South East of the UK compared to Melbourne - no contest here!

- Better weather

can't argue with that but some days its too hot to go out! Melly has shitty greay days too...

CDM: Agreed on both counts but that still leaves a LOT of very nice days to enjoy over the course of a year. Compared to the UK, that's definitely a step in the right direction. Chalk another one up for Oz here.

- More of an outdoor lifestyle

there is a massive lack of culture in oz for anything historical...lots of beaches though

CDM: We spent 7 years in Florida where there's also a distinct lack of anything historical. I'll still miss the castles here in the UK but we have no real beaches here so I think well call that a fairly even swap.

- Better life for the children (currently 2 & 3 - not yet in school). OK, this is more of a wish than an expectation. I'm not terribly impressed with the overall schooling system in the UK. Private schooling in Oz is MUCH cheaper than in the UK.

err.....can't agree here. Private does not equal good and you can't compare private in Oz to private in UK. Standards also incredibly difficult to compare. My opinion is good and bad all over. Don't write off your average UK school....very good IMHO

CDM: You can't agree on Oz being a better life for the children or on the issue of the quality of schooling in general?

- Cheaper overall cost of living

don't agree....food, petrol, clothes, anything for school was all expensive. Can you get a school shirt in Oz for the equivalent of £1...you can at Tesco.

CDM: Are you saying petrol is more expensive in Oz than in the UK? I find that difficult to believe but I stand to be corrected. BE has various threads in which people comment on the good quality fresh fruit/veg to be had - but also that there's less choice in supermarkets. Perhaps we'll call that one a draw.

- Closer to relatives that we like. This is a double-edged sword since we'll be farther away from parents and siblings - the only true downside that I can see so far.

think about this.....major concern when you have been away for any time. I love visiting my dad now he is in the autumn of his life

CDM: I've already spent 18 years living outside of the UK so I'm no stranger to 'being away from family'. Phones and the Internet make the planet smaller anyway.

- Better working conditions

have you experienced Oz trains ?.....Trains in Sydney are FAR worse than the trains I get to London.

CDM: Yes I have. The mainline that runs from Frankston to the CBD in Melbourne is a better quality of train that the Southend Victoria to London Liverpool Street - and there's no cramped, hot (or cold) and failing tube network to worry about either. Plus, it's staggeringly cheaper to travel by train in Melbourne than it is in Essex - absolutely no comparison on this one I'm afraid - a clear win for Oz!

I stand to be corrected on any of these issues but these are my own findings based on having spent a few months in Melbourne, discussed with relatives that have lived there for twenty-odd years as well as my own research through sites like this one over the course of the past year or so.

Just for clarity, I've lived in teh UK for 20+ years, Holland for 8 years, Florida for 7 and have also travelled extensively around the world - and then some. I'm quite happy I'm going into this with my eyes wide open.

- CDM
Ignore these people, they don't WANT you to enjoy Oz, for their own reasons. Come here, try it, hopefully you'll like it, if not the UK will always be there...
Old Nov 8th 2008, 9:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twinset
We are moving for our kids, the outdoor life and focus on sports.

I am a mad keen diver, photographer and wine drinker, my wife loves sunshine and our kids love being boys - out and about, free to roam. So we want an environment where the weather and levels of street crime/religious intolerance/bleedin' misery!! are more manageable than where we live at moment.

I have noticed as I grow older that I want more heat (maybe the hours spent in 8 degree C water). My wife was brought up in a hot climate, so Oz here we come. It was 40 degrees plus on Christmas day in Perth last year and we loved it......bring it on!!

Disagree with posts ref weight issues in Oz - every chart that predicts the rise in obesity in the developed world has Oz at the bottom of the pile - least
likely to have problems with this compared to Uk and particularly Scotland!!

It has one of the highest levels of adult participation in organised sports in the world.

And anyway, we fancy a change.......will work hard wherever, just prefer my time off in the sunshine.....

Twinset
I would really like to read your evidence.There is no way that Australia is at the bottom of the pile in the question of over weight people.It is a problem here and the government in recent times has been addressing this major health problem.
Yes both UK and USA are greater in numbers but that makes it no less a big problem.
If you want to look at countries where levels of over weight are far less then loof across the channel in your present home in France.'
Lived there three and a half years prior to coming to OZ.
Countless people coming from abroad often comment on how over weight people are here and i really mean a lot.
In fact Australia is rather a passive country when it comes to exercise.Just take a look at people say over 35 male and female to get an idea what i mean.
Old Nov 8th 2008, 9:49 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

how are these statistics compiled anyway> no one has ever came round to weigh anyone i know, so i assume they are just guesses
Old Nov 8th 2008, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

Tomski Tribe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I never had doubts before I came out, but I had been here twice on holiday before applying for PR.

However, maybe because I "expected" perfection from my 'holiday experiences', I did have problems settling.

A return to the UK, vowing never to set foot in Australia again, seemed to change things.
I was then able to compare "real life in Australia" to "real life in England" and ....

Well, I am now back and totally settled in Australia, although in QLD, not Sydney were I originally went.

It is good to have doubts, think about things, find out more info, and as Baden Powell said "Be Prepared"

I have some 'what if's' as well.

What if I had never come here in the first place ? Would I still be wondering ?

What if I had never returned to the UK ? Would I be stuck here, hating things ?

What if I had never been divorced.... OK, that's easy.... [deleted!!!]

LOL!

Some good advice for me to chew on there - thank you!
Old Nov 8th 2008, 9:52 am
SNH
BE Enthusiast

SNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud of

Sydney's summer averages are quite low compared to most of Australia.

Were you in the Western Suburbs? Because Sydney itself rarely gets above thirty, and all their temperature records (around forty degrees) were set way back in the 1920s and 1930s.

Whenever I go to Sydney (which is many times a year), I always take warm clothes because it's so much colder than elsewhere in the country. Plus it's windier and rains a lot, so you never really feel the heat.
Old Nov 8th 2008, 9:55 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Well I moved to Australia for the following reasons:

- Fed up with having so many long, varied and pleasant walks in the country with my dog.
- Far too much choice in the supermarkets so ended up not being able to choose, on the brink of starvation I moved to Oz.
- Just too depressing having to buy trousers that you then didn't have to have altered to fit your standard leg size.
- The central heating and good insulation was just too much for me, I hated being comfy and cosy all year round and yearned for freezing my wotsits off during winter and getting heat rash and fungus during summer.
- My dog didn't like the fact he didn't get a 1 hour massage after ever walk to look for ticks.
- Hated having to have an MOT every year and paying so much car tax, much better having REGO and CTP.
- So annoying having good customer service, wasn't able to have a good argument with shop staff.
- I like to know what the neighbours are up to but my house in the UK was too well built and insulated so I couldn't hear when the neighbours went to the loo or farted in bed.
- I needed more excersice and thought the endless arm flapping in summer might be good for my waistline.
- Nothing exciting ever happened with respect the local wildlife, so thought it better to share my house and garden with as many species of killer insect or reptile as possible.

Theres a few hundred more reasons I left the UK but I'm so happy here now they are best forgotten.
Old Nov 8th 2008, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

simon2cairns has a brilliant futuresimon2cairns has a brilliant futuresimon2cairns has a brilliant futuresimon2cairns has a brilliant futuresimon2cairns has a brilliant futuresimon2cairns has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by arkon
Well I moved to Australia for the following reasons:

- Fed up with having so many long, varied and pleasant walks in the country with my dog.
- Far too much choice in the supermarkets so ended up not being able to choose, on the brink of starvation I moved to Oz.
- Just too depressing having to buy trousers that you then didn't have to have altered to fit your standard leg size.
- The central heating and good insulation was just too much for me, I hated being comfy and cosy all year round and yearned for freezing my wotsits off during winter and getting heat rash and fungus during summer.
- My dog didn't like the fact he didn't get a 1 hour massage after ever walk to look for ticks.
- Hated having to have an MOT every year and paying so much car tax, much better having REGO and CTP.
- So annoying having good customer service, wasn't able to have a good argument with shop staff.
- I like to know what the neighbours are up to but my house in the UK was too well built and insulated so I couldn't hear when the neighbours went to the loo or farted in bed.
- I needed more excersice and thought the endless arm flapping in summer might be good for my waistline.
- Nothing exciting ever happened with respect the local wildlife, so thought it better to share my house and garden with as many species of killer insect or reptile as possible.

Theres a few hundred more reasons I left the UK but I'm so happy here now they are best forgotten.
To escape a bad situation here in the uk!!!! time to forget and to feel hopefull of a new start in different country!!! oh and the weather, sitting on trinity beach at the BBQ with partner and daughter having a stubby!
My brother and family are in Tas and my parents are going over to
Old Nov 8th 2008, 4:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really nice

Originally Posted by the troubadour
I would really like to read your evidence.There is no way that Australia is at the bottom of the pile in the question of over weight people.It is a problem here and the government in recent times has been addressing this major health problem.
Yes both UK and USA are greater in numbers but that makes it no less a big problem.
If you want to look at countries where levels of over weight are far less then loof across the channel in your present home in France.'
Lived there three and a half years prior to coming to OZ.
Countless people coming from abroad often comment on how over weight people are here and i really mean a lot.
In fact Australia is rather a passive country when it comes to exercise.Just take a look at people say over 35 male and female to get an idea what i mean.
Depressingly, the figs I was looking at relate to Type 2 diabetes, as opposed to obesity:

http://miscellanea.wellingtongrey.ne...ss-by-country/

For obesity, no-one currently can touch the world champions.......North America!!

Sadly then there is a tier including UK and Oz: what is remarkable is the difference between East and western Europe.

Any one for a burger?

Twinset
Old Nov 8th 2008, 4:21 pm
Banned

earlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really nice

Originally Posted by Hutch
I stole a satsuma and a penny whistle and the beak's sentenced me to transportation.
You should have got the rope....

Hang on.................transportation was a bit harsh.
Old Nov 8th 2008, 8:46 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twinset
We are moving for our kids, the outdoor life and focus on sports.

I am a mad keen diver, photographer and wine drinker, my wife loves sunshine and our kids love being boys - out and about, free to roam. So we want an environment where the weather and levels of street crime/religious intolerance/bleedin' misery!! are more manageable than where we live at moment.

I have noticed as I grow older that I want more heat (maybe the hours spent in 8 degree C water). My wife was brought up in a hot climate, so Oz here we come. It was 40 degrees plus on Christmas day in Perth last year and we loved it......bring it on!!

Disagree with posts ref weight issues in Oz - every chart that predicts the rise in obesity in the developed world has Oz at the bottom of the pile - least likely to have problems with this compared to Uk and particularly Scotland!!

It has one of the highest levels of adult participation in organised sports in the world.

And anyway, we fancy a change.......will work hard wherever, just prefer my time off in the sunshine.....

Twinset

even the au gov disagree with this statement

http://www.healthyactive.gov.au/internet/healthyactive/Publishing.nsf/Content/healthy_weight08.pdf/$File/healthy_weight08.pdf
Old Nov 8th 2008, 9:15 pm
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by aussietobe
Ignore these people, they don't WANT you to enjoy Oz, for their own reasons. Come here, try it, hopefully you'll like it, if not the UK will always be there...
lol oh dear.