Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why are you moving to Oz?

Why are you moving to Oz?

Old Nov 5th 2008, 4:46 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of
Default Why are you moving to Oz?

I'm curious to see if our reasons for wanting to move to Oz are similar to those of others that are making the move. Ours are as follows:

- Better [sized] house for the money - housing in the UK is cripplingly expensive. I like the 'open-plan' floor-plan style housing in Oz. The houses here in the UK are like rabbit hutches and are generally compartmentalised.

- Better weather. We've lived in Florida and are headed to Melbourne - similar in many ways and we like the heat.

- More of an outdoor lifestyle. I do have to admit, however, that we'll miss visiting castles and ruins, which is how we've enjoyed many holidays touring around the Biritish Isles. We'll have to find something else in Oz since there is a distinct shortage of castles there.

- Better life for the children (currently 2 & 3 - not yet in school). OK, this is more of a wish than an expectation. I'm not terribly impressed with the overall schooling system in the UK. Private schooling in Oz is MUCH cheaper than in the UK.

- Cheaper overall cost of living. I recognise things are getting more expensive in Oz so I'm not sure if this really holds water any more.

- Closer to relatives that we like. This is a double-edged sword since we'll be farther away from parents and siblings - the only true downside that I can see so far.

- Better working conditions - i.e., hopefully not such a depressing commute to work on a crap public transport network (particularly in the height of Summer and Winter).

- CDM

Last edited by CDM; Nov 5th 2008 at 4:49 pm. Reason: Spelling corrections
Old Nov 5th 2008, 6:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

philnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud of
Default Re: Why are you moving to Oz?

For me its the following reasons:

1, Outdoor lifestyle
2, The housing, love the cool open feeling to them
3, Free BBQ's in the parks, just love it
4, The Weather is great and better for my health, sort of
5, The Wildlife parks are excellent
6, Met some lovely ozzies in Perth
7, Open roads, love driving in Perth compared to Newcastle

About it I think, jobs prospects see more reasonable for me in Perth compared to the UK to, there is probably some thing else but cant think at the moment.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CDM
I'm curious to see if our reasons for wanting to move to Oz are similar to those of others that are making the move. Ours are as follows:

- Better [sized] house for the money - housing in the UK is cripplingly expensive. I like the 'open-plan' floor-plan style housing in Oz. The houses here in the UK are like rabbit hutches and are generally compartmentalised.

- Better weather. We've lived in Florida and are headed to Melbourne - similar in many ways and we like the heat.

- More of an outdoor lifestyle. I do have to admit, however, that we'll miss visiting castles and ruins, which is how we've enjoyed many holidays touring around the Biritish Isles. We'll have to find something else in Oz since there is a distinct shortage of castles there.

- Better life for the children (currently 2 & 3 - not yet in school). OK, this is more of a wish than an expectation. I'm not terribly impressed with the overall schooling system in the UK. Private schooling in Oz is MUCH cheaper than in the UK.

- Cheaper overall cost of living. I recognise things are getting more expensive in Oz so I'm not sure if this really holds water any more.

- Closer to relatives that we like. This is a double-edged sword since we'll be farther away from parents and siblings - the only true downside that I can see so far.

- Better working conditions - i.e., hopefully not such a depressing commute to work on a crap public transport network (particularly in the height of Summer and Winter).

- CDM
For us started out as something I wanted to do, been there and now we all want to go.
Better climate is a plus. Not sure if life will be better, but if we have there what we have here with better weather then we'll be happy.
Not sure why people go on about a better life? As it isn't guaranteed
Oh and as I've been in Vic in the winter it's not that hot in August and is wet a lot of the time.

Last edited by Australia_bound?; Nov 5th 2008 at 6:34 pm.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 6:32 pm
bring on the sun please

crazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by CDM

- CDM
Like yourself we are thinking of moving for all the same reasons but dont knwoif it is the case of the grass is greener
Old Nov 5th 2008, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

Tellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really nice

Originally Posted by philnorris
For me its the following reasons:

1, Outdoor lifestyle
2, The housing, love the cool open feeling to them
3, Free BBQ's in the parks, just love it
4, The Weather is great and better for my health, sort of
5, The Wildlife parks are excellent
6, Met some lovely ozzies in Perth
7, Open roads, love driving in Perth compared to Newcastle

About it I think, jobs prospects see more reasonable for me in Perth compared to the UK to, there is probably some thing else but cant think at the moment.
For us it is the following:-
1) Housing as above - we are cramped into a small town house.
2) Hubby has a job to go to and will be earning more money so for the first time ever I will be able to work part time (school hours)
3) Family days out that don't cost a fortune, i.e. days on the beach, in the park etc.
4) Children being able to play out instead of being stuck inside because it is always raining!!
5) Better facilities in the school that we have chosen for the children

I will miss my mum and my friends but I can't say I will miss the cold and the rain and it will be lovely to spend some quality time with my kids.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Having read so many posts about people's reasons for moving and expectations thought I would list a few that may be unexpected.

Our supermarkets are nothing like the UK ones prepared food is not big in Australia. Grog is not sold in the supermarkets, separate due to our liquor laws.
Food is expensive now no European economic subsidies keeping prices down here. We do not subsidise anything except private health which makes me mad.
Second hand cars hold their price here especially smaller more economical ones and cars do not rust so there are lots of very old cars around. In fact we got rid of a couple we had had for over 20 years. My brother has a Subaru he bought in the seventies and it still runs.
We buy new cars and run them in the ground most economical way with cars.
If you are a in the building trade you will probably end up as a sub contractor and need an ABN. This means that you employ yourself and therefore need to take out insurance for yourself.
Doctors have lists and in newer areas sometimes its hard to get on a list. We pick our own GPS.
Medicines are paid for here $32.00 average prescription.
Average doctors appointment $60.00 if they do not bulk bill and you get some of it back from medicare.
School books pens etc all have to be paid for in state schools plus they have some fees they like you to pay
Kindergarten is not free and depending where you live can be hard to get a place with our rising birth rate.
People pass on the inside on the freeway. Tailgating is a problem.
Cats have to be registered in Victoria like Dogs.
Bicycle helmets are law
ADSL may not be available in some new areas and you should check before you rent or buy.
Phones and internet are more expensive.
You will not be able to donate blood

There is more when it comes to me I will post.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

daddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to all

Totally agree with above. A pal has just returned from Perth - looks 3 years younger, much healthier and lost a little weight. Her excuse is that it was so much better quality of life and not the mad-house environment over here.....
Old Nov 5th 2008, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

ubdai will become famous soon enoughubdai will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Why are you moving to Oz?

Originally Posted by CDM

- CDM
I would say for me the list meets about 95% of why we are trying to emigrate. As for family, we are presently in Essex and all family in Wales (so no grandparents to look after kids) so can't really see any difference here. Do have some family already in Oz but on the East coast, we are looking at WA, so no difference here either.

Thats my twopence worth.

ubdai
Old Nov 6th 2008, 4:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CDM

- CDM
Pretty much on par with the UK these days cost wise.Must remember wages are lower in most areas here and working conditions vary but can be tough.
The weather is a definite plus factor no contest at all..But it is often very hot in summer and cold in winter in the sense that houses are often poorly designed and built like it is perpetually hot in Australia.(Very Untrue.)
People commute also long distances out here in heavy traffic depending on where living of course.
Not having children i am not personally qualified to comment on education but again it appears to be hit and miss depending on area as in all places.
Children are not seen outside so much but there are a number of family get togethers outside as you mentioned at the beach and free bbqs etc.
Melbourne is considered by many too be the best place in OZ to experience a city vibe and all that entails....arts,culture,cosmopolitan life city and personally for me the best place to live in Aust.
Most UK people come to Perth(and a lot leave)and Brisbane & Coast is fast catching up.
Wishing you a really happy resettlement down under all the best.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 4:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daddyofthree
Totally agree with above. A pal has just returned from Perth - looks 3 years younger, much healthier and lost a little weight. Her excuse is that it was so much better quality of life and not the mad-house environment over here.....
Australia much like UK with some of the largest numbers of over weight people.Much news of late about child obesity. Like UK a lot of kids spend a lot of time on computer etc.
Then there is the other extreme ,diet at all costs ,the body beautiful complex and all that entails.
People ,on reflection are perhaps a little fitter looking than UK but really there is not as much as one would perhaps imagine.All depends on lifestyle.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 5:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CDM
Better working conditions - i.e., hopefully not such a depressing commute to work on a crap public transport network (particularly in the height of Summer and Winter).
After spending one hour and 20 minutes on the bus this morning on my daily 25k commute to work - hope springs eternal!
Old Nov 6th 2008, 5:14 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by 4Margaret
Kindergarten is not free and depending where you live can be hard to get a place with our rising birth rate.
That depends on the State you live in; Kindergarten, like all the other schoool years, is basically free in NSW, for PR etc.

https://www.det.nsw.edu.au/newsroom/...ndergarten.htm
https://www.det.nsw.edu.au/newsroom/...urgekinder.htm
NSW Minister for Education and Training, John Della Bosca, said today that new enrolment figures reveal a large number of schools across the State had experienced significant surges in kindergarten student numbers.

"It is clear we are in the midst of a baby boom with parents turning to public schools to meet their child's needs with kindergartens experiencing overall growth for the first time in 10 years," the Minister said.

Old Nov 6th 2008, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

MattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really nice

I have one main reason why I'm moving to Oz - my girlfriend. She's from Adelaide but came over to the UK last year to work. She's going back home in December and I decided to go over there with her.

To be fair though, I've always wanted to travel, always wanted to live in a foreign country, and lately I've been wanting to get out of my current routine/job/life. So I get to do all of that whilst being with the girl I love. So for me, it's currently looking like a win/win situation

Really? Why's that?
Old Nov 6th 2008, 8:03 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by MattW82
Really? Why's that?
An old news article:
Thursday, 21 September, 2000

There are fears Australia could face a widespread shortage of blood over the Federal Government's ban on donations from people living in Britain during the mad cow disease crisis.

The Government today announced that those living in the United Kingdom for more than six months between 1980 and 1996 would be banned from giving blood.

Old Nov 6th 2008, 8:19 am
Just Joined

djjos is an unknown quantity at this point

Having read so many posts about people's reasons for moving and expectations thought I would list a few that may be unexpected.

Doctors have lists and in newer areas sometimes its hard to get on a list. We pick our own GPS.
Medicines are paid for here $32.00 average prescription.
Average doctors appointment $60.00 if they do not bulk bill and you get some of it back from medicare.
School books pens etc all have to be paid for in state schools plus they have some fees they like you to pay
Bicycle helmets are law
ADSL may not be available in some new areas and you should check before you rent or buy.

There is more when it comes to me I will post.
this sounds like ireland
but average doctors appointment is €50 or $93aus
average perscription is €30 or $55aus
School books pens etc all have to be paid for in state schools plus they have some fees they like you to pay have that here to plus any funding for school repairs comes from familys of the kids
Kindergarten is not free and depending where you live can be hard to get a place with places closing down all over the country.
Bicycle helmets are law
ADSL may not be available in some new areas and you should check before you rent or buy. and when you do get it its crap.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.