Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why when renting a car does?

Wikiposts

Why when renting a car does?

Old Apr 6th 2005, 3:16 pm
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of
Default Why when renting a car does?

My UK cousin and her American boyfriend have come over on holiday, they enquired about car hire, why did it cost $140 more if it was done in my cousins details being British than her American boyfriend.
Are Brits that awful at driving they get charged more for insurace?
Can't quite understand the difference, they said it also cost more for an Australian but I can understand that as they are awful.

Jenny
Old Apr 6th 2005, 3:19 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Re: Why when renting a car does?

Originally Posted by jensteve
My UK cousin and her American boyfriend have come over on holiday, they enquired about car hire, why did it cost $140 more if it was done in my cousins details being British than her American boyfriend.
Are Brits that awful at driving they get charged more for insurace?
Can't quite understand the difference, they said it also cost more for an Australian but I can understand that as they are awful.

Jenny

Dont know, is she under 25?
Old Apr 6th 2005, 4:51 pm
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

i also found that when renting a car in europe if i said i was an australian resident they wanted an extra €120 than if i said i was a uk resident.

guess what i told them??

Last edited by brisnick; Apr 6th 2005 at 4:56 pm.
Old Apr 6th 2005, 5:00 pm

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

There was another thread a while back, I had a play with the Budget Rental website.

Renting in Sydney if you put in your home country as the UK you were charged a lot more than if you booked with a home country as the US and that in turn was more expensive than hiring in Aus telling them you lived in Aus.

I think it's a simple case of them knowing we are used to being ripped off in the UK so will pay inflated prices without batting an eyelid.

I found something similar about a year ago, went to book a trip on the Eurotunnel. Got a quote in pounds and went off to get dinner, when I came back for some reason only the US site was working, looked on this and discovered the same ticket was approx 25% cheaper, so I booked it via the US site with no problems. It was in the paper a while after that and Eurotunnel just shrugged their shoulders and trotted out all the usual tired old excuses why something costs more in the UK and said it had no intention of altering anything.
Old Apr 6th 2005, 5:07 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brisnick
guess what i told them??

F*** Off?
Old Apr 6th 2005, 6:35 pm
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

i think they've changed that now cause i just booked with eurostar and the uk site was cheaper.

uk site £29.50 = €43.30 = US$55.57
us site US$60 = €46.47 = £31.85
euro site €44.25 = £30.33 = US$57.14

there's obviously not a lot in it though!

(btw, when i was looking, the australia site was showing as AU$ 60 which turns out to have been a mistake -wish i'd booked them then tho!!!).

Originally Posted by Flying Banana
I found something similar about a year ago, went to book a trip on the Eurotunnel. Got a quote in pounds and went off to get dinner, when I came back for some reason only the US site was working, looked on this and discovered the same ticket was approx 25% cheaper, so I booked it via the US site with no problems.

Last edited by brisnick; Apr 6th 2005 at 6:37 pm.
Old Apr 6th 2005, 7:35 pm
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Their ages were not the issue, it was purely down to nationality. I did say to her maybe it was because peeps over from the UK do have reasonable amounts of spending money.

Very unfair either way.

Jenny