Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why they so hot on Outside stuff being clean?

Why they so hot on Outside stuff being clean?

Old Dec 10th 2006, 4:43 pm
An Official Visa Holder

toon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why they so hot on Outside stuff being clean?

Just wondered what the real reason is about the outside stuff we have being spotless, is it because of foot and mouth or is there another reason??

Also for those that have taken your hoover is that an issue does it have to be spotless??

What I cant understand is when we went over for the rekkie, in all the stress of leaving mid a HUGE security alert I forgot to clean the pushchair and it really was dirty, no one said a thing!!

So just wondered!!
Old Dec 10th 2006, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why they so hot on Outside stuff being clean?

Originally Posted by toon williams
Just wondered what the real reason is about the outside stuff we have being spotless, is it because of foot and mouth or is there another reason??

Also for those that have taken your hoover is that an issue does it have to be spotless??

What I cant understand is when we went over for the rekkie, in all the stress of leaving mid a HUGE security alert I forgot to clean the pushchair and it really was dirty, no one said a thing!!

So just wondered!!
I think they are concened about mud etc that might be carrying plant diseases, seeds, germs, pests and so on. New plant/animal diseases have the potential to be BIG problems in Australia because they are so isolated from the rest of the world.
I see what you're saying though - shoes etc in your carry-on luggage might be dirty and get through, you might have eaten something before getting on your plane and then carry the seeds over in your digestive tract!
So the system is not perfect or foolproof, but I think they are doing their best to protect Australia from foreign bugs that we might bring in with our things.
I'm sure someone will correct me quickly if I am wrong!
Old Dec 10th 2006, 6:35 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

So just wondered!!
Read this...........
http://www.affa.gov.au/content/outpu...00060B0AA00014
.......................mm
Old Dec 10th 2006, 8:27 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by esperanza
I think they are concened about mud etc that might be carrying plant diseases, seeds, germs, pests and so on. New plant/animal diseases have the potential to be BIG problems in Australia because they are so isolated from the rest of the world.
I see what you're saying though - shoes etc in your carry-on luggage might be dirty and get through, you might have eaten something before getting on your plane and then carry the seeds over in your digestive tract!
So the system is not perfect or foolproof, but I think they are doing their best to protect Australia from foreign bugs that we might bring in with our things.
In addition to this - and Mr Mover's definitive link - during Foot and Mouth a few years back everyone arriving from the UK had to remove all footwear from their luggage to have it disinfected. If you now arirve and say you have been on a farm recently they may still ask to say your footwear when you get off the plane - same with pushchairs. If they see mud on your shoes or pushchair etc they can ask for it to be cleaned too.
Old Dec 10th 2006, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
In addition to this - and Mr Mover's definitive link - during Foot and Mouth a few years back everyone arriving from the UK had to remove all footwear from their luggage to have it disinfected. If you now arirve and say you have been on a farm recently they may still ask to say your footwear when you get off the plane - same with pushchairs. If they see mud on your shoes or pushchair etc they can ask for it to be cleaned too.
I went to Canada during the F&M outbreak in the UK - they made everyone walk through some disinfectant stuff before going through passport control.
They didn't do anything about the trainers & boots in people's bags though.
Makes you wonder if it's more for the media than to actually achieve anything.
Old Dec 10th 2006, 8:36 pm
An Official Visa Holder

toon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
If they see mud on your shoes or pushchair etc they can ask for it to be cleaned too.
See this isnt right because like I said before our pushchair was very dirty covered in mud etc and no one said a word!!
Old Dec 10th 2006, 8:49 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

See this isnt right because like I said before our pushchair was very dirty covered in mud etc and no one said a word!!
I did say "can" - bear in mind that they aren't infallible and therefore probably just didn't spot it!
Esperanza was right to say that they are doing their best to protect Australia, but noone is perfect. I do remember seeing the queues coming in during Foot and Mouth (as I was leaving) and the AQIS guys were being very thorough.
Old Dec 10th 2006, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

mbike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond repute

We had the pushchair thing as well. They stopped us at the airport and had a close look at the wheels, picking out a tiny bit of dirt with screwdriver. The man said "this is a bit dirty, where do you pick it up, Singapore airport?" We just smiled sweetly and he let us through.

Mark
Old Dec 10th 2006, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

mbike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by esperanza
We were at Lake Leschenaultia, 40 kms east of Perth yesterday and right in the middle of nowhere was a small post, like a telegraph pole stuck in the ground with a sign on it. The sign said "European House Borer observation post". They are clearly taking the woodworm invasion threat seriously.

Mark
Old Dec 11th 2006, 9:22 am
An Official Visa Holder

Originally Posted by mbike
We had the pushchair thing as well. They stopped us at the airport and had a close look at the wheels, picking out a tiny bit of dirt with screwdriver. The man said "this is a bit dirty, where do you pick it up, Singapore airport?" We just smiled sweetly and he let us through.

Mark
Will make sure it is sparkling when we return!!
Old Dec 11th 2006, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Will make sure it is sparkling when we return!!
We flew in on the 1 am flight with a very cranky 2 year old in tow. I think the official took this into account.

Mark
Old Dec 11th 2006, 10:36 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

The minute that Stroller { push chair] came out of the hold , there would have been at least 3 dogs ,sniff it .
Any sign of , farm manure , dirt , detritus ...you would not have received your stroller.......... mm
Old Dec 11th 2006, 2:32 pm
An Official Visa Holder

Originally Posted by mr mover
The minute that Stroller { push chair] came out of the hold , there would have been at least 3 dogs ,sniff it .
Any sign of , farm manure , dirt , detritus ...you would not have received your stroller.......... mm
OK, point taken!! I hadnt been near any farms as hence we were ok!! But will clean it for when we leave! (Another thing to add to the To Do list!!:scared: )