Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why Are They Called Snags ??

Why Are They Called Snags ??

Old Apr 9th 2005, 3:05 pm
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold
Default Why Are They Called Snags ??

Does anyone have the reason why sausages are called snags in Australia?

Thanks

Jim
Old Apr 9th 2005, 3:18 pm
I am not the Messiah!

Carruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of light
Wink Re: Why Are They Called Snags ??

Originally Posted by Jimclevs

Thanks

Jim
I am sure this isn't the answer for you but it sounds about right to me what they should be called considering what goes in them.

To me 'snags' does sound like it is describing 'crap meat' and 'leftovers' etc!

Over the last few years and trying to eat healthier I could quite easily do without them and all the other processed food too.

R.
Old Apr 9th 2005, 3:22 pm
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why Are They Called Snags ??

sausages/snags means "lips and arseholes" mate!! barf
Old Apr 9th 2005, 3:45 pm
Merlot

Thanks

Jim
Maybe because they are generally cooked on the barbi by Sensitive New Age Guys!

M

Old Apr 9th 2005, 3:49 pm
I am not the Messiah!

Carruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Rooksie
sausages/snags means "lips and arseholes" mate!! barf
Have you seen the film 'The Great Outdoors'?

The Racoons know best eh!

R.
Old Apr 9th 2005, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

ClareW will become famous soon enoughClareW will become famous soon enough

Boringly, it probably comes from the British dialect word snag, 'a morsel, a light meal'.

Does this post get me membership to Thread Killers Anonymous?
Old Apr 9th 2005, 5:18 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Carruss
Have you seen the film 'The Great Outdoors'?

The Racoons know best eh!

R.

one of my favourites mate!!!! best scene was killing the bat
Old Apr 9th 2005, 5:39 pm
I am not the Messiah!

Smile Re: Why Are They Called Snags ??

one of my favourites mate!!!! best scene was killing the bat
Its a funny film but the racoons talking about 'Lips & Arse' is spot on!

R.
Old Apr 9th 2005, 5:41 pm
Account Closed

Its a funny film but the racoons talking about 'Lips & Arse' is spot on!

R.

one of the best - and the bears arse at the end makes my sides ache
Old Apr 9th 2005, 5:54 pm
I am not the Messiah!

one of the best - and the bears arse at the end makes my sides ache
I agree, forgot about the bears. It was on the TV the other day but we missed it. I am sure it will be on again is say..........3 months judging by how often they repeat everything. This is why we pay for a TV licence to see things over and over again!

Oh, and to Jimclevs, sorry this has gone off on a tangent and you still haven't got the reply you were hoping for........or have you I don't know?

R.
Old Apr 10th 2005, 2:02 pm
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ClareW
Boringly, it probably comes from the British dialect word snag, 'a morsel, a light meal'.

Does this post get me membership to Thread Killers Anonymous?
Thanks Clare

I am still not enlightened by any of the replies - probably have to wait to ask at an Aussie butchers in due course!!

There is no such thing as Thread Killers Anonymous - especially as you have told us your name!

Regards

Jim
Old Apr 10th 2005, 2:04 pm
An Australian Citizen !!

I agree, forgot about the bears. It was on the TV the other day but we missed it. I am sure it will be on again is say..........3 months judging by how often they repeat everything. This is why we pay for a TV licence to see things over and over again!

Oh, and to Jimclevs, sorry this has gone off on a tangent and you still haven't got the reply you were hoping for........or have you I don't know?

R.
No......... I think I'm still none the wiser........ and I haven't seen the Great Outdoors either !!

Thanks

Jim
Old Apr 10th 2005, 2:07 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Jim
Either a shortened version of snaggers or a play on sangers. Take your pick. Either way you will be hard pressed to get a half decent one here, tho there are some that exist.
Old Apr 10th 2005, 2:15 pm
An Australian Citizen !!

Originally Posted by kiwichild
Either a shortened version of snaggers or a play on sangers. Take your pick. Either way you will be hard pressed to get a half decent one here, tho there are some that exist.
Thanks........... I won't even ask the origins of snaggers/sangers.

Jim
Old Apr 10th 2005, 2:19 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Jim
Phew, that's a relief.

When I first read the thread topic I thought your PC was missing off the tail on "h"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.