Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is this why there are too many arguments on this Site?r

Is this why there are too many arguments on this Site?r

Old Oct 22nd 2002, 7:34 pm
Just Joined

user9999 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Too Many Arguments read this.

Originally posted by dotty:
Having followed this Forum for a while and having several immigrant friends I have noticed people seem to go through some very common stages.

1. Anticipation - while waiting for visas. Lots of idealistic thoughts, dreaming about the new country, hard to believe anything can be wrong there.

I move to the US for work from Venezuela and I could not wait to get here.

2. Trepidation - Visas due or received, some concerns now about missing family, finding jobs, leaving home and friends.

I have been already there. Being a holder of a Work Visa in the US, I am used to concerns, missing family, having left home and friends.

3. Holiday mode, arrived and its all new and exciting, novelty of the new life overwhelming and fun.

I am always in a hiloday mode. There's always something new to see and learn everywhere you are or go.

4. Reality, Need a job, finding things becoming more down to earth, day to day niggles set in.

Been there...

5. Disillusion, Suddenly you are the one far away, missing family and contacts, shoe on other foot with currency/ earnings, basic reality that life is not perfect in New Country either.

I am here... can't wait to move to Australia.

6 Acceptance or Rejection, the dream Country is now a reality with all of lifes day to day routines or hassles. People now weigh up if its for them on the realistic day to day life not the dream they once had.

I got used to here... I will get used to there... nothing can be worse than the situation in my own country Venezuela.

Perhaps the above stages, explain why so many like Pommie, Ceri, myself Herman and many others (Stage 6), have very different opinions, from the many here in (Stage 1). Its simple, people are looking at it from very different angles, no doubt all of us were once in Stage one or we would not be here. What do you think?
Old Oct 22nd 2002, 7:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ginny is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Herman:

Whenever people quote ludicrous house prices for the UK, like '20 times the average salary', they are referring to London and I simply respond with an equally 'selective' sample: by quoting for the lower North shore in Sydney. Average salary in Sydney: $40,000, average price of 3 bed house in lower North Shore: $1 million, ratio: 25 times average salary.
PS. your claim that a 3 bed shack in Sydney costs $600k is way off, that would be in the outer suburbs - a 3 bed shack in a half decent suburb within a reasonable commute of the CBD will now cost you at least $800k!
I am returning to North Bristol in the UK (very close to the Severn bridge to wales) where a 4 bedroom house in a country town within 30 minutes of the city centre costs 220,000 pounds. Thats far more affordable than anything I've seen in Sydney and the build quality of the homes is signficantly better than the crap they build out here. (yes, because the weather's worse but it still means homes in the UK dont need full scale renovation every 15 years like they do here!).
Hi there,

It is not just London that are demanding ludicrous prices for houses. In Edinburgh the market has gone through the roof. People are moving up to Dundee and commuting thus bumping up the prices here. Although Dundee is not on par with London the average houses seem to be going for around £40,000 more than the asking price. We could not afford to buy a house in the area we were originally renting and had to move across town just to get a house. Then there is the rest of Scotland, so please it's not just London that ordinary average salaried people cannot afford to live in now the rest of the country is through the roof to.

Regards

Ginny
Old Oct 23rd 2002, 12:26 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Ginny:

Hi there,

It is not just London that are demanding ludicrous prices for houses. In Edinburgh the market has gone through the roof. People are moving up to Dundee and commuting thus bumping up the prices here. Although Dundee is not on par with London the average houses seem to be going for around £40,000 more than the asking price. We could not afford to buy a house in the area we were originally renting and had to move across town just to get a house. Then there is the rest of Scotland, so please it's not just London that ordinary average salaried people cannot afford to live in now the rest of the country is through the roof to.

Regards

Ginny

Whinge , whinge has it not soaked in yet ?house prices are linked to income low incomes low house prices .Banks will only lend on income , there lots of areas in Perth WA that are beyond the average wage earner .My brother inlaw in Fife paid his home off in 7 years not a bad area has views of Edinburgh .Get on with your life and get real there is no free ride anywhere in the world , moaning about house prices has gone on since the the first mud hut was built.
Old Oct 23rd 2002, 3:46 am
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future

Originally posted by dotty:
Having followed this Forum for a while and having several immigrant friends I have noticed people seem to go through some very common stages.

1. Anticipation - while waiting for visas. Lots of idealistic thoughts, dreaming about the new country, hard to believe anything can be wrong there.

2. Trepidation - Visas due or received, some concerns now about missing family, finding jobs, leaving home and friends.

3. Holiday mode, arrived and its all new and exciting, novelty of the new life overwhelming and fun.

4. Reality, Need a job, finding things becoming more down to earth, day to day niggles set in.

5. Disillusion, Suddenly you are the one far away, missing family and contacts, shoe on other foot with currency/ earnings, basic reality that life is not perfect in New Country either.

6 Acceptance or Rejection, the dream Country is now a reality with all of lifes day to day routines or hassles. People now weigh up if its for them on the realistic day to day life not the dream they once had.

Perhaps the above stages, explain why so many like Pommie, Ceri, myself Herman and many others (Stage 6), have very different opinions, from the many here in (Stage 1). Its simple, people are looking at it from very different angles, no doubt all of us were once in Stage one or we would not be here. What do you think?

I was wandering to get to Canada you have to have 75 points is it the same foe Australia ??????
Old Oct 23rd 2002, 5:01 am

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Originally posted by pommie bastard:

Whinge , whinge has it not soaked in yet ?house prices are linked to income low incomes low house prices .Banks will only lend on income , there lots of areas in Perth WA that are beyond the average wage earner .My brother inlaw in Fife paid his home off in 7 years not a bad area has views of Edinburgh .Get on with your life and get real there is no free ride anywhere in the world , moaning about house prices has gone on since the the first mud hut was built.
People on this forum never seem to quite make the link between house prices, local salaries and the simple demand and supply equation. There is always a reason why house prices cost more in some areas than others, Australia included. Why is it that a house in Sydney costs $1 million yet the equivalent in Perth costs $300k? Possibly something to do with the number of people actually wanting to live there? Why do people want to live there? Jobs perhaps? Maybe because its a desirable place to live? Hmm, really have to give that some thought perhaps.......
PS. anyone ever heard of purchasing power parity theory? Never mind.
Old Oct 23rd 2002, 5:09 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

People on this forum never seem to quite make the link between house prices, local salaries and the simple demand and supply equation. There is always a reason why house prices cost more in some areas than others, Australia included. Why is it that a house in Sydney costs $1 million yet the equivalent in Perth costs $300k? Possibly something to do with the number of people actually wanting to live there? Why do people want to live there? Jobs perhaps? Maybe because its a desirable place to live? Hmm, really have to give that some thought perhaps.......
Well - don't tar all forum users with the same brush. And you make no overt mention of the immigration factor which is currently highly significant in Aus and NZ (and UK for that matter) with high impact on housing demand and house price inflation.
Old Oct 23rd 2002, 5:45 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Probably the truest thing I ever read on this site. Same with Uk, if you want to live in Sheffield or some outer Hebridian Island you will get cheap houses. Isolation, lack of facilities equals cheap. Houses are cheaper here because you earn less, and are a very long way from anywhere.
Old Oct 23rd 2002, 5:55 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Yet again you have hit the nail on the head sir, employment, income , location equal living costs.Far too easy for the dreamers to understand .There are places in the World you could not give land away by the same token some of us could not afford to live in the centre of the Worlds capitals.
Old Oct 23rd 2002, 7:33 am
Forum Regular

dpr21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Spot on Herman. Have you yet won the Nobel Prize for Economics you patronising ....? PPP Theory/Big Mac Index or whatever, if a house in Perth costs 300/1000 of that in Sydney but salaries are, for arguement's sake 75% of the Sydney equivalent, then you're better off in Perth (by a factor greater than 2 in this case) - Ignoring tax which makes Perth, in this scenario, even better.

But then like all 'good' economists, you assume everything else remains equal and ignore all the other reasons for moving. For some people (PB) Perth is boring and full of idiots. For me (a cultural philistine) it's great. Perhaps ignorance really is bliss??

DPR

DPR
Old Oct 23rd 2002, 7:38 am
Banned

Originally posted by dpr21:

Spot on Herman. Have you yet won the Nobel Prize for Economics you patronising ....? PPP Theory/Big Mac Index or whatever, if a house in Perth costs 300/1000 of that in Sydney but salaries are, for arguement's sake 75% of the Sydney equivalent, then you're better off in Perth (by a factor greater than 2 in this case) - Ignoring tax which makes Perth, in this scenario, even better.

But then like all 'good' economists, you assume everything else remains equal and ignore all the other reasons for moving. For some people (PB) Perth is boring and full of idiots. For me (a cultural philistine) it's great. Perhaps ignorance really is bliss??

DPR

DPR
Perth also has poor levels of pay and more unemployment that other states , and it also has areas no one on this site could afford to buy into but keep dreaming.
Old Oct 23rd 2002, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

Perth also has poor levels of pay and more unemployment that other states , and it also has areas no one on this site could afford to buy into but keep dreaming.
PB, what are you on? For the Nth time you've completely missed the point.

DPR
Old Oct 23rd 2002, 7:53 am
Banned

PB, what are you on? For the Nth time you've completely missed the point.

DPR
The point is the guys right , Perth is a hick town in the middle of nowhere .Sidney is a World Capital City .The people who move to Perth are not the high earners who flock to Sidney , location is everything ask Londoners.
Old Oct 23rd 2002, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

The point is the guys right , Perth is a hick town in the middle of nowhere .Sidney is a World Capital City .The people who move to Perth are not the high earners who flock to Sidney , location is everything ask Londoners.
PB, has it occurred to you that whether or not Perth is a hick town, some people prefer to live in hick towns rather than 'World Capital Cities'? Furthermore there are people like myself who voluntarily choose to forego high earnings in order to work and live differently? That doesn't make me, or others like me failures. When I earned a (relative) fortune, I was completely miserable even with my 'toys'. I earn less, but enjoy life far more now.

DPR
Old Oct 23rd 2002, 8:18 am
Banned

PB, has it occurred to you that whether or not Perth is a hick town, some people prefer to live in hick towns rather than 'World Capital Cities'? Furthermore there are people like myself who voluntarily choose to forego high earnings in order to work and live differently? That doesn't make me, or others like me failures. When I earned a (relative) fortune, I was completely miserable even with my 'toys'. I earn less, but enjoy life far more now.

DPR
Good for you , must run GBT happy hour waits for no man.
Old Oct 23rd 2002, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Grub is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks DPR
As a Perth resident perhaps you could spare us the time to tell us about your life in Perth- things you enjoy etc etc.
I think this would really help as some people i notice are actually getting so put off by this site they are thinking of reversing their decision. I would personally HATE to have it on my consience (PB) but each to their own. Truth is great, but pointless information is both dangerous and cruel. Dont forget all you people in Oz- you may not like it but many will. Please do not put people off. This site is for advice and help. Please remember that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.