Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why are there so many whinging poms here?

Why are there so many whinging poms here?

Old Oct 25th 2004, 8:57 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why are there so many whinging poms here?

Originally Posted by sunny_samantha
Really don't understand this. We moved here two months ago and life is great. We learnt a lot from this site when we were in the process of emigrating and were really appreciative to this site and to certain people on it. Since we arrived we have logged in several times and all we seem to see is people moaning about the UK/Australia/the price of whatever...WHY? Either you are committed to move or you are not! We were, and still are, yes there are things that seem expensive but there are things that seem cheap. We love it here. If you feel negative then GO SOMEWHERE ELSE AND ANNOY OTHER PEOPLE. You have to understand that when you move to to the other side of the world there are more important issues to consider than - is it hot? does it rain? are there spiders? is bread cheap? will my tv work? (ours didn't - we now have a fabulous 32 inch tv - its great!)
Again just want to say we love it here, we did our research (with help here and we thank people for it) but we find it sad that this site seems to be full of negative whingers at the moment???? if you are not committed to the move then why spend your time moaning here - stay in Whinging Pom land!!!! My personal hate is those that say I earn £X how will I cope on A$X. You are buying a lifestyle not a salary. We have a no worries attiude - if you don't have this then don't bother coming as you wil be on the next flight back
Sorry to rant but this is how I feel.
Glad you are enjoying your new Aussie lifestyle with a 32" tv.
Old Oct 25th 2004, 9:04 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bondipom
Old Oct 25th 2004, 9:05 pm

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bondipom

But isnt there a thread on here somewhere about crap tv in Oz??!
Old Oct 25th 2004, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Grayling
Is this the sort of Petty siilly thread you have in mind?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...sunny_samantha

G

Nice one G !! Knew someone would come up with a good example soon enough
Old Oct 25th 2004, 10:19 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

What I am surpirsed about is that some really havent done there homework. Personally there is no way I could move to another country without first traveling there. Sure it will cost some money, but going blind I am sure causes most of the problems. Then returning which will then cost shit loads more.
Old Oct 25th 2004, 10:46 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wombat42
l don't mind the Poms that come out here and after 6 months or 1 year decide they don't like OZ and go back to the UK. What l don't like is the Whinging Poms who come out here, hate the place but for some strange reason stay 5, 10 or 15 years and spend this entire time complaining or whinging to anyone that will listen how much they hate OZ, what a mistake they made coming here, how much they want to go home and they keep going on about , how hot is it is summer, in winter, l did'nt expect Oz to be this cold, the birds in the trees make a skreeking noise they don't sing like they do in England, the water does'nt taste as good as England, l can't stand the Australian accent, the shops here are'nt as good, the chocolate tastes
different ect ect ect
I'm sure they love you too. Homesick expats of all nationalities worldwide who don't deal with homesickness have a tendancy to whinge.
Old Oct 25th 2004, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

Signman Glen is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Why are there so many whinging poms here?

Originally Posted by sunny_samantha
Really don't understand this. We moved here two months ago and life is great. We learnt a lot from this site when we were in the process of emigrating and were really appreciative to this site and to certain people on it. Since we arrived we have logged in several times and all we seem to see is people moaning about the UK/Australia/the price of whatever...WHY? Either you are committed to move or you are not! We were, and still are, yes there are things that seem expensive but there are things that seem cheap. We love it here. If you feel negative then GO SOMEWHERE ELSE AND ANNOY OTHER PEOPLE. You have to understand that when you move to to the other side of the world there are more important issues to consider than - is it hot? does it rain? are there spiders? is bread cheap? will my tv work? (ours didn't - we now have a fabulous 32 inch tv - its great!)
Again just want to say we love it here, we did our research (with help here and we thank people for it) but we find it sad that this site seems to be full of negative whingers at the moment???? if you are not committed to the move then why spend your time moaning here - stay in Whinging Pom land!!!! My personal hate is those that say I earn £X how will I cope on A$X. You are buying a lifestyle not a salary. We have a no worries attiude - if you don't have this then don't bother coming as you wil be on the next flight back
Sorry to rant but this is how I feel.
Hi Samantha

All I can say is "YOU’VE PUT IT IN A NUT SHELL GIRL" you have virtually put into words a lot of my own thoughts. Lets hope that thing will be a little more uplifting after your post now. I think the reality posts will have to keep coming just to keep peoples feet on the ground like my self (who hasn’t got there yet after lodging in march04 on a 139 visa ).

Have you thought of posting some of the Highs and Lows of your move like Go Banana’s, plenty of members would love to read about your Story.

All The Best

Signman Glen & Sue
Old Oct 25th 2004, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

Signman Glen is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Why are there so many whinging poms here?

Originally Posted by Siren
What I am surpirsed about is that some really havent done there homework. Personally there is no way I could move to another country without first traveling there. Sure it will cost some money, but going blind I am sure causes most of the problems. Then returning which will then cost shit loads more.
Hi Siren
Somthing spooky going on in the forum tonight, another post that has put my thourghts into words, Is there a bl**dy mind reader on here tonight.

Good onya

Signman Glen :scared:
Old Oct 25th 2004, 11:06 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I was planning to post a whole load of positive stuff this week, about last weeks Indy racing, about the week we spent in Surfers, and about my first year in Oz.
However, many of my "realistic" posts have recently been condemned as "negative and offputting", hence I am now reluctant to post anything at all about life here in case it is taken the wrong way.

I'm sure I'm not alone in this - derogatory comments about realistic posts have scared away people who would otherwise be posting lots of upbeat stuff about life here.
Old Oct 25th 2004, 11:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

marysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nice

welcome back Polly you post what you like . as has been said if folk dont like it dont read it but lots of us out here are really grateful for any information based on real experience and we know that everything has its ups and downs so shine on
love mary
Old Oct 25th 2004, 11:14 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I was planning to post a whole load of positive stuff this week, about last weeks Indy racing, about the week we spent in Surfers, and about my first year in Oz.
However, many of my "realistic" posts have recently been condemned as "negative and offputting", hence I am now reluctant to post anything at all about life here in case it is taken the wrong way.

I'm sure I'm not alone in this - derogatory comments about realistic posts have scared away people who would otherwise be posting lots of upbeat stuff about life here.
Yes, I too have been put off posting anything very 'thought provoking' about life here because of getting jumped on by the BE 'politically correct thought police'.

There's a huge element on here who simply wouldn't understand that my complaining about the fact that most Aussie yoghurts contain gelatin (YUK) does NOT translate to 'I think this place is a toilet & want out of here back to the UK'! It simply means that I don't like yoghurt containing boiled down old cows'/pigs' hooves....!

Anya.
Old Oct 25th 2004, 11:26 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

I just don't give a monkey's! If anyone doesn't like what I post, they can just ignore it and I'll ignore them!

So there!
Old Oct 25th 2004, 11:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

sackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by anya4oz
Yes, I too have been put off posting anything very 'thought provoking' about life here because of getting jumped on by the BE 'politically correct thought police'.
Anya.
I think a lot of this attitude you describe is down to intellectual laziness. Far easier to adopt an Orwellian "Australia good, UK bad" mantra than question anything.

Also, if you've visited Oz on holiday and decided living there is "your dream", then gone through the hoops and expense of getting there, the tendency is to do your very best to make the most of it and avoid that dream being shattered. You suppress all critical thought and get very prickly when anyone questions how perfect it all is.
Old Oct 25th 2004, 11:30 pm
Account Closed

eatstatic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sackofspuds
Hmm, so you've been in Oz less than a year and already have the arrogance to tell other people to "move on and get out" if they don't have anything but "positive" comments about the place. How fascistic.

I found during my 4 years there that to utter a word of criticism about Oz was deemed a heresy by certain groups of people, namely Ozzies who'd never been anywhere else and, even more so, new British migrants.

You'll fit right in. Good luck.
The very same thought crossed my mind when I read the original post.

The true blue Aussie attitude that to notice something is bad or could be improved equates to being a whinger. Lets see;

Q"The banks are a rip off and charge like a wounded bull"

A "hold on thats unAustralian mate"

QThe employment conditions are really poor for a western country, why are people "casual for years?"

A "Whinging pom, go have a shower"

Q The houses could be bulit better so that they are not an oven in Summer and a deep frezeer in Winter"

"Jeez she'll be rite mate"!

OK a bit of a steotypical joke. However the Aussies really can not take critzism of the country, they love to give crap about any other place on the planet, but woe betide you if you dare to stray from the yellow brick road of paradise Oz.

Looks to me like Sam has subscribed to the Stralia has no faults, never has had and never bloody well will!!!

Now piss off ya bloody whingin poms, Ill chuck some soap at ya while ya drinkin ya warm beer an losing at cricket!
Old Oct 25th 2004, 11:31 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sackofspuds
You suppress all critical thought and get very prickly when anyone questions how perfect it all is.
And then you come down with a large bump at some point when your rose-tinted specs fall off.
I would never wish this "bump" on anyone, but I know it will happen to lots of people on here at some point...........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.